Raw feeding and parasites-questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you introduce a new protein? Whenever I do, I get the softy for a day, just as an FYI...
Yes, the Lamb. But it was two days later that she had the softer stool. However, without any other aspect to blame, I'm going with the lamb as the culprit. :lol3:

Queen Eva has a very sensitive intestinal tract. And she's really missing her Stella&Chewy's. I'll be glad when the new batch comes. (we had some trouble with a bag and had to send it back)

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet that's it. Specially lamb, which is a rich meat.... Don't worry, it goes away fast.... Just keep in mind that it happens with new proteins :nod: a delay sometimes happens too... Sometimes kitties fed raw don't poop every day, so that meal, or "the consequences" will have a delay of a day or two to show up.
She is taking probiotics, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Carolina, that is very helpful and reassuring. Yes, she gets a Proviable DC every day. Queen Eva has been taking it for almost 2 years. Mazy has been taking it for about 9 months, and now that Jennie is getting some raw, she gets it too.

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only been feeding raw for about one year.  So far there was no problem.  I brought their poop to the vet in the beginning and there was no parasites, so I have been relaxed since.  

If there is parasite, it can always be detected in stool right?  Would there be any other symptons?

Otto, I think it's cool that you are vigilant.  I should be more vigilant, too.  Everytime they have soft stool, I just assume they were stressed by something.XD

My cats seem to do fine with most meats, but they hate quails.  One cat  threw up everytime after eating quail.   Should I be aware of quail?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Space, sometimes if they eat a whole meal of a new protein, they'll regurgitate or vomit. It's best to introduce them slowly - like 10% or maybe 25% of whatever they've been eating. If there are no repercussions - be it vomit or diarrhea - then you can slowly increase the amount.

I've found that with any red meats, including pork and rabbit, Sheldon can't keep them down unless they're 50% or less of any meal.

space1101

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Laurie,  I will try to introduce it slowly again.  Originally I thought there was problem with the quail, was about to eliminate it from their menu.XD

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, there may be. :dk: Sheldon can't eat beef at all. :nono:

But without a slow introduction, there's really no way to know if the problem is just that it's new - or that there's actually a problem with the protein. :)