raw diet and bone????

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

this is the receipe i am making...look at it -----from here-http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

1 lb swiat fish
2 lb turkey
5.5 lb chicken breast-

added to 4 cups of water, that is added to the meat-

3 teaspons salt
egg  yolks
8000 mg salmon oil
8 grandular supplent pills...Nutricology, ImmoPlex Glandular, 60 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com
400mg vitamin  b-50
1600 iu vitamin E
8000 mg taurine 
14 oz chicken liver

the above was according to a lisa,s receipe at catinfo.org

the question, bone
i stripped the meat  off 10 chicken legs...is this enough bone???????

i was watching a video on youtube by this lady vet , she said the worse diet is a raw diet , that is supplietment defficient...
what about the 10 chicken leg bones????enough

i also give my 2 cats one can of earthborn chicken a day. 5.5oz

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am confused about a couple of things. I don't know what swiat fish is? Fish actually isn't the most species appropriate food. If you're going to include fish, smaller fish like sardines and mackerel are a better bet as an occasional (once a week) snack than as a daily food.

Are the chicken leg bones part of your 8.5 pounds of meat/fish? Or additional to it? If additional, what is the weight of the 10 chicken legs?

It looks like you're doubling the catnutrition recipe with a couple of tweaks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It some fish i bought today at the store, cannot remember , but the name of the fish stated with a S...its filets , no bone...

i shaved the meat off the chicken legs..basically 10 legs, with just a small amount of meat that i could not shave off easily..basically only 10%  of the meat remained..the legs were not counted as meat

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did the leg bones weigh? Why wasn't it counted with the weight of the meat per the recipe?

The reason some vets do not like homemade diets is because some owners cannot/will not follow a balanced recipe and cause deficiencies.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there might have been 1/4 lb of meat...bascially 10 leg bones...i am trying to get the correct amount of calcium figured out....from what i read,,,seems like 10% should be bone,,,is that weight?????

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, I'm a dingbat naturally, but help me understand.  Instead of adding bonemeal for the calcium, you wanted to use real bones?  And instead of buying bone-in breasts you bought drumsticks instead and cut the meat off, but discarded it?  Why not use that meat too?  And why not just weigh the bones?  Wouldn't it work out the same by weighing them and use around 10% of the total weight (ie, if you had 10 lbs of meat, then use 1 lb of bones)?   When you say turkey...what part of the turkey are you using?  I am familiar with Swai.  It's like Tilapia.  It's a lake fish.  Not sure it provides much to a cat's diet.  Probably not heavy in Omega 3's or anything, but it's inexpensive.

I don't have a grinder, so I get my chicken or turkey from a coop (in Phoenix) that is already finely ground.  Then all I have to do is add the supplements and liver!  Unfortunately it's on the high side with the bones, so I do try to sneak in some additional protein (like egg whites) to cut done on the calcium.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i don,t use the dark meat , because one cat does not like it...so i buy breast.....white rib is hard to find for some reason, costco does not sell it, spouts does not sell rib white...if the bone is 10% of the total weight, thats not hard to figure out..i will just weigh the bone next time...i would use bone meal, but i have read its better to use raw bone, and i bought a grinder  awhile back. it does okay,,,though the chicken leg bones makes it work..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=151342&gclid=CKmdk_3uvLkCFWuCQgodNwwAMQ

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

i don,t use the dark meat , because one cat does not like it...so i buy breast.....white rib is hard to find for some reason, costco does not sell it, spouts does not sell rib white...if the bone is 10% of the total weight, thats not hard to figure out..i will just weigh the bone next time...i would use bone meal, but i have read its better to use raw bone, and i bought a grinder  awhile back. it does okay,,,though the chicken leg bones makes it work..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=151342&gclid=CKmdk_3uvLkCFWuCQgodNwwAMQ
Bashas sometimes sells bone-in breasts, so does Safeway.  Problem is finding ANY chicken that doesn't have added sodium solution, unless you get the organic breasts from Costco.  And ,honestly, I've never checked those to see. 

So, I'm guessing that weighing the bones as I mentioned above would work, since I don't do it myself.  Hoping someone else will confirm, but it makes sense to me.  Did you happen to read this thread, since you are using actual bone vs bone meal or another form of calcium.  It talks about all the different choices:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/261077/lets-talk-about-calcium-and-bones

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also use eggshell calcium. It's very easy to make.

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay..if you use eggshell...how much do you add?????

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
okay..if you use eggshell...how much do you add?????
In the Raw Feeding Resources there's a thread about using eggshell and MCHA instead of bone. From that I use about 0.5 teaspoon per pound of meat (I make large batches).

ronss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay....thanks....1/2 teaspoon per lb....i  quess i will have to get a coffer grinder.....]

thanks all for  the help here....

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It helped me to dry the eggshells in a warm oven first. I use a bullet blender, but a cheap coffee grinder would work perfectly as well from what I was told.