"Rare Male Calico-$500" Your thoughts on this?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only possible value a male calico would have beyond being a pet of course that I can think of would be for a breeder to use to get females to come out of heat without actually being bred.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

Well, with male calicos you don't have to neuter them because they are infertile....add that to the fact unneutered males usually grow bigger.......

It might be a good choice for someone who wants a really big calico cat, I guess.
Oh, yes you do, because they still have tomcat behavior (roaming, spraying, hunting for females, fighting with other intact males). My sister has a male calico (dilute), and believe me, he had to be castrated. The hormones were definitely there.
Also, unneutered males aren't necessarily bigger, though they may appear so because of the chubby cheeks and cobby body. Studies here have shown that males neutered in kittenhood (usually at 6 months here) generally have longer bodies and limbs; supposedly that was true of castrati, also (I sometimes wonder how people come up with topics for their doctoral theses, as it was a German thesis I read, with references to Swiss, Austrian, and Italian studies. How do they "know" how long-boned opera-singing castrati were a few centuries ago?).

I really wonder just how "rare" male calicos are, as I know three (my sister's, an acquaintance's, and a neighbor's). Believe it or not, red female tabbies are really rare in Germany, but quite common in Malta.