Rats!!!!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I have a question for you rat people!! My neighbor has 5 rats and they are cool and everything but they ALWAYS pee on me if they walk across my bare skin. Is there any way to stop them from doing this? I like to hold them but I hate having them pee on me lol.

sithwitch13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

Ok I have a question for you rat people!! My neighbor has 5 rats and they are cool and everything but they ALWAYS pee on me if they walk across my bare skin. Is there any way to stop them from doing this? I like to hold them but I hate having them pee on me lol.
From what I understand, they're scent-marking you. I prefer when my boys do that on my arms or hands because it's easier to wash than clothes. Of course, having a special "rat shirt" that I wear when I let them crawl on me helps, too.

Also, thye have a litter box close by whenever I let them out. They're not consistant about using it, but it helps.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

they are marking you as theirs. i had 13 rats a few years back and if they liked you they would do that. i have 2 males now and they ALWAYS do that hehe.

yup yup i am a rat owner tooo..

these are my babies, they turned a year on may 24th(ironically my rats and husband have the same birthday rofl, sad?)

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They are marking you. LOL I havnt been able to break any of the ones that do that of it. Some mark some dont.My currents none ofthem mark thank goodness. But in the past I've had my fair share of markers.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I figured thats what they were doing but I was hoping there was a way of getting them not to lol. I guess Fearless likes me then

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I miss my rats... They both passed away over the summer
One, Cara, had pneumonia for almost a year, and the other, Kei, we think had a heart attack (she had an enlarged heart). After Kei died I think Cara just gave up, because they were so attached to each other... I just had bad luck with my poor ratties I guess, because Kei had surgery for a mammary tumor and then started to develop another one, and Cara was sick for SO long despite many many types and delivery methods of antibiotics.

I plan to get two more females soon although I keep trying to contact this breeder and they aren't replying :/

Here are photos of my girls:

Cara

Kei

Cara and my Golden Retriever, Ginger

awsome pawsomes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is the most adorable pic with your dog and rat. I wouldnt trust my dogs with my rats.
I have 5 rats .
Sweet-pea, She is a hooded rat. My baby and introduction to owning rats. Never once bitten anyone. Loves my kids and terrorises the cats.
Then there is Lovely. She was given to me from the breeder of Sweet-Pea, She was getting rid of her rats(to snake breeders) and she thought that Lovely was too nice to be snake food. I was told that she was sterile and too small to have babies . well wasn't she wrong . 1 month later Lovely had 10 babies. The breeder was keeping her with the boys.
So out of her litter we kept the only white rat Roxy , and Muffin that looks like a wild rat.All girls.
And a few days ago i was given a male rat from a friend, cos he was too big for her daughter. His name is Jerry .
Rats are fantastic pets.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the best thing about my rats is that they NEVER bit...not once did either rat ever nip or bite anyone. They were really sweet too, they loved to ride on people's shoulders (and hide in their hair, heh) and were just SO friendly!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Yeah the best thing about my rats is that they NEVER bit...not once did either rat ever nip or bite anyone. They were really sweet too, they loved to ride on people's shoulders (and hide in their hair, heh) and were just SO friendly!
That is just how my 2 girls are.

Cute pics BTW