Raw Diet for Congestive Heart Failure

meeshholly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this is the right forum...this is my first time posting anything.

I just adopted an older (7-10 yrs) cat the day after Christmas. I just found out she has CHF, not sure of the cause. I do have a follow up with my vet and will ask some more questions. Sapphire is on furosemide right now - she also has an enlarged heart and grade 3 heart murmur.

I would like to make her food myself - I did order Alnutrin w/eggshell and have been playing around with their calculator - any suggestions on how to get the sodium % between 0.2 - 0.3?

I also actually have the NRC requirement numbers...but even using the usda database and entering the info in Cronometer.com...the sodium level is still almost 1.5 times what the requirement is...

Michelle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meeshholly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to use turkey dark meat (since I get that in bulk for my 2 dogs)....but will use what I need to. I came up with a recipe that calls for 6.1 lbs chicken breast with skin, 7.7 oz chicken liver cooked, 6.4 ox chicken heart cooked and 1 egg with 51 g Alnutrin I think it was 0.29% sodium

I will just have to play with it I guess...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Alnutrin is probably the culprit.  I'm pretty sure it uses lite iodized salt for both sodium and iodine. You'll need to use a supplement with lower sodium or else add your own individual supplements (vit B comples, vit E, iodine, etc) to make the food nutritionally balanced. I can help with the latter if you like. PM me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meeshholly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ugh...and I just bought 2 bags from them too. I am giving her Rad Cat Turkey right now..