Random Kitten Accidents

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello so I have two kittens, a 12 week old male and a 13 week old female. We got the female first and she was with our 10 month old male cat who had been looking after her like a mama :) they used the same litter box together without any problems. When we got the male kitten a week later he used the same litter box without any problems for a week or so, however he’s lately been having random accidents and has peed in different parts of the house, both of the bathrooms and in my bed. He doesn’t seem to be having problems with getting into the litter box or anything and it is an adult size and pretty huge so I didn’t think sharing would be an issue for now. Although I would like for them to keep sharing the litter box ideally as we don’t really have another good place to permanently place another one. So I’m just wondering why he sometimes decides to not use the litter box and how we could prevent these accidents? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also want to add that the 10 month old male kitten no longer lives in the same home as the kittens so it is just the two younger kittens using the same litter box

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Kittily. What are the names of your kittens? (I can't understand this situation with no names.)

Can you try having two smaller boxes side by side? Not tiny, but small enough to fit both in the available space.

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kittily. What are the names of your kittens? (I can't understand this situation with no names.)

Can you try having two smaller boxes side by side? Not tiny, but small enough to fit both in the available space.
Hey! Sorry, the female kitten is called Tesla and the 12 week old male kitten is called Elon, the 10 month old kitten who no longer lives in the same home as them is called franklin. Elon is the one who has been having accidents, Tesla and franklin always used the litter box. And the three of them used the same one without any problems for a week or so. Then Elon has started to have some accidents. I hope that makes a bit more sense lol.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
This is ironic. Usually people get rid of the cat who peed outside the litterbox instead of one who was purrfect with it. What was the issue that prevented you for keeping Franklin?

Elon could have a medical problem. Where did Elon come from? Often cats come to shelters with hidden problems or pick up germs but are not symptomatic before the move to a new home.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When a cat starts peeing somewhere other than the litter box, the first recommendation is a vet check to ensure he doesn't have an UTI. Once he's cleared medically, other factors have to be looked at.

I'll post links to some TCS articles that have more info. But my first recommendation would be try getting another litter box, as sometimes cats a) don't like to use the litter box after another cat, or b) like to pee in one and poop in another.

Make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on all the areas he peed on, otherwise he will still be able to smell the urine scent, and might continue going in the same spots.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is ironic. Usually people get rid of the cat who peed outside the litterbox instead of one who was purrfect with it. What was the issue that prevented you for keeping Franklin?

Elon could have a medical problem. Where did Elon come from? Often cats come to shelters with hidden problems or pick up germs but are not symptomatic before the move to a new home.
Hey! Thank you for your reply :) Haha we weren’t getting rid of franklin XD my mum actually wanted to keep him so bad. We were just keeping him for my boyfriend for a while as he was in the process of moving and couldn’t have him straight away. Franklin was the one who got us into cats lol.

We just found him on a buy and sell website. He came from a farm which already had dozens of cats, all looked pretty feral. And Elon and his siblings were very scared of us and unapproachable so the farmer had to pick him out. We were worried that he would be very unsociable towards humans because we were almost certain that the kittens barely had any interaction with humans but after a couple of days he started to love human attention and seems to enjoy our company more than with other cats lol.

We had brought him to the the vets a couple of weeks ago to get his checkup and primary vaccinations. I was almost sure he had ear mites too as his ears smelled bad and were very dirty. He was dewormed and deflead and apparently the spot on treatment for fleas and worms works for ear mites too and then I cleaned his ears. Unfortunately I think he still has ear mites as they still smell bad and are dirty, but we are bringing him to the vets next Wednesday for his second injection so we’ll try to get that sorted and see if he has any other medical problems that stops him from using his litter box.

We will try adding another smaller litter box somewhere and see if that makes him stop.

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When a cat starts peeing somewhere other than the litter box, the first recommendation is a vet check to ensure he doesn't have an UTI. Once he's cleared medically, other factors have to be looked at.

I'll post links to some TCS articles that have more info. But my first recommendation would be try getting another litter box, as sometimes cats a) don't like to use the litter box after another cat, or b) like to pee in one and poop in another.

Make sure you use an enzyme cleaner on all the areas he peed on, otherwise he will still be able to smell the urine scent, and might continue going in the same spots.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens
Hello thank you for replying :).
As previously mentioned we’ll get that looked at on Wednesday, which unfortunately is the soonest time they could book us in, and we will also try adding another litter box for him and see if it works. And yes we’ll be getting an enzyme cleaning agent today since we don’t have any at the moment, I need a biological washing powder for my bed too lol.

He has been peeing mostly outside the litter box but peed and pooped on my bed (which is very unfortunate haha) so I’m not sure.

Thank you for the links, I will have a look at them now :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I assume you are referring to Revolution. It kills flea, mites, and heartworms.

You rescued Elon. His condition would become much worse if nobody took him to a loving home to live the rest of his life inside, away from many dangers.

Daisy had ear mites. The vet took some out of one ear and said they most if not all of them were dead, but put drops in her ears anyway just to make sure.

Kittily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I assume you are referring to Revolution. It kills flea, mites, and heartworms.

You rescued Elon. His condition would become much worse if nobody took him to a loving home to live the rest of his life inside, away from many dangers.

Daisy had ear mites. The vet took some out of one ear and said they most if not all of them were dead, but put drops in her ears anyway just to make sure.
No I think it was called something else, I’m from the UK so we probably have different name for same things lol.

Yeah that’s how I like to think of it, it was obvious that the owners didn’t care much about cats. Tesla was the same too basically. She was given away for free and the mother had rejected her after about 6 weeks. The lady was taking care of her newborn so she didn’t spend much time with the kittens and Tesla was so dirty and smelly when we got her. She also had a bad eye infection which has cleared up now. I like to think of these kittens as rescues lol and I wish I could adopt all those poor kitties.

Yeah I hope we get some drops or something for him as he’s been scratching away at his ears and it’s been bothering him