raw chicken thighs?

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have just started to feed the farm cats raw instead of friskies wet. got some chicken from costco, but all they had was boneless chicken thighs and breasts. how good are the chicken thighs for cats? are the chicken breasts better or worse than the thighs?

also, do i get some meat from the grocery store that has bones in it?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thighs are better than breasts as they are more dark meat which means more taurine.

I'm confused what you mean about meat with bones? Did you not feed bones from the thighs?

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the chicken thighs were boneless when i got them. so they aren't getting any bones by me feeding them. i mean do i get some chicken that has bones left in it too?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much of the diet is raw going to be?

Ideally you want bone, thigh bones maybe too hard for them to chew--my boys don't get thigh bones, they get wings, necks, backs and ribs.

Leslie

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it can only be 50% of thier diet. the other half has to be dry because i can only feed them once a day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I give thighs and since they are outside youll have little mess..

catattack1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

i have just started to feed the farm cats raw instead of friskies wet. got some chicken from costco, but all they had was boneless chicken thighs and breasts. how good are the chicken thighs for cats? are the chicken breasts better or worse than the thighs?

also, do i get some meat from the grocery store that has bones in it?
chicken thighs are good for cats. it's what the author of catinfo.org uses in her recipe. However, if you're just feeding boneless meat, that's unbalanced (unless the cats are getting calcium elsewhere) -- so you need to add a bone and/or calcium supplement or bone to the meal to balance it out.

research phosphorous & calcium ratios.

you can buy meat at the grocery store that has bone in it........

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catattack1985

chicken thighs are good for cats. it's what the author of catinfo.org uses in her recipe. However, if you're just feeding boneless meat, that's unbalanced (unless the cats are getting calcium elsewhere) -- so you need to add a bone and/or calcium supplement or bone to the meal to balance it out.

research phosphorous & calcium ratios.

you can buy meat at the grocery store that has bone in it........
The only way that i could get my cats to start eating raw was with boneless and skinless meat. Now they are getting lots of meats with bones. Beef, chicken, pork, turkey, hearts, livers, kidneys, tongue,...they'll eat it!

madeleinei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chicken thigh meat is perfectly OK, but they need bone too. Thigh bone is a bit too big and they could chip their teeth on it. I try to keep the size of bone to about mouse or small bird size - chicken wings or necks seem to fit that quite well.
I have one outside cat who is too scared of the other cats to come in, poor lamb. She only gets fed once a day and is very healthy on it. She gets the same as the others, so has two meals at one time. One meat meal, one chicken neck/half wing.
http://bestcathealth.blogspot.com

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked up a tray of the chicken thighs (boneless) to give to the cats. But we feed dry, canned and raw. So they are still getting the extra nutrition they need.

I can't afford to go all raw with them (but know the Oci's would go for it). They do have better muscle since feeding them raw about 2 times a week.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I picked up a tray of the chicken thighs (boneless) to give to the cats. But we feed dry, canned and raw. So they are still getting the extra nutrition they need.

I can't afford to go all raw with them (but know the Oci's would go for it). They do have better muscle since feeding them raw about 2 times a week.
When you say you can't afford to go all raw, are you referring to financials or logistics? Financially, raw is (should be) considerably cheaper than any type of commercial. It took some research to find the right sources (I buy from three different locations to get everything on my raw food shopping list), but my cat food bill dropped from over $200 per month to just under half that when I switched from canned to raw.

Prices vary of course, and ymwv, but raw should definitely not be more expensive than commercial.....

....oh, wait, are you referring to a commercially packaged raw food? 'Cause, yeah, processed raw food is sick expensive. *shudder*

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

When you say you can't afford to go all raw, are you referring to financials or logistics? Financially, raw is (should be) considerably cheaper than any type of commercial. It took some research to find the right sources (I buy from three different locations to get everything on my raw food shopping list), but my cat food bill dropped from over $200 per month to just under half that when I switched from canned to raw.

Prices vary of course, and ymwv, but raw should definitely not be more expensive than commercial.....

....oh, wait, are you referring to a commercially packaged raw food? 'Cause, yeah, processed raw food is sick expensive. *shudder*
here the way I do raw ( not pre done
) I can do all canned at half the price to the same price as raw ... a few yrs ago this was the opposite

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Financially. I can't do it right now. And I'm not sure if I could get the proper ingredients they would need. I honestly have not really sat down to figure it all out.

Plus my biggest concern is when we go to the cat shows - we don't really have anyone to come in to feed the cats - so the ones at home are fed dry for the weekend and when we come home they go back to canned/raw.

presouz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[emoji]128008[/emoji]i'm just starting the whole raw thing what kind of vitamins do you give your cat if you feed her strictly raw?

presouz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just now starting to feed my one-year-old purebred ragdoll raw. Surprisingly she loves it. she stopped eating wet food at 7 mo even though it was a good brand, Merrick pate [emoji]127880[/emoji] I feed my other cat the wet food three times a day and the little kitten would still not eat any wet food she just stopped eating it at seven months old. She wanted was the no grain dry why I started giving her freeze-dried raw dry. So I tried giving it to her in a wooden spoon with some can food and she would lick it off the wooden spoon I think that's really bizarre. She will not eat the canned food from a saucer or a plate but she will eat it from a spoon that I'm holding. Anyway I defrosted some chicken thighs Was cutting them up for dinner and had a small piece left on my finger and I gave it to the kitten and she ate it like it was the best thing she ever tasted. So I gave her a little bit more. And she ate it and chewed it perfectly I know it was doing a good job on her teeth as well, she does get freeze-dried raw duck and freeze-dried raw chicken in freeze-dried raw turkey. But she doesn't like it reconstituted she only likes it dry. So her stomach is used to raw. Now the freeze-dried raw I give her is from a name brand and they do add supplements to it. What kind of supplements do I buy if I don't feed freeze dried and I feed from my own freezer? Thank you for any help

rita-rabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
go to the website completely raw & proud

there is a list of things essential to include in raw feeding.  such as offal, bone, egg yolks etc - just raw muscle meat isn't sufficient nutrition for the cats health.