Raw And Cooked Packet Diet

raz16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is just over a year old. I have tried him on commercially available raw food in the past which he loves but if fed too much led to him throwing up (on the sofa! Every time!).

He's currently on regular grain free packet food (not raw). My question is would it be ok for him to be fed a mix i.e. 2 non consecutive days of raw to 5 days of his current food? Might this cause issues with digestion if he's used to non raw food, and then a mix messing things up?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat is just over a year old. I have tried him on commercially available raw food in the past which he loves but if fed too much led to him throwing up (on the sofa! Every time!).

He's currently on regular grain free packet food (not raw). My question is would it be ok for him to be fed a mix i.e. 2 non consecutive days of raw to 5 days of his current food? Might this cause issues with digestion if he's used to non raw food, and then a mix messing things up?
You'll have to try it and see.

Possibly, there is an ingredient in the raw mix (maybe a protein or a supplement) to which he's intolerant. It's also possible that he likes the raw so much that he ate too fast and regurgitated the food. A raw diet is the most highly digestible diet there is, so there is some reason that he is throwing up. It's just next to impossible to tell you what that reason is. Eating too fast or an intolerance to an ingredient are the top two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raz16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah interesting that you mention an additive. The vomiting started when I switched to a cheaper source of raw food (although I gave the cheaper brand more often too).

I've just bought £80's worth of the original food so as you say I'll have to try it and see! I guess if he doesn't react well I can always have it in sandwiches....

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using a raw food that has supplements added, or no supplements? I'd be curious to know the ingredients and balance of meat/bone (or calcium source)/organs.

raz16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The one that made him sick was just meat, bones and organs - nothing added. The more expensive one has added vitamins A, D and E plus minerals and taurine, it also looked really good, better than human grade minced meat! The cheaper had a more pet food look. I can give you the names if it's not against forum rules?

raz16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To add, with the second one it's 90% whole animal plus 10% extra organs usually.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that made him sick was just meat, bones and organs - nothing added. The more expensive one has added vitamins A, D and E plus minerals and taurine, it also looked really good, better than human grade minced meat! The cheaper had a more pet food look. I can give you the names if it's not against forum rules?
Yes, you can post the brands.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you can pretty much rule out intolerance to a supplement, since the one that he didn't do well with was unsupplemented.

raz16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cheaper one was called Alaska, the other was from Purrform