Random poop outside of box? Very strange!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I find this strange.. and I hope some of you have the same experience.

Both of my cats are healthy, per recent vet checkup. Nothing amiss with them or the household.

They share one box that I clean twice a day. They've never had any issues with sharing. They respect each other when one is in the box. Even if I forget to clean or out overnight and don't get to clean for 2 days, I never find accidents when the box is full.

What I find odd.. is that I find is a tiny piece of poop somewhere in my home..no where near the box. It's a tiny piece, and the cats usually poop a lot more than that. By the time I find it, it's dried up. Yesterday was the 3rd time in about 6 months I've found this.. maybe about a month or so apart, so I know it's not health related or it'd happen a lot more if it was a health or behavioral related accident.

It's almost like they took the poop from the box and planted it somewhere else. I could've sworn I saw litter on yesterday's surprise, but I didn't inspect close enough to confirm it, i just wanted to get it out of my kitchen! I am actually wondering if the cats are playing with it? that's what I feel like is happening.

Anyone else ever come across random piece of poop somewhere in the house that just does not make sense? Help me give ideas why I am finding poop placed at random like this? Or is it actually a poopy-looking hairball that I am cleaning up??

piakay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That happens with one of my cats. I think sometimes she just doesn't realize she still has some to go and also may be very slightly constipated. Other than that she also has no major health issues, we recently took her to the vet since we were finding small random pieces every few days and she checked out fine.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have occasionally found poop quite a way from the box. Asha does very enthusiastic digging BEFORE pooping (though can't seem to cover up after herself :rolleyes: ). I think Shad's buried poop gets caught up and flung out! Could that account for it in your case?

My two share a single box happily too - if I have more boxes out they just get ignored.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the others are saying sounds right to me. Other than Angel occasionally still "hiney hang"n" despite the large under the bed storage box, as his litter box,

(seems to like to poop in the corners, so sometimes ends up too far over & on the floor. 
)   He has been constipated before, (poop usually full of hair!) and

had a small piece still attached (because of all the hair) & I found it, but usually, I see/ catch it, so I will quickly grab a paper towel before he gets too far, & gently pull it out/off while I put my other hand on his chest, so he doesn't get away.  Then I say "It's ok, mommy got it."  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I doubt the poo was kicked out as they were found in other rooms, not in the same room the box is in.

Very strange lol. maybe one of them did get a piece of poo stuck on their hinie. Monet has the habit of shooting out of the box after he takes a poo and dash around (he's terrible with covering when he gets like this!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asha often has cling-ons too..usually just before she wants a snuggle :nausea: Maybe that's the origin of your random deposits. At least they don't try to deposit them ON you :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, if I have experienced Monet's sac being expressed on me, having a piece of poop is nothing in comparison!