Raw chicken gone bad?

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made up a batch of the cats food and I didn't notice an off smell until I added the supplements. I usually mix the supplements with water then add that to the meat, but I forgot and added the water first then threw the supplements on top and mixed it. I add taurine, b-complex, vitamin e, and lite salt. After mixing the food smelled different to me. I fed the cats and 3 out of 4 ate it. Vivi refused to eat it so I stuck her's in the fridge and tried again. I smelled it again after she refused and it really smells really weird now. Is the meat bad or is this because I didn't mix the supplements with water first?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At dinner the chicken smelled worse and the texture is off. There is more liquid separation than usual and it looks grainy. I decided to toss it and fed them turkey instead.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you didn't notice an off smell with the chicken itself, I would tend to think it's the supplements. Maybe one smelled different because it wasn't mixed with water first? I don't know, but if 3 out of 4 cats ate it without ill effect, it's probably ok. If the meat smelled bad, I would definitely have tossed it.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once bought B complex for making cat food in a larger amount, but I noticed that the supplement changed before I used it up. I immediately bought new supplements and everyone was fine.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
peaches, that's interesting. Did it smell or look different? I wonder what would cause it to change.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is not a picky eater whatsoever.  I have fed her raw chicken in the morning with no problem, same chicken in the evening and she won't eat it. Chicken can turn bad, fast. 

I trust her smeller a lot better than my smeller, so I tossed it.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
peaches, that's interesting. Did it smell or look different? I wonder what would cause it to change.
It looked different in the capsules when it changed; they were originally powder but then looked wet. They smelled stronger too. I tossed them. I have no idea what caused it, but I just buy smaller amounts now.