Raw chicken bones for cats

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JAY48

Thanks! I'll visit those links. I'll be introducing my cat to raw chicken in the coming week; I hope he'll like it!
How often do you feed your cats? I am currently feeding him thrice a day (at roughly 8 hour intervals). I tried twice a day feeding but he always wants more at odd times so I broke his daily portion to three small meals.
Three times a day is the minimum I recommend cats be fed (at least four times a day for kittens), and that's how I feed mine; cats evolved to eat many small meals a day and can get upset tummies if they go too long without eating (and 12 hours - or twice a day - usually is too long).

AC

siddymeowmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cats are raw fed, and they frequently eat raw chicken legs, thighs, necks, and organs, as well as occasional pork chops, turkey wings, frozen feeder mice, etc. they go BALLISTIC when i bring home a rabbit from the farmer's market. i cut it up into three large hunks (for three meals), and not a scrap of it gets left uneaten. they're phenomenally happy and healthy too.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PatrickCampbell

Raw chicken bones, chicken necks and wings are the best diet for cats and there is no harm if they take raw bones in their diet. Cats usually prefer slightly softer and smaller bones. But, cats should not be given cooked chicken bones.
Just throwing in a slight clarification: "Raw chicken bones, chicken necks and wings are PART of the best diet for cats (~10% to be precise)." A balanced raw diet includes 80% meats and some liver and organs as well as the bone.

AC

romsoccer126

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been feeding my cat raw chicken and rabbit with bones.  My one cat will literally chew apart the bones and eat them. Is this normal? I gave her rabbit ribs and she ate the whole thing including the bones.  She can tear apart some raw chicken legs also. Almost eats the whole thing including the bone.

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat eat whole lamb ribs and pork ribs. Gone! Some cats learn faster than other, and some cats don´t like the work involved with tougher bones. My cat turned out to love the work involved! Ant it makes her feel full after a meal since she had to work for the food.

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gang all get raw meaty bones twice a week. The rest of the time they eat raw ground up, for convenience, as it's easier to make sure they eat balanced.

None of mine have ever had issues with bones. To my cats I only give chicken and turkey bones. Necks, wings, drumsticks (chicken).

Here's my siamese demonstrating his chicken wing eating skills: 

Hope this helps.

roger biduk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course, it's the best diet and what they've been eating for tens of millions of years... don't forget to add some organ meats.

Roger Biduk

purrcutie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course.

You should give some meat with bones on it since it's natural for a cat to chew and break bones. It also helps her dental health.