random vicious attacks

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am at my wits end with this stupid cat. I usually dont get this pissed, but this is getting ridiculous. Google has always been a bit mean at times. He can get over stimulated and the claws come out. But recently it has gotten much much worse. I will be sitting on the couch on my laptop and he will just run up and grab my leg. If I go to get in bed (our bed is kind of high) he will attack once I am off the floor. Just now I was sitting here and he just attacked my hand. And this is the result:
He got my other arm as well when I was trying to get him off. Just not as badly.
These arent playful attacks, he digs in as hard as he can and will hold on. I've had to start sitting with a pillow over me to keep the claws out! We have tried soft paws twice but he gets them off in under a week. The only thing that I have found that will stop him is to spray him in the chest with a squirt bottle.
I am embarrassed to go out because I have claw marks all over my hands. It wasnt so bad before when I worked at the kennel and could claim it was that, but now I sit behind a desk. And we have guests over fairly often now, and I am terrified he will do this to one of them. The Beau has made it clear this needs to stop. Is there anything we can do? We try to keep his claws trimmed down. He has multiple scratching surfaces and toys at all times.
I just dont understand why he is like this. When he was a kitten he loved to cuddle up to us, and was a lover. He started chasing us and the other cats when he was about 8 months old. But it was mostly just playing. It caused Kahlua so much stress I had to rehome her. But she is much happier now and I am honestly very happy I did it. I worry he will hurt Joey because Joey doesnt have claws. We have spray bottles all over the house but only spray his back or stomach, never get his head. What can we do?
Sorry if this is kind of scatterbrained I'm just really annoyed and clueless.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about Joey not being able to defend himself, if he needs to he can. I assume he still has back claws and teeth? These are what come out in a real fight.

What all did you try previously when the problem was with Kahlua? The standard feliway and rescue remedy?

Depending on what you've already done so far you may be left with just discussing this with a vet.

I can't remember. Do you have your own place with any backyard? If so, making an enclosure or cat proofing a fence and letting him spend a lot of a time outside may help. Depending on if there are strays around...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have our own place, but a cat closure isnt really an option, we have a few strays and outside kitties from the neighbors running around. I do want to try to leash train him though.
We tried calming drops but that didnt really help all that much. I will try Feliway though. I didnt know if that would really help with this. Part of the reason Kahlua was rehomed was also a very close friend was going through a really rough lonely patch and needed someone there, and Kahlua is the most loving and adorable cat ever, so it worked out PERFECT and both are amazingly happy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that it worked out perfectly for those two.

My thought is simply that some cats need that destress time that being outside can provide. While I have house cats, too, I'll admit it's no where near natural for them to be so. Some are fine with it and some get bored and frustrated. It's just an idea, though.

With the feliway diffusers make sure you have enough for the whole house.

And again, check in with your vet. Maybe they can discuss some options or point you towards a local behaviorist that can provide in house help. Because while over stimulated or redirected aggression can be understood, there's something that maybe you're not catching in this situation - and honestly I'm not sure what it could be either unless Joey or another member of the household is provoking him somehow.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think Joey could provoke a fly! LOL! I think its a lot of just Google getting way too stimulated some how. He is fine most of the time, but he just goes a little crazy at times! I am actually looking for a vet currently. We just moved up here so we are having to try to find a new vet. But yeah I will be taking both for a check up soon and will speak to the vet! Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. Make sure to read the sticky on aggression in this section, maybe it will jog you memory and you'll remember what a possible trigger could be.

I've had a cat, that while not being aggressive, just couldn't resist flow-y type skirts. It's like the kitten side of the brain never settled down. Any woman wearing one would find a 13lb cat flying at their legs! If we weren't quick enough it would result in scratches, sometimes deep.
Nothing else would cause that and at first we weren't sure what did. lol

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,
Our boy kitten (8 months) was prone to biting. It has taken quite a while but now he only bites infrequently and only if over stimulated. In fact he hadn't bitten for weeks until last Friday when he nipped one of our house guests who wasn't quite reading his 'signs'. Anyway, consistency was key for us to get him 'over' this.
If he bit we would shriek in pain (even if the nip didn't hurt) - really OTT. We would then put him straight on the floor (or walk away from him) and ignore him. He started associating biting us with being ignored, which he definately doesn't like. In really bad cases we put him in a time out for about 5 minutes.
It sounds like your guy might be quite a bit more severe than this though, feliway might help - have you tried some regular play sessions or cat nip to chill him out (sometimes cat nip has the opposite effect though)...

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymcG

Hey there,
Our boy kitten (8 months) was prone to biting. It has taken quite a while but now he only bites infrequently and only if over stimulated. In fact he hadn't bitten for weeks until last Friday when he nipped one of our house guests who wasn't quite reading his 'signs'. Anyway, consistency was key for us to get him 'over' this.
If he bit we would shriek in pain (even if the nip didn't hurt) - really OTT. We would then put him straight on the floor (or walk away from him) and ignore him. He started associating biting us with being ignored, which he definately doesn't like. In really bad cases we put him in a time out for about 5 minutes.
It sounds like your guy might be quite a bit more severe than this though, feliway might help - have you tried some regular play sessions or cat nip to chill him out (sometimes cat nip has the opposite effect though)...
He tends to like being ignored unless guests are over so it should be interesting to try! But I am more than willing! The cat nip does both to him. He chills out for a few and then gets really really hyper!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
gosh that is a horrible scratch! didn't your cat google make a hissing sound or anything to give you a warning!

also cut the cats claws so if it tries to scratch again, it won't so much damage!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the time being - pick up Da Bird if you don't have it yet. Sometimes cats "attack" humans because they're overstimulated or bored - Da Bird rocks. It's what keeps my Ophelia Rose sane.....and she is a very unstable cat. She has done damage to other cats, dogs, & humans. Da Bird 15 minutes at least once a day keeps her from becoming extremely "unhinged".

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know all too well about how you feel of the scratches on your hands. I've had my fair share.

I just had to say that for some reason, in your siggy, Google reminds me of Vincent Price. It's the oddest thing. He really is gorgeous. (I think VP was very handsome anyway)

I really have nothing constructive except agreeing with others. Maybe he is in need of extra play time or outside time. I am thinking my Chickster is in the same boat with her increasing aggressive behavior lately. I have noticed if I play with her for a good stretch each day, she is too tired to do much else. She flung herself on the door jambs last night and on the back door to catch moths until she wore herself out.

Good luck with Google

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A loud, sharp "NO!" (and put him on the floor, if he looks like he will attack again just stand up and walk away from him) works for me, when my cat Poodle is chewing into my arm....

Hope it stops soon!

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I have a simular problem to the one being discussed here. Our littlest cat. Maggie will if she dosnt like something like for instance being picked up, will just start scratching until you put her down. She attacked me the other day and now she attacked my husband tonight. Now, my husband was rough play with her, and Im going to ask him to stop that. Does anyone else have any suggestions? She is playful otherwise and really loves attention.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much guys! He's been getting a little better. He doesnt hiss, his ears just go a little flat and he attacks!
We have a toy with feathers on the end of the stick that he loves, but we cannot have a da bird in the house. Joey will chew and eat the strings!

I am definitely going to work on the no and just playing with him more! We are also waiting on a feliway to get here! Its somewhere in the mail!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Faganfamily, I agree I would suggest a stop to the rough play, I made that mistake with Chickster I believe and now she thinks it's ok to play rough with my skin, and my Mom's, but my Mom won't have it. So it proves to be very confusing for kitty. I think maybe rough play is ok with an extended toy that has nothing to do with your skin or a glove or a foot or anything, then they think it's ok to gnaw on you because you are a toy!

Cats usually give warnings before they attack. Chickster may put her ears back before I lean down to pick her up, or give an annoyed meow (or a regular meow) and if either or any of those I put her down. She clapped me on both sides of the head with her claws one time because she did NOT want to be held. I ignored the signals, widening pupils, the high squeaky long "Mewwww", the tail twitching... then WHACK. It really hurt.

Just be aware of the signals and leave the cat be if she seems annoyed. I try to keep my hands away from Chickster during play, and use a long stick with felt on the end. Sometimes I will go to pet her and she will think we are playing, and I have to stop and walk away to make sure she knows it is not play time with Mommy's hands. I have not been scratched in awhile from her.

Like others said in this thread, a firm "NO" and putting them down and walking away really can work like a charm. Ignoring Chickster really worked.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Thanks so much guys! He's been getting a little better. He doesnt hiss, his ears just go a little flat and he attacks!
We have a toy with feathers on the end of the stick that he loves, but we cannot have a da bird in the house. Joey will chew and eat the strings!

I am definitely going to work on the no and just playing with him more! We are also waiting on a feliway to get here! Its somewhere in the mail!
good luck with your cat! a overstimulated cat is a naughty one lol hopefully the new toy should tire the cat out, i have the same problem, my cat eats everything he can see in his sight including strings!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the catnip banana seems to be helping a lot! Last night he did get my foot, but it was more of a playful attack I believe. And I did say a sharp no at him and he took off into the living room. This morning he was cuddled up to me on the bed, which is really odd! So hopefully we are getting somewhere!