Raw Food for Dummies - aka ME! :)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, the Do's and Dont's will have to come later. :lol3: I've been working today, but have also worked on putting this together all afternoon. :lol3:

So here goes....

That was...incredible.

I seriously think you deserve some sort of award, or medal for that post. THANKS!
:lol3: Aw thanks. :blush2:

I learned quite a bit! I think I'm definitely convinced that a mostly wet diet is the way to go...my only concern is price. Because raw may be better for Luna but I don't have a lot of time to prep myself, how much, commercially, do you think it would cost per month? She goes through about 1/4-1/2 can of wet per day at the moment, then nibbles on kibble at various times. A usually buy one large bag of Purina per month, so right now I am paying about $17/month for all of it (11 for the purins and about .75/can for 8 cans at 1/4 can per day)
Feeding a higher quality diet is going to cost more than that, no matter what it is, sorry! Even if you wanted to switch to a low-end all canned diet – that $0.75 per can would work out to $22.50 a month (most adult cats eat about one 5.5 ounce can of food a day). If you wanted to improve her overall diet, and move her to higher quality canned only, assuming she’d need that one 5.5 ounce can of food a day, let's say you switch to a rotation of By Nature 95% meat and Nature’s Variety Instinct foods at about $1 or $1.25 a can. That would be about $34 a month. Even if it’s just the By Nature 95% meat at $1 a can, that’s $30 a month.

So let's work through the raw costs. I don't really have enough info to do more than guess, but we can make that work. I'd need to know which Purina dry food - there are a bunch, and I need some idea of the amount and calories to come up with some kind of better estimate. But raw feeding is usually based on the weight of the cat, factoring in age and level of activity.

So how old is she? How active is she? How much does Luna weigh?

And which Purina do you feed, and how much does the bag weigh?

In the meantime, I can give you SOME idea of how much it will cost to feed raw.

My smallest cat, Flowerbelle, weighs around 7 pounds. She eats 3 ounces of raw food a day. That's 90 ounces a month (a smidge more than 5.5 pounds of raw food a month).

My 10.5 to 13 pound cats all eat about 4.5 ounces of food each per day. That's 135 ounces a month - about 8.5 pounds per month.

So if your cost is $3 per pound of food, then to feed 3 ounces a day, it will cost about $17 a month to feed raw (depending on supplements you chose to add – or not); it would cost about $25.50 if she eats 4.5 ounces a day.

If your cost is $4 per pound of food, then to feed 3 ounces a day will cost $22.50; to feed 4.5 ounces a day will cost $34.

If your cost is $5 per pound of food, then to feed 3 ounces a day will cost about $28 a month; to feed 4.5 ounces a day will cost $42.50.

That holds true no matter what raw food you feed – you just need to calculate the total cost per pound, including shipping if something isn’t available locally. Just translate the price into a per pound cost, and multiply by the number of pounds you’d need to feed based on how many ounces per day she’d need (there are 16 ounces to a pound).

Depending on how you choose to feed raw, you may need to invest in a kitchen scale (they range from like $15 - $25).

To look specifically at some foods:

Rad Cat, one of the highest quality (and most expensive) commercial raw foods costs... :wow: is on sale at http://www.onlynaturalpet.com right now! :lol3:

OK, but at NOT sale prices, it's basically $14.50 for the 24 ounce tubs (1.5 pounds each) on that site. I never fed Rad Cat, I have no idea how that compares to local pricing for most people. :dk:

At 3 ounces per day, you'd need 4 tubs of whatever proteins for the month (technically it would be enough for a month and two days). Including shipping (I used Cleveland, OH to roughly estimate "NE Ohio") the total would be about $87.50. That works out (with shipping) to about $14.60 per pound. No need to bother figuring out how much it would cost to feed 4.5 ounces. :lol3: I don't know how much it costs in stores. There is a 10% discount if you order via onlynaturalpet.com and have autoship set up (which you can change your ship dates or cancel the autoship service). But like I said - Rad Cat, especially if you need it shipped, is usually the most expensive. (BTW, the shipping and handling totaled almost $30).

Less expensive options…

Nature's Variety is the most widely distributed. I live in very rural NJ, and I was able to find it in a "local" pet store (our definition of "local" is within 30-45 minutes :lol3: ). (The chain stores usually don't carry frozen raw foods). Even if you're on a raw food manufacturer website, and you don't see a distributor, it's worth calling around. :nod: The websites aren't always accurate. As mrsgreenjeans pointed out, google to find your locally owned pet stores.

Anyway... wow - they've got lamb and venison in chubs now. :clap:

NV frozen raw comes in three formats. Chubs (the cheapest - these look like frozen sausages. With a sharp knife, for feeding one cat it's easy to just "saw" off what you need and dethaw that). They also have bags of patties - these look like frozen hamburgers. The NV patties are 8 oz each, so for one cat, you just dethaw half of a patty of several different proteins, and you're good to go for meals for a day or two. NV also has medallions - these cost a lot more than the other styles. These are 2 ounce small round thingies. For people feeding in multiples of 2 ounces, it's real easy. :lol3: OK! Now there's apparently a new style - "bites." No idea what this is, but I'm seeing them at http://www.petfooddirect.com. They have a wider variety of proteins and styles for the NV frozen raw stuff there - but no chubs. Also, FYI, the petfooddirect.com autoship option results in a 15% discount on all the food vs the 10% at onlynaturalpet.com.

So cheapest are the chicken chubs. They're $7.49 for the 2 pound chubs without autoship discount at onlynaturalpet.com. If I remember correctly, we paid $5 per 2 pound chub in the store. Lamb is... $10.49 for 2 pounds. Oh - the chicken is $16.99 for 5 pounds. That sounds more like it. :lol3: You don't want to feed just chicken. When feeding raw, it is best to rotate several proteins. I'm going to select a range of options at onlynaturalpet.com, figure out how much it all costs shipped to Cleveland, and then just divide that number per pound, OK? So in the shopping cart is the 5 pound chicken chub, a 2 pound lamb chub (only because they don’t have a 5 pound option for sale there), and a 5 pound beef chub. That's enough for 2+ months if she's eating 3 ounces a day. The total is $82.81 for 12 pounds of raw food (of that, almost $32 is shipping and handling). Including shipping, that’s $6.90 a pound. So at 5.5 pounds for the month, the month would cost about $38 (if she's eating 3 ounces a day), and about $59 a month if she's eating 4.5 ounces a day (8.5 pounds of food a month).

If you can find it locally (and it will likely be less expensive in the store), without shipping that’s $4.25 a pound ($51 for 12 pounds of raw food). That works out to $24 a month if she eats 3 ounces a day, and $36 a month if she eats 4.5 ounces a day.

Another quick and easy option that may be less expensive, although it requires shipping is http://www.hare-today.com Tracy’s farm is in western PA – NO idea if you’re close enough to drive and pick it up or not. But assuming not, her shipping is typically really reasonable. And she has a HUGE variety of whole ground animal mixes to choose from. To make the food “complete and balanced” like the other commercial raw foods already are, you add a supplement from her site called Alnutrin for meat/bones/organs. :) It requires one little scoop per pound. What those of us who use it do are dethaw the 2 pound chubs (takes about an hour if immersed in a bowl of cold water), dump them in a bowl, mix in the alnutrin, and then package them up into meal-sized portions and refreeze them.

Let’s use a variety of proteins. I’ll put chicken, turkey, rabbit, pork and lamb in the basket. And the Alnutrin. Now – I chose the large Alnutrin, which works for 30 pounds of meat, but I put 10 pounds of meat into the basket. The 10 pounds of frozen meats cost $31.70. The shipping for everything (to Cleveland) is $18.47 FedEx 2-day. The large Alnutrin costs $22.99 – but it’s for 30 pounds of food. For just 10 pounds, the portion of Alnutrin used costs $7.66. So the 10 pounds of meat, shipped and supplemented, costs $57.83. 10 pounds is more than you need even if feeding 4.5 ounces a day. So the total is $5.78 per pound (shipped and supplemented). If feeding 3 ounces a day, the total is about $32.50 per month (about 5.5 pounds needed a month); if feeding 4.5 ounces a day, the total is about $49 per month (about 8.5 pounds needed a month).

Of course, you can control that cost by not ordering the more expensive rabbit or lamb, and ordering the less expensive beef or something instead. :nod:

If you chose to make homemade (frankenprey or ground), your cost of feeding is usually less, and you control the cost you pay per pound of stuff (if you want to feed ground, you’d have to buy a grinder, and those are a big up front cost). If you buy chicken breast or pork on sale for $1.99 (what I usually pay for those) that brings the cost down a LOT. I do order hearts (duck $2.80 a pound; turkey $2.50 a pound), beef kidney ($1.85 a pound), and turkey thigh chunks ($4.00 a pound) from Hare Today. I buy enough at one time that shipping usually adds less than $1 per pound to the cost.

In the end, it costs me less to feed raw than to feed a high quality canned. That’s one of the reasons I switched. :)

Do's and Dont's later. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think for the purposes of this thread (inquiring about raw, and aspects of feeding) it may be beneficial to have a full viewpoint regarding implementation. Regardless of what I or others choose, it couldn't hurt to have useful information here for others who may want to know! Just because I haven't decided yet shouldn't prevent anyone from posting about your suggestion. I mean, there are some that may choose to do "some" and could benefit from info, or some that may choose an "all" raw diet.

I'm just open to any and all information!
A number of people just incorporate some raw, and don't feed all raw. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmommy8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to give Luna some grain-free Blue Buffalo pate last night. She didn't seem very interested, but didn't refuse it either. We'll see.

I think since we just moved there's a lot going on with new changes, so I'll most likely let her Purina run out and start the transition then. That will give me time to research and plan.

I cooked shrimp last night - she was more interested in the shrimp than her pate!
 I didn't give her any, but I think she may take to meat very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmommy8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still reading your post LDG (Thank you for being so thorough!!!!) But wanted to answer your initial questions.

Luna is 14 months (still a baby!
) , and active. Her energy knows no bounds, but she cycles through the normal "lazy....lazy....SPAZSPAZSPAZSPAZ...lazy...lazy" during the day. I try to play, actively with her, for about an hour a day, especially at night. She is on the smaller side, but I do not know her actual weight. I would estimate about 7-8 lbs. Her vet says she is at a healthy weight and she has no allergies, diseases or other inhibiting food factors.

I feed her Purina Indoors, the large bag, which costs be about 12.00/bag. The weight is a 16lb bag.

I think judging from her interest, she would do best with a mix of dry/wet, with the dry being those raw freeze-dried pieces.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to give Luna some grain-free Blue Buffalo pate last night. She didn't seem very interested, but didn't refuse it either. We'll see.

I think since we just moved there's a lot going on with new changes, so I'll most likely let her Purina run out and start the transition then. That will give me time to research and plan.

I cooked shrimp last night - she was more interested in the shrimp than her pate! I didn't give her any, but I think she may take to meat very well.
You can try a different flavor of the GF BB and see if she likes that.

About moving: Patricia stopped eating wet food altogether, so I stopped buying it. Her new vet told me to feed her wet food again. Curiously, I could not get her to eat the wet BB even though her dry food is BB. She did like Nature's Recipe, but that is not my favorite wet food.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When feeding raw, the usual guideline is to feed 2% - 4% of their bodyweight daily. It's a HUGE range. :lol3:

But for a young, active, healthy 8 pound cat, I'm assuming she'd need between 3% and 4%. That works out to 3 3/4 ounces a day to 5 ounces a day. It's always best to start at the high end but keep track of their weight at least weekly, and decrease as necessary. I'm guessing she'd settle in at around 4 ounces to 4.5 ounces per day (if feeding only wet raw. It would be less if supplementing with canned, kibble, or freeze dried raw).

I don't have time tonight to estimate the calories she's eating now, but I will. Obviously when feeding raw, the calories per meal can vary a LOT, depending on whether a meal is chicken or lamb - which is why feeding is usually done as a percent of body weight, assuming the calories fed average out over time. :nod:

FYI, most of us feeding raw feed 3x a day: morning before work, around dinner time, and before bed. Works for most kitties. :)

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let’s use a variety of proteins. I’ll put chicken, turkey, rabbit, pork and lamb in the basket. 
Can I ask why you'd choose to feed pork? I live in the Netherlands and here it is adviced against feeding raw pork, since this can contain Aujeszky's disease. This disease is letal to cats. At the moment the Netherlands is considered Aujeszky free, but I still dare not take the risk. Is Aujeszky's disease not a risk factor in the US?

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I ask why you'd choose to feed pork? I live in the Netherlands and here it is adviced against feeding raw pork, since this can contain Aujeszky's disease. This disease is letal to cats. At the moment the Netherlands is considered Aujeszky free, but I still dare not take the risk. Is Aujeszky's disease not a risk factor in the US?
If Aujesky's disease existed in the U.S., you would not be the first to mention it.

I don't know any American pet food companies that use pork, so it surprises me than some people feed raw pork.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is the history of the eradication program in the U.S.: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicati...nt/printable_version/pseudo_rabies_report.pdf

It took a little while to determine whether or not there have been any reported cases of the disease since its eradication in 2004, but on a Florida State site, I found the answer: there have been no reports of pseudorabies (Aujeszky's disease) in the U.S. since 2003. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/health-disease/pseudorabies/

Here's the USDA page swine diseases and their status: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/swine/

And the surveillance plan in place since 2008: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/swine/prv/prv_surveillance_plan_final_draft_04_16_08.pdf

I definitely wouldn't feed my cats wild boar or bear. :nono: But I see no reason for concern in feeding commercial pork to my kitties.

Other pork-related sources of potential illness were discussed in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241184/pork

I see no reason for being overly cautious. The statistics are higher that I'd die getting hit by a bus than one of my kitties dying from pseudorabies - yet I go outside and walk and drive around. :dk:

Last edited:

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If Aujesky's disease existed in the U.S., you would not be the first to mention it.
What an odd reply... If it was prohibited to ask a question someone else might have asked before in the history of the world wide web, you might as well close forums down all together. 

As I wrote: the Netherlands is Aujeszky free as well. This is not a guarantee that it will stay this way though. At least not over here, because of the open borders in the European Union and the way things are organized. Things might be different in the US, I don't know, so that is why I asked.
I don't know any American pet food companies that use pork, so it surprises me than some people feed raw pork.
Actually they do use it. For example: http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/porkandsweetpotatoflavor.php  and http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/productpages/entrees-dog.php#pork  and http://www.evangersdogfood.com/?p=30107

Feeding pork is not a risk when it is cooked. Aujeszky does not survive heat. So it can be safely used in pet food like kibble or canned wet food.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an odd reply... If it was prohibited to ask a question someone else might have asked before in the history of the world wide web, you might as well close forums down all together. 

As I wrote: the Netherlands is Aujeszky free as well. This is not a guarantee that it will stay this way though. At least not over here, because of the open borders in the European Union and the way things are organized. Things might be different in the US, I don't know, so that is why I asked.

What makes you think I said you are prohibited from asking a question?

Feeding pork is not a risk when it is cooked. Aujeszky does not survive heat. So it can be safely used in pet food like kibble or canned wet food.
"When it is cooked" tells me you should never give a cat raw pork. But is that only because of a disease Americans don't know about?

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the history of the eradication program in the U.S.: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publicati...nt/printable_version/pseudo_rabies_report.pdf
It took a little while to determine whether or not there have been any reported cases of the disease since its eradication in 2004, but on a Florida State site, I found the answer: there have been no reports of pseudorabies (Aujeszky's disease) in the U.S. since 2003. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/health-disease/pseudorabies/
Here's the USDA page swine diseases and their status: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/swine/
And the surveillance plan in place since 2008: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/swine/prv/prv_surveillance_plan_final_draft_04_16_08.pdf
I definitely wouldn't feed my cats wild boar or bear. 
 But I see no reason for concern in feeding commercial pork to my kitties.
Other pork-related sources of potential illness were discussed in this thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241184/pork
I see no reason for being overly cautious. The statistics are higher that I'd die getting hit by a bus than one of my kitties dying from pseudorabies - yet I go outside and walk and drive around. 
I never said Americans don't know about Aujeszky. 

If it can be guaranteed pork is free of Aujeszky I know no reason you should not feed it raw. It just cannot be guaranteed here. That is why I asked. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"When it is cooked" tells me you should never give a cat raw pork. But is that only because of a disease Americans don't know about?
It's called psuedo-rabies in the U.S. (so Americans definitely DO know about it, just under a different name. My uncle lost his hogs to it in the '80s), and it's been eradicated. So has trichinosis. So there's no reason not to feed raw pork :dk:. I don't think I'd risk it if I couldn't be sure where the pork is coming from, though (like in the Netherlands, with open borders for meat). But USDA pork should be as safe as any other meat.

Last edited:

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's called psuedo-rabies in the U.S. (so Americans definitely DO know about it, just under a different name. My uncle lost his hogs to it in the '80s), and it's been eradicated. So has trichinosis. So there's no reason not to feed raw pork
. I don't think I'd risk it if I couldn't be sure where the pork is coming from, though (like in the Netherlands, with open borders for meat). But USDA pork should be as safe as any other meat.
Oh ok, I used the wrong name! Sorry about that. I searched for it on wikipedia and it looked like it had the same name. My mistake.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called psuedo-rabies in the U.S. (so Americans definitely DO know about it, just under a different name. My uncle lost his hogs to it in the '80s), and it's been eradicated. So has trichinosis. So there's no reason not to feed raw pork
. I don't think I'd risk it if I couldn't be sure where the pork is coming from, though (like in the Netherlands, with open borders for meat). But USDA pork should be as safe as any other meat.
Oh ok, I used the wrong name! Sorry about that. I searched for it on wikipedia and it looked like it had the same name. My mistake.
I've heard both. '[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Aujeszkys Disease', I believe, is the proper name. 'Pseudo-rabies' is the common name.[/color]

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it can be guaranteed pork is free of Aujeszky I know no reason you should not feed it raw. It just cannot be guaranteed here. That is why I asked.
And that's a big difference between the EU and the US. :nod: If you KNOW your meat is from the Netherlands... but it is prevalent in the wild boar population, and I don't know what steps are taken to prevent wild boar from "intermingling" with pigs used for meat consumption. Steps to prevent this from happening were part of the eradication program in the U.S.

And yes, the difference in time as regards the eradication also provides more comfort here than there. :nod:

It's called psuedo-rabies in the U.S. (so Americans definitely DO know about it, just under a different name. My uncle lost his hogs to it in the '80s), and it's been eradicated. So has trichinosis. So there's no reason not to feed raw pork :dk:. I don't think I'd risk it if I couldn't be sure where the pork is coming from, though (like in the Netherlands, with open borders for meat). But USDA pork should be as safe as any other meat.

I've heard both. 'Aujeszkys Disease', I believe, is the proper name. 'Pseudo-rabies' is the common name
:yeah: I'd actually forgotten is was called Pseudorabies until I went to look for when the last reported case in the U.S. was. It is called both names here, you didn't use the wrong name. :)

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so now we know in the U.S. it is safe for a cat to eat raw pork and there is another name for pseudo-rabies. Got it.

Moving on, is it nutritionally advisable to feed a cat raw pork? Commercial cat foods rarely include pork, so I am wondering why domestic cats should eat it. Is the reason for the rarity of pig-based cat foods, in both cooked and raw forms, only economic?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's because Jewish and Muslim pet owners wouldn't buy it? Idk :dk:. It can't be for economic reasons because pork is usually the cheapest meat available. Last year pork prices were so low, a lot of farmers said it wasn't worth the gas to truck the pigs to auction. You'd think more pet food companies would take advantage. But I'm sure there's plenty of pork in "meat by-products" and "meat and bone meal".