Rascal has lost his fight with megacolon

mainecoonmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm here to give an update on my cat Rascal........an almost 14 year old Maine Coon..........the very best cat EVER.  He ruled my world!  He had megacolon..........at age 3 he had to have feces manually removed.  A pocket formed in his colon and he took Lactulose (2ml) twice a day for 10 years after the age 3 procedure and never had another episode until about a year ago.  At that time, he had had only high quality (mostly Wellness) grain free wet canned food.  NEVER dry.  A year ago he had 3 enemas.  It seemed to work until the past few months when he became constipated frequently.   The last vet recommended Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Feber Release DRY food.  I believe that was a huge mistake.  My cat rarely drank water but after enemas and.........Miralax, added sweet potato, peas........organic everything.........ml's of water all day.......slippery elm........I could go on and on with all the food I tried, all the natural products I bought.......everything I tried to make his quality of life better.  After each episode of constipation and then enemas,, he would leak watery feces for about a week........then he would get constipated and it started again.  I needed a vet who knows about nutrition.........to no avail in the area where I live.  The BEST advice that I received was from this site.  I am so thankful that I found this site...........i wish i had found it a year ago.  After a terrible weekend where my beloved Rascal was so sick and I spent the entire last week cleaning up the results of throwing up and leaking feces......I went back to the vet who recommended that she manually remove the blockage.  (Ten years the vet bill for that was $!500.00.)  Also, I have been told that a second "procedure" could stretch his colon more......which would mean constant leakage.  My beloved Rascal........peacefully and comfortably........is in Kitty Heaven.  I am heartbroken and my home feels empty.  I have another kitty........an 8 year old Persian........who was "mothered" by my Maine Coon.  My persian is walking all over searching for his buddy.  I am paying alot of attention to him..........staying home to keep him company.  

I thank each of you who responded to my cries for help in treating my Maine Coon.  Wonderful advice.  Your words of encouragement and support meant so much to me.

May each of your kitties be healthy and have long lives.  

Thank you.

MaineCoonMom

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Oh I am SO sorry to read this ... What a shock. I am sure it must have been very hard for you to make this decision *sigh*.

Fortunately you have your other kitty and together you can be each others rock in the coming days .... Just as a caution to keep an eye on your other kitty as far as eating and drinking, etc, given that he/she will be going through the mourning process with you. . Again, I am so so sorry.

RIP Rascal .. Sweet kitty.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@MaineCoonMom, I am so, so sorry for your loss.  
  This was such a difficult decision for you to make. You did everything you could for Rascal. He is no longer suffering from the megacolon. He's is now happy and free.  RIP sweet boy. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mainecoonmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, oneandahalfcats and Go Holistic.  I appreciate your replies.  And advice!  I am trying to exercise my remaining kitty.  He has been mostly sleeping.........ordinarily, he and my Rascal would be running around more.  

mainecoonmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Raintyger.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.  He is free of this now and I hope your other kitty will recover from this soon.  It will take awhile, he lost his kitty buddy.

mainecoonmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words, Denice.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My condolences. It's tough to let go, even when you know that things are otherwise going to continue to go downhill. RIP, Rascal. You'll be missed terribly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss, you hurt so bad because you loved so much. Bless you for going above and beyond on your care for Rascal, I'm sure he gave you much love in return. It takes a long time to progress through the grieving process, I'm glad you have your other boy to help comfort you, you both are grieving the loss of such a special boy. Please know I'll keep all of you in my prayers. RIP beautiful Rascal!

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this is old but I am so sorry to hear this. My Maine Coon, age 11, has,sufferred with thus for years. Like you, I am trying everything.

Can I ask...how did your baby die? I am truly sorry for your loss. I am hoping to find some answers for my boy and Ive noticed Maine Coons seem prone to this.