Raw food is only thing that stops Biscuit's diarrhea but she has stopped eating it! :(

jodiamond

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My 3 month old kitten Biscuit had a period of 1.5-2 weeks of constant diarrhea about a month ago so, as a concerned mummy, I hopped onto every site/thread/forum there was and found that raw food has helped quite a few fellow cat owners who have had to deal with constant diarrhea too. Not having the sufficient equipment to make my own raw cat food (I needed a quick solution as I felt that she was losing weight), I went to the local supermarket and bought commercial raw cat food. This particular brand was made of kangaroo mince and had added calcium and thiamine. When I gave it to her she had no trouble eating the whole serving up and has loved to eat it ever since. Her stool started to go solid that very day.

However, just yesterday I was having a chat with my mum in another room and came back to my room only to find the sandwich I was eating on the floor and my 3 cats licking some of the sauce and egg yolk off it. Since then, only Biscuit has denied the raw food and refuses to eat it. I cautiously gave a small amount of her old commercial cat food (not raw) to see if she would eat that (she did) and a few hours later, her diarrhea was back. She's basically rejecting the only food that has helped her diarrhea.

I'm quite lost on what to do? Is this a serious problem that needs a vet's attention? Although, her energy has been constant and her gums are normal pink. 

I'm not sure what to feed her in the meantime either. Commercial cat food gives her diarrhea and raw food she refuses to eat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site! I have to say that I'm envious that you can buy raw cat food in your local supermarket!

I'm sorry to hear, though, that Biscuit has stopped eating her kangaroo. Have you tried feeding her raw food with another meat or tried her on another brand of raw kangaroo, assuming one is available? Some cats (including ours, alas) tend to get bored easily if they're fed the same thing too often.

(Not knowing what proteins were in the canned foods you'd been feeding or what other raw foods you might have tried before the kangaroo, it's difficult to know what, exactly, makes the raw kangaroo work but not the other food(s).)

Good luck!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not uncommon for cats to like a new food at first and then decide they don't like it.  You can try to find another food that she will eat more consistently or you can slowing transition her to the rabbit she ate previously. You do the slow transition by adding a tiny bit of the new food, little enough that she won't notice it, to what she is currently eating and slowly increasing the amount over several days or weeks until she is eating just the new food.