Rare Male 'Torbie' Kitten Found at Atlanta Shelter

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive been wanting a male with calico colouring or a pure orange tabby female for a long time, Id adopt him in a second. Im very fond of having noticeable (but not deleterious) genetic mutations/anomalies in cats, so he would fit right in with me - extra X chromosome and all <3

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While male calicos are rare, red (orange) tabby females are NOT rare at all - all it takes is for mom and dad to have red (mom be a tortie or red herself; and dad being a red or cream).

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Ive been wanting a male with calico colouring or a pure orange tabby female for a long time, Id adopt him in a second. Im very fond of having noticeable (but not deleterious) genetic mutations/anomalies in cats, so he would fit right in with me - extra X chromosome and all <3
A friend of mine rescued a longhaired red tabby a few years ago who turned out to be pregnant... All the kittens were red or cream.
Actually here are photos:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...trose/Kittens/

I just read that the XXY cause for male calicos is really less likely, and the non-sterile form (chimerism) is actually a lot more likely. The XXY males tend to have odd body proportions so they can be spotted.