Raw Fed Cat -- Poop

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been eating raw for 2 weeks now and now his stool likes like the stool picture on catinfo.org -- light color, dry, crumbly.

Also, A LOT LESS of it, and it has NO smell. (I mean, it smells if I stick my face next to it, but not anywhere near the way it used to smell before! ... In fact, the other day, he poo'd and I didn't even realize it until I went to clean his litterbox before bed.... before, when he poo'd, you could vaguely smell it in the next room!)

It's not like I was feeding him low-quality kibble or canned crap before the transition, either. For two weeks prior to the switch to raw, he was eating high-quality canned commercial (Wellness) and a little Wellness kibble, and the last week before transitioning, 100% canned, grain-free Wellness ... and his poop still stunk...

The difference raw makes is really amazing. I didn't think I'd see a difference like this.
I guess HQ commercial isn't really that HQ - by comparison to raw!

I'm just surprised how healthy and clean my cat is overall now, even in just two weeks time.... smells better...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catattack1985

For two weeks prior to the switch to raw, he was eating high-quality canned commercial (Wellness) and a little Wellness kibble, and the last week before transitioning, 100% canned, grain-free Wellness ... and his poop still stunk...
Because kibble is still kibble
Switch to a more natural diet and the cat responds

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Because kibble is still kibble
Switch to a more natural diet and the cat responds
But even the week he was eating 100% high quality canned (grain-free even!), he still stunk (he was kibble-free at that point..) ... it's the difference between high quality CANNED and raw that really gets me!!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been preaching this off and on for years, but very few listen.

I've sort of given up making a big deal about the benefits of raw feeding. It falls mostly on deaf ears. There are a few people who see the benefit and their cats are so much better for it.

One of the big problems is Vets are mostly anti-raw and that scares people away.

Glad you're seeing the success of it. Keep it up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I've sort of given up making a big deal about the benefits of raw feeding. It falls mostly on deaf ears. There are a few people who see the benefit and their cats are so much better for it.

One of the big problems is Vets are mostly anti-raw and that scares people away.

Well, I am a first-time cat owner (I wanted a cat since I was 5 but mom was allergic, but now I'm older and on my own and I have a job and a house, so I got my dream)
~ so this is all new to me.. but I'm glad I'm starting off right.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

It's an uphill battle, for sure. My ability to discuss sensitive topics without setting off defensive reflexes has definitely improved, just because of this one subject.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie scared me with the white poop.On raw NO SMELL..lol.. vet ( who is a nutrition expert) said no worry very very normal...

Zoey on raw STINKS ... on kibble no smell ... always an exception

Gigi the RB dog had little smell but never went white

denali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have also had a VERY positive experience with my cats stools once switched to a raw diet

He had diarrhea/explosive stools for YEARS on vet prescribed (full of grains, etc.) food and medications. I switched him from this food to a raw diet in September. By October his poops were much less and not foul smelling. He has not had anything but formed non-stinking stools since. It was the best choice I ever made for him. If I have to feed him canned food I make sure now that it is grainfree!!! It has made the biggest difference for my cat and that is the most important thing to me. Not to mention it is much healthier for him as well!!!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two guys are on grainfree kibble and wet food atm. I am switching to raw when they are out of their dry (switch to all wet first then raw). I was just curious after seeing this thread- My one cat has poops that are like rabbit poo..little balls.. the other one has soft stools/ diarrhea most days and normal ones the other days.. The rabbit poop one sometimes stinks bad.. the other cat always stinks HORRIBLE.. I mean the whole house is nasty and it lingers even after I clean it. The vet checked them and their poop and nothing is wrong. They have been eating the same food for months also.. Do you think the raw will fix this? Its a pain to keep the box clean between the two of them and its really stinky..

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well raw food definitely makes for far less stinky poos. In fact my cats poos don't smell at all. Plus... there is less of it, because their bodies are utilizing all they are taking in. Some cats on raw will not even poo everyday. How's that for a side effect of raw!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l can wholeheartedly say YES!

My (at the time) two cats used to foul up the air in my house to the point that l was embarrassed to invite co-workers over right after working a 12 hour shift and not being able to scoop and air out first.

l now have 3 cats, all raw-fed with the occasional canned meal, and the difference is night and day. l can only imagine how much better their insides feel to them.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two guys are on grainfree kibble and wet food atm. I am switching to raw when they are out of their dry (switch to all wet first then raw). I was just curious after seeing this thread- My one cat has poops that are like rabbit poo..little balls.. the other one has soft stools/ diarrhea most days and normal ones the other days.. The rabbit poop one sometimes stinks bad.. the other cat always stinks HORRIBLE.. I mean the whole house is nasty and it lingers even after I clean it. The vet checked them and their poop and nothing is wrong. They have been eating the same food for months also.. Do you think the raw will fix this? Its a pain to keep the box clean between the two of them and its really stinky..
DreamRaider, this is an old thread, so I'm not sure you're going to get a response from the OP. However, as you can see by the posts, the poop outcome to raw feeding has been very positive. I have had a very similar experience with my own cat. When she was on kibble/canned, her poop was very stinky. On almost all raw, virtually no smell. The difference is truly remarkable. There's just so little waste since so much of raw food is bioavailable to them. Plus, I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the food as well. It's worth a try in my opinion because it sounds like both cats have an issue with one or more ingredients in the current food. Rabbit poops and intermittent diarrhea are not normal.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Katluver4life  and Andrya thankyou for your comments, im even more excited now! vaball91, thankyou too. I have heard some of this before but it means more coming as first hand advice. As for their poos- I didn't figure it to be normal for them though it has been that way for months for Diago, the soft poos one. Its like..i know this is gross sorry... but it like starts and ends fine and is very soft in the middle? ew lol sorry! As for misty the rabbit poo'er .. its been a couple weeks. We brought in a sample of each on Friday and the vet said it was clear, and they also examined the cats and they were good too. They drink a lot of water and pee a lot  so I don't think its that as far as the rabbit poos. Anyways I am hoping the raw helps. I have a couple days of their food left and then an unopened 11LB bag sadly.. tried and failed to sell online and pet store wont take it as it expires in November. Its the natures variety with freeze dried raw chunks in it actually.. right now they are on the same kind minus the raw chunks. They don't like any dry food so they don't eat much of it, sadly this means it takes forever to get through but my budget can not justify giving not using a 50$ bag of food .Their canned is BFF  and they only get it twice a week atm because its got fish in it. Once my new cans come in they will get it daily since the new ones are not fish. I think once they are eating just canned I can just start adding some commercial raw to it right? Just not with dry food.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw fixed up all three of my cats' diarrhea/smellies. It also increased their urine output and the urine isn't sticky anymore.

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dream raider...I know the feeling about wasting the kibble you have...I abhor waste. However, $50 is a drop in the bucket compared to a lifetime of pet care. If you are going to do raw diet, just start now....why wait? Isn't a better smelling house worth $50? Give the kibble away, or take it to your vet or shelter as a donation, or put an add on Craigslist for free food. My $0.02

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yea I see what you mean and I agree I just have to try and find the money to buy more food if I skip a month and a half of my budget lol. I was trying to sell it half price because that would resolve it but sadly no takers. Maybe ill try the store again. If not ill have to convince hubby to let me take it from our food budget. Lol.. you don't thinj the raw chunks would help adjust to raw? If not ill just skip it and figure something out.