**RANT** Another shower to attend

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jeanor

ARGH! That is so inconsiderate and thoughtless. You had every right to be mad.

on your other note, I think a lot of people are waiting until after the baby is born. That way people can buy specifically for boy or girl etc.

I do think with both wedding and baby showers... they are beyond the point of years ago people "needed" showers because they didn't have anything. Like someone mentioned when people got married, they were moving out of their parents houses etc. I think baby showers are good for first time moms.

Not to even mention gift registries (sp). I can't believe some of the things people put on there. One of my nieces registered at Target and she had 11 pages.
I guess times have changed or I just didn't know about it till now, but having the shower after the baby does make sense especially since even if you're not supersticious(sp?), you at least know for sure sex, size, etc.
I think baby showers are still a necessity - nobody is prepared for a baby - clothes, furniture, etc. but alot of people are right about the wedding shower - it's not needed anymore. The vast majority of people getting married these days are typically older and have lived on their own and their biggest problem is deciding what to get "rid" of when they get married - not what they need. I think it's all about greed these days unfortunately - I know people who have a bridal shower, bachelor party, and jack & jill.
Although in the same breath - (just to play devils advocate) it may not be all greed - things are very expensive these days.
Think of it this way - years ago you'd pay about $15,000 for a new home and you would also most likely be making around $15,000 salary. i.e. new home=one year salary.
These days a new home (at least here) is about $300-$500K - are there many people making that for salary? ummmm - not me.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got married 8 months ago and I had a shower.... mine was more for the company than gifts for sure. As a young couple, the gifts we did get, were helpful, even thought my husband and I had been living together for some time.
My son's baby shower was really nice, but there was this lady who came, who was not invited, didn't bring a gift, said she would give one later and never did. Same thing happened at the wedding with one of my husbands uncles. He said he would get us a gift later, because he forgot it in his home town and same with my aunty. Its not that I am expecting a gift and I said that, I just find it tacky to say your going to give something and then never do. I never had stagette, that is something I wish I had had.

staciej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cousins had an engagement party (gifts expected), bridal shower (gifts!), bacholette party (more gifts!) and a wedding (gifts again!). Her excuse was that since so many people wanted to throw her a party why not?

Of course it turns out that her mom told relatives to throw her the parties aside from the bacholette party (a braidsmaid did that one).

Actually the thing I hate is when people put registry information inside the inviation! No, no and no! You let your close friends/realtives relay information to party-goers when the party goers call them up!

If it was up to me, I would say to forgo all parties thrown for me since I hate parties and my family & friends now this.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We got married without any fanfare at all, but if I had it to do over again, I would love to have an overnight "bridal shower" with girlfriends where we do our nails, hair, etc. Sort of a "girls' night in," which is so rare after you get married.

But no presents; I think it's really tacky to request multiple presents for the same occasion, and really, that's what a shower usually is—a request for presents.

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

I would love to have an overnight "bridal shower" with girlfriends where we do our nails, hair, etc. Sort of a "girls' night in,"
When my best friend got married, she and her husband (BF at the time) were already living together - so in order for them not to see each other on the day of the wedding... she spent the night at my house. We did all of those fun girly things, plus went through all of our stuff from our high school days - we had a blast!

I personally won't go to another bachelorette party. My niece had one once and when the stripper got there, not to sound like a total prude, but I was SO uncomfortable, I had to leave the room (I wasn't the only one). Just not my cup of tea.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I personally won't go to another bachelorette party. My niece had one once and when the stripper got there, not to sound like a total prude, but I was SO uncomfortable, I had to leave the room (I wasn't the only one). Just not my cup of tea.
Funny story about that...When a good friend of mine from high school got married, we had a shower/bachelorette party at her parent's house. (More like a sleepover, girl's night in.) Her little sister, the little minx, wanted to surprise (read: embarass the heck out of her sister) with a male stripper. Of course, we were expecting Chippendales
but what arrived was a guy that the little sister knew from high school!
And let's just say he was more than a little on the scrawny side, especially for a bunch of early 20-somethings.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The thing that really burns me is when you get invited to all the showers but no wedding invitation ever shows up!
Oh thats so wrong! Everyone you invite to the shower should be invited to the wedding, thats reallly messed up...

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree - if it's family - that is very very uncomfortable! But, I can kinda see going to one if it was for a friend of mine and it was just us women -

Sitting next to mom watching some guy take it all off just sounds kinda sick

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention our other married couple, who I really love, they are great people. THeir wedding was this big blowout (which I skipped) But they had an engagement party with gifts, a wedding shower with gifts, bridal shower with gifts....
I have decided that for weddings, if you received somehting from me for your shower you won't be getting a gift from me at the wedding. PLain and simple. I am not made of money!!!