Raw Feeding Chronicles....

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I offered the new little gray cat a dollop of my fresh raw mix alongside her regular serving of Natural Balance and she went for the raw first.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten (newest addition from last weekend) decided that indeed, raw is the best thing that's ever happened to kittens. I never even offered it, he went finding the dish and started scarfing down what was left when the Bengals had their fill (and I think he ate more weight in raw than what he actually weighs...)

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I gave up on beef for awhile. I reason I tried it to begin with was the fact that all 3 of my biggest raw fans preferred the beef NV medallions over the other meats. So, yes...it's not as "natural" as poultry for them, but it's what they wanted - so I tried it. I don't get their problem with my home made beef batches, though.

Anyway, chicken is going fairly well...but boy are my arms tired. I think it's about time for an electric grinder.
What brands and models do you guys recommend?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, argh!! You've been grinding chicken with a HAND grinder??? Ouch!!

I have a grinder called the SamBaere SB-700 1000-watt grinder and it's adequate for fryer chickens up to 4 1/2 pounds or so. I paid about $80 for it online. I'd recommend stepping up to the SB-500 1200-watt grinder just for the extra oomph and sturdiness. If you're looking at a different brand, look for a reverse function and a circuit breaker and internal gears made from metal and all external parts that contact the meat made from stainless steel, and make sure it's easy to take apart and clean.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been chunking mine and adding a supplement, but I'm on a mission to get everybody eating "from the carcass." My chunks started out more as dicing, and have now graduated, thankfully, to much larger chunks which they are getting strong enough to eat. It's also taking a lot less time for me to mess with it.

Pogue has started tearing into the huge chunks with a vengence and I honestly don't know where all he puts it all, cause he's just tiny and he's eating twice his size in food.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did the hand grinder for a few batches. That wasn't fun. It is amazing what the electric grinder does for time. I can grind 10 pounds of meat in under 5 minutes. It is awesome.

I got the Northern Tools, 1200 watt with reverse from Amazon. It got great reviews and people who purchased both the more expensive Tasin and the NT like the NT as well or better. Super easy to clean and use. Only thing, like all the grinding plates is that they darken/rust as soon as you wash them. I hand was them and then coat them with Olive Oil.

I got free shipping on it as well.

ETA I paid $99 for it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Northern Tools 1200 watt grinder is the same unit as the SamBaer SB-500 grinder. As is the Tasin TS-108 if I can go by the picture. But that price from Amazon is an excellent price. It's half the price of the Tasin and it's only a littler more than what I paid for 1000 watt grinder, but it's a sturdier and more powerful grinder. I'm pretty tempted to buy one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sheesh! You guys are ambitious! Damita is off raw, on dry & wet. Even though it's not good for her. The raw + Ringworm meds were making her miserable.

I've got raw medallions thawed in the fridge, will try again for supper.
I could really use a vacation from her.

Should I start with Damita & the raw medallions just like I did back in Feb as thought I am just introducing her to raw??

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the further info on the grinders. I will check all of that out and probably order one this week.
The ones I found locally were either $100, and looked like they probably couldn't grind a hot dog, or else the other extreme - $495 for the super deluxe grinds-a-ton-an-hour or some such sales pitch.

Beandip, Junior, and Momma are all team players on the home made now (chicken of course). I think Pixel may be my next convert, we'll see.

Natalie, I would say yes - probably act as if you're starting over...it depends on Damita, really. If you think she'll just dive in to a medallion then I would go for it.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you re: Damita. I think Beandip is prolly right in that it all depends on Ms. Damita. I have to buff up the raw for Noel and Bagheera.. as they sniff at the plain raw but won't actually venture to eat it unless I mix it with something like tuna.

We get 16 paws up for Tuna and four paws down for anything except raw chicken. It occurs to me that perhaps I have too many paws around here... my sister kept saying it was a tactical mistake to let them outnumber us....

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How's everyone doing on raw feeding?

Wow, this is an excellent thread! Last week I bought NV chicken+turkey raw frozen for our cats, now 1 yr old. The store owner recommends Primal because most of her customers who feed raw find their pets prefer Primal than NV. Feeling uncomfortable about buying without any research, I told her I'd like to try NV first. She then told me to be sure to introduce it slowly.

I ran home like a kid with new toy, quickly put one in the fridge to defrost for next day feeding. Next day I halved the medallion and put in their plates. Normally during feeding time, especially dinner because they know they're getting canned food, would stand up on their hind legs & meow like crazy. It was dead silence as soon as I put it down. Both were 2 feet away with their backs facing me, they look at me like "how can you do this to us!" I then mix wet food (what they normally get) with it- nope, still dead silence. I try offer from my finger, with parmesan cheese, a tiny bit on dry food/favor treat...STILL dead silence. I cave in & open another can of wet food.

2nd day I decide to mix only pea size into their canned food. Fred (gets 1.5 oz wet) didn't even notice but Ginger (gets 1/4) is eating more slowly. Fred finished his & ate last two bites of his sister's. I think Ginger still can taste the raw so when I offer her the rest of her food (another 1/4), I didn't mix any.

As of yesterday, 5 days later, Fred can eat 1/4 raw mix with 1.5 oz wet and Ginger still stucks on pea size raw mix with 1.5 oz wet. Neither will touch raw by itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Rone, it is a long & difficult process for some!
Stick to your guns, you can do it! I only feed occaisonal raw to Damita, the foster kittens love it so they get it reglarly.

THe lamb that was rejected is now liked a lot. The beef, not so much!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may notice your cats becoming more and more "lively" as you get them more and more onto raw food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

You may notice your cats becoming more and more "lively" as you get them more and more onto raw food.

that is an understatement... Raw food gave me alot of extra time and good time with Kandie...I only wish I has learned sooner

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww
sharky

Yeah, my raw babies have *tons* of energy. That being said, though, they won't *touch* premade.
In any case, I'm feeding the other two non-raw babies Innova Evo (and phewy...!!! does their poop stinkies!) So, I am desperately trying to get them (okay, really it's sort of half-hearted at the moment) over to raw. They do eat it when it's mixed in wet, but I'm really sort of trying to get them into eating wet food on a more regular basis. Then I'll start getting them more on the raw altogether.

The kitty on the all raw diet doesn't even have stinky poo... cant' even tell when he's pottied. All the others could fumigate an entire neighborhood, though.

I think at this point raw meat is actually less expensive than Evo. Considering I'm paying $40 for 15.5 pounds.. which lasts..um.. a little less than a month, because the four that are eating it go through about 5 pounds a week... well, they go through a small bag a week (at $20 a bag).. not sure how much was in the small bag.

I need to invest in a stand alone freezer, though. I don't have enough space to buy bulk chicken/meats when they're on sale. I'm trying right now to figure out exactly how much raw the three I do have go through daily, and how much they're going to all five go through if that's all they're eating.

The Bengals eat a considerable amount, as does the Tonk. (that'd be Joyeux, Khan and Pogue).. but they're all three super high energy, and Pogue is still a kitten. I don't think the other two will eat as much. As close as I can figure.. Kahn eats.. about 10-12 ounces of raw a day, Joyeux and Pogue probably eat another 10 ounces together, but they also eat the dry.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beandip and Junior are still on the catnutrition.org recipe...chicken is still the winner. I have fiddled with beef a bit but they aren't too interested. One day I was out of the home made and gave them Nature's Variety, which they ate but not as well as they used to. They have come to prefer the home made stuff.

Pixel likes it and will often ditch her food to clean Junior's plate if he leaves any. Paisley will eat it but canned food seems to be the only thing that keeps constipation at bay for her. I did finally get Pumpkin to try it. She'll eat it with brewer's yeast sprinkles, not without - yet. Leopold loves to steal bites from the container when I'm dishing it up but isn't too thrilled when it's on his plate.
Momma likes it but canned Venison/Pea NB seems to be the best choice for her at the moment. That just leaves Precious, who likes NV beef but not my home made chicken mix.

I held off on the grinder purchase and bought a huge upright freezer instead. I figured there was no sense in being able to grind more, or faster if I had no place to put it.
So I'm still cranking by hand. It's not so bad. It chews up thigh bones without too much trouble.

Heather, I can't get over how much your guys eat. Junior and Beandip eat about 3.5-4oz/day, each. Junior is maintaining his new "thicker" figure on that. He gained 2lbs when I took him off dry food. He needed to (he was scrawny) but wow, I had to slow him down a bit. He would eat 6-7oz but he'd be huge by now if I let him. He's 10.5lbs but he's a small boy, so that's his max weight. The vet oohed and aahed about his muscle tone that last time he was there for an exam a couple of months ago. He looks like a tough guy now. I didn't realize how scrawny he was before.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the kitten, of course, just gobbles down everything. His belly is bigger than he is. The Bengals, though, are both very svelte and thin, they could actually stand to gain a pound or so a piece...maybe more. Khan is.. around 13 pounds, and Joyeux is only about 9, but they could both stand some more weight.

Beandip, did you try getting the constipated kitty a plant to chew on, like that pet grass that they sell at the petsmart? that's what fixed Joyeux's constipation.. none of the psyllium husks or other additives to the catnutrition.org recipe that they suggest fixed her. The cat grass did the trick though. Speaking of which, I need to get another one. I need to just grow a planter full of it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Well, the kitten, of course, just gobbles down everything. His belly is bigger than he is. The Bengals, though, are both very svelte and thin, they could actually stand to gain a pound or so a piece...maybe more. Khan is.. around 13 pounds, and Joyeux is only about 9, but they could both stand some more weight.

Beandip, did you try getting the constipated kitty a plant to chew on, like that pet grass that they sell at the petsmart? that's what fixed Joyeux's constipation.. none of the psyllium husks or other additives to the catnutrition.org recipe that they suggest fixed her. The cat grass did the trick though. Speaking of which, I need to get another one. I need to just grow a planter full of it.
You're right, I should get her some grass. I keep saying that I'll grow some but I haven't gotten around to it.