RAW FEEDERS: Do You Use A Grinder?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not me because I feed commerical raw pet food and buy chubs of ground raw meat to use with a pre-mix.

Are you looking for recommended brands of grinders? The Tasin brand of grinders is popular.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought a Tasin TS 108 today!  

How's that for a coincidence?

I started my cats out on Frankenprey from the time they were kittens and they loved it, but after a year I began to feel as though I spent more time preparing their meals than I did my human family's.  Sourcing the organ meats became an issue too once the small Asian store I shopped at closed.  So I put my two fur-family members on a high quality canned diet which they've loved.  But lately Thirteen has been having some diarrhea and even with Nexabiotic and digestive enzymes (plus a week's worth of Flagyl) she's still on the runny side.  Having ruled everything else out my vet is leaning toward a diagnosis of feline inflammatory bowel disease which REALLY concerns me.  Knowing how well Atticus and Thirteen both did on raw I've decided to transition them both back, but this time I'm going to grind. That way I can prepare two weeks' worth of meals ahead of time.  I even purchased them their very own small freezer which I'll set up either in my butler's pantry or the garage.

I'm actually excited about my decision because I know raw is best for them.  My grinder should be here by the middle of next week, and I can't wait!

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a tasin 108 but I rarely use it. I mostly buy pre-ground from hare today. I loathe grinding. I should probably sell it. 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, darn. If I'd known I would have bought yours. I just checked OneStop and mine has already shipped so it's too late to cancel. Even so, if you plan to sell it you'll have no problem doing so.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, darn. If I'd known I would have bought yours. I just checked OneStop and mine has already shipped so it's too late to cancel. Even so, if you plan to sell it you'll have no problem doing so.
lol no worries. I'm not quite ready to sell it, I don't even know where all the parts are! I suppose it's good to have "just in case," but grinding is too time consuming for me. I'd rather pay a few dollars more and order it pre-ground. It's a good grinder, tho, you'll like it. 

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not grind my own food, nor do I own a grinder.

My cats eat PMR (balanced meat/bone/organ [80/10/10]) for breakfast and homemade ground for dinner. I buy the ground from Hare today as a meat/bone/organ mix and add supplements to balance it.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missmimz and Abby . . . Wouldn't it be a lot less expensive to source the rabbit locally and grind it yourself?

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use a Tasin which I got from onestopjerky shop. I think it is a great little grinder. I use it only for chicken. I make about 15 lbs of that a month so grinding saves me money. I get much of my food from Hare Today and sometimes supplement with Freeze dried and Rad Cat. I think the grinder is fast and easy to use. I kept reading reviews that it is noisy but I don't find that is true,.. I have to admit I would rather not grind, but I have to save money where I can and it doesn't take long.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had to grind meat before and for me it is time consuming and a bit of a pain. Don't have time between college and my other rescue animals. I now buy preground meat from Barkside Bistro. They are the best source I've found locally since I started my journey with raw meat.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Missmimz and Abby . . . Wouldn't it be a lot less expensive to source the rabbit locally and grind it yourself?
I'm not sure if it would be "a lot" less. Hare Today sells if for $4.99 a pound. Can anyone source rabbit locally for cheaper than that?

Since I feed a variety of proteins, I'm still paying for shipping, regardless. With a cat that is allergic to most poultry and intolerant to beef, there's no way I can source llama, alpaca, goat, guinea pig and mice locally not to mention how easy it is to just purchase everything I need online and have it delivered to my door. ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be hard to find rabbit and other "novel proteins"  at supermarkets, especially if one lives in a pretty rural area or an area where there isn't a big ethnic population who may eat those types of meats.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't use a grinder and doubt if I ever will.  I'm close to online sources for preground products and there is a local coop with lower prices than what I'd pay for home ground.   Also if I found myself with that much extra time on my hands, I'd probably do something like set up a local delivery spot for the raw feeding coop or maybe even Hare Today - that would be a big hit in Manhattan as the car-less local population would probably prefer to get frequent small orders.

It matters where you live though.  In some areas of the US, it's much harder and more expensive to order pre-ground online.   And most raw feeding coops are dog-oriented and don't have much that's useful for feeding cats.

nikokat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a tasin grinder as well. Worked well. My kitty started to refuse to eat ground meat though so I switched to frankenprey and it's so much easier! Grinding is a pain and a lot of cleanup. I literally just portioned weeks worth of food for my kitty in a half hour by cutting up and weighing portions and now it's way more consistent how much he is eating per meal as well