Raw Diet?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

I agree,
Do you have a holistic vet near you? They are very knowledgeable about raw diets and are the perfect people to see about this.
DITTO ... or a holstic / conventional.. ie a vet who was taught the standard way but has a open mind and often uses conventional and natural medicine together

To the OP : I know that ferrets are carnivores but since they DO NOT exist in the wild why would folks think they would do better on it ??? Just a curiousity

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferrets don't exist in the wild? I never knew that. Hmm

Anyway, I know this thread hasn't been posted to in a while but regarding the Salmonella (and not discounting the kitties that have been diagnosed with it), I don't recall where I read it at, or where the study results were but it was by a vetrinarian and they were saying that most cats diagnosed with Salmonella had *other* underlying problems. It might have been Elizabeth Hodgkins, but don't quote me on that. In any case, what I'm remembering from that study was that the cats (and dogs too, I think) that had been diagnosed with Salmonella either had NOT been tested for other things, even though there were other problems that indicated something else, or had been tested and then when Salmonella was found, it was blamed on Salmonella even though there were other things that could have caused the death. I'll have to see if I can find the study again.

Salmonella (and other bacteria) is the biggest reason I won't purchase premade raw. I can't be certain how it's handled. I can't be certain how fresh it is, if it's been thawed and exposed, how the people who make it clean their machines, process their meats, leave it sitting while they're preparing it without refrigerating it.. etc. The other reason is cost.

It's the reason why I've invested in a grinder, make my own, and occasionally wish I didn't feed my cats a raw diet (usually on the one day in a month that I'm processing 100 pounds of raw meat...)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Salmonella (and other bacteria) is the biggest reason I won't purchase premade raw. I can't be certain how it's handled. I can't be certain how fresh it is, if it's been thawed and exposed, how the people who make it clean their machines, process their meats, leave it sitting while they're preparing it without refrigerating it.. etc
One of the reasons I make my own too, also I prefer not to feed ground meat.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Salmonella (and other bacteria) is the biggest reason I won't purchase premade raw. I can't be certain how it's handled. I can't be certain how fresh it is, if it's been thawed and exposed, how the people who make it clean their machines, process their meats, leave it sitting while they're preparing it without refrigerating it.. etc.
Are you talking about ground meats sold in the grocery store or about specialty raw mixes for pets? I would agree with you about grocery store meat since it's intended to be cooked before eating. However, I don't agree with regard to reputable vendors of raw diets for pets because they're quite aware of bacterial contamination and that their product is intended to be consumed raw. They wouldn't stay in business long if their product was making animals sick. If they're a reputable firm, I wouldn't hesitate to trust their product.

I also grind my own, but it's mostly a matter of cost. My time costs me nothing.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In order to feed your cat a complete, pre-made raw diet the research you need to do is more of the hygienic kind. How is the food handled from point A to point B. What are the signs of the "common" food poisonings in cats and such matters. Not really a lot more research than you have to do switching to any other "complete" catfood.

If you're interested in making your own raw food, you'll need to read, read and read. Ideally you can find an experienced raw feeder that can help you and if you're extremely lucky you might be able to find a vet who can help you.

Blood tests? Well, I haven't had one vet that's pro raw food, but they have accepted that I raw feed my cats and they don't argue with me. They've all told me it's unnecessary to do blood tests because if the food is making the cat ill, generally you'll notice it on the cat before you see it in the blood.

If making the food on your own you'll need to research, but it isn't rocket science as you sometimes might think when hearing vets and petfood manufacturers tell people how extremely hard it is to make your own catfood.