Random poop droplets

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten over a year ago. He was almost put down due to an upper respiratory infection. I took him home and he got better although one eye has always been prone to lots of eye boogers. It’s been an interesting time as I’ve only personally had him half of his life essentially. We had this kitten for six months before my husband was suddenly deployed for five months. I decided to move home during this time to be near family. Due to living in a home with cat allergies, my mother in law took him for the duration of the deployment until I was able to move back in with my husband. He was strictly and indoor cat, and soon became an outdoor cat with my mother in laws two cats. Fast forward to moving back and him being an indoor cat again. A week before moving my car started pulling out hair and I almost took him to the vet. He was clearly stressed and over grooming but within a few weeks he hasn’t done it. Living in an apartment and using his litter box full time has been a chore. I tried pellets. I tried pine pellets. Nothing masked the smell of fresh cat poop. And I noticed an occasional droplet of poop I personally just assumed he stepped in and tracked due to trying to cover his poop with pellets instead of litter. Due to the smell, I switched back to litter but made it into a top entry box with a tote and the box inside the tote. I’m still finding poop drops. Fresh. I don’t even think he knows it’s happening. I’m really tired of stepping in it. And I truly don’t want to find it in my bed one of these days. If I can get any suggestions before paying a lot to go to the vet, I’d appreciate it. As for food, he’s had the same bag this whole time. I switch it up. I leave dry food out all the time. And do a half a can of wet food at night. And the occasional treat. I am not great with always being on top of cleaning his litter box, but sometimes when I clean it, there’s so much poop from just two days that seems a little excessive for one cat. All of it looks relatively normal and healthy. I’m just at a loss here. I’d really really like suggestions. Thank you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he been checked for worms and dewormed recently. As an indoor/outdoor cat he would need routine dewormings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe it was too soon to do it again when I got him back, but I can definitely do it again now. I haven’t noticed any signs of worms but I guess you might not always! Will definitely get deworming medication ASAP! Thank you!!

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe it was too soon to do it again when I got him back, but I can definitely do it again now. I haven’t noticed any signs of worms but I guess you might not always! Will definitely get deworming medication ASAP! Thank you!!
Although I haven’t noticed any signs or symptoms of worms

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not great with always being on top of cleaning his litter box, but sometimes when I clean it, there’s so much poop from just two days that seems a little excessive for one cat.
I think worms are very possible indeed. That aside, is there just one litterbox? There should be at least two for one cat and needs to be cleaned minimum daily. Some cats don't want to use a litterbox if there is any dirt in it. One of the reasons why there should be more than one litterbox.

It's important because they may hold their pee/poop as long as they can if they don't like the litterbox and that might lead to constipation, diarrhea, or other digestive issues.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it solid poop drops or liquid? If it's liquid, it's probably anal gland secretions. You can have the vet check the anal glands for any issues and empty the glands if they are full.

Litter boxes need to be scooped daily. Can you set a reminder on your phone to scoop at a convenient time, say before bedtime or a boring part of the daily tv news? Or just put up sticky notes as reminders. Scooping the box doesn't take more than a few minutes.

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s solid poop. So I’m not sure if that’s the cause, but I should still make a vet appointment for a check up! And yes I definitely need to get on top of cleaning his box. I plan on setting up reminders! It’s in the kitchen now so it’ll be easier to remember!

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think worms are very possible indeed. That aside, is there just one litterbox? There should be at least two for one cat and needs to be cleaned minimum daily. Some cats don't want to use a litterbox if there is any dirt in it. One of the reasons why there should be more than one litterbox.

It's important because they may hold their pee/poop as long as they can if they don't like the litterbox and that might lead to constipation, diarrhea, or other digestive issues.

He has no symptoms of worms but I will definitely deworm him ASAP. I do hope that’s it And I do have one litter box as it’s all I thought was needed. Everyone I know who has cats has typically only had one, and never had problems with it. I do have two though. One I’m just not using. And Charlie has never had a problem using it. Even if it wasn’t very clean. So I’m not really sure that’s it either. And it’s confusing because it’s a poop droplets not even the size of a penny and it’s not too frequent that it happens. It’s not liquid. I’ve never noticed anything unusual about it other than the fact he just drops poop it seems

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male would once in a while drop a turd on the floor randomly too. We thought it was because he had a tendency to eat my hair off the floor and his poop would get wrapped around a piece of hair on the way out. We would call it his "pearl necklace" because it basically looked like pearls (poop) on a necklace. Since his poop was basically linked up, he would finish using the litter box not knowing that he had a turd still attached to hair hanging out of him. While walking around, it would drop off and viola... a turd would be on the floor.

Unfortunately, I have started noticing that one or both of our new kittens must be eating hair as well as I've found poop mixed with hair in the litter boxes. :ohwell:

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, he is over grooming. Not as bad as before but that sounds like that could be it exactly! And why it’s new! Thank you for your input! What do you plan on doing about the hair eating/ over grooming if you don’t mind me asking?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, he is over grooming. Not as bad as before but that sounds like that could be it exactly! And why it’s new! Thank you for your input! What do you plan on doing about the hair eating/ over grooming if you don’t mind me asking?
Well, it's not over grooming in my case. Old cat and new kittens are eating my hair. I guess from when I brush it and it falls on the floor. Nothing I can really do about it.

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
true. I just know they have types of food and other things for “hair balls”. I know they don’t have hair balls yet but I wasn’t sure if it would help with other hair issues as well

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
true. I just know they have types of food and other things for “hair balls”. I know they don’t have hair balls yet but I wasn’t sure if it would help with other hair issues as well
🤷‍♀️ Don't really know. The kittens never have but our male would puke furballs all the time.He was already on urinary health food for crystals so we couldn't experiment with hairball food.

jayraye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well thank you greatly for your input! I truly appreciate it and hope you find something that works too! It’s not the worst thing but it’s definitely not fun to step in poop 😂

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thank you greatly for your input! I truly appreciate it and hope you find something that works too! It’s not the worst thing but it’s definitely not fun to step in poop 😂
Luckily, I never stepped in any. He would drop it right in the open so it was easily spotted. Hopefully the new kittens either stop eating my hair or it never gets to the point it did with our now deceased male where he was walking around with poop hanging down. 😲

Last edited: