Random, but VERY serious aggression. PLEASE HELP!!

D

Deleted member 73596

Back to the original subject..
Peony doesn't hesitate to bite or claw when she doesn't like someone petting her. If i'm playing with her and she gets too violent, I make a hissing noise and it generally stops her.

ravenseye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had experience with a cat (my sisters) that is lap friendly one minute and drawing blood the next. It took me a while to learn that there was a very, very subtle change as the cat became over stimulated. I finally learned to accept that the cat wanted to sit in my lap and then only pet for a few minutes before stopping. Even then, I would get a bite and a scratch once in a while. Spaying helped as did time. I was about the only one that WANTED the cat to sit in my lap due to its behavior but, in my opinion, it's always worth the effort and time. Finally, I think that sometimes we forget that cats are stimulated differently depending on where we touch them and each cat can be different. Bullwinkle, my recently lost feral, loved being petted everywhere and when he sat on my lap and stretched out, he loved getting scratched right on his butt by the base of his tail. He could do that for hours. Sara, my other feral, is terribly afraid if I try to do that and she'll start to panic. Scratch her around the neck like most cats like, and she'll lay down and roll over. My sisters cat loves the neck but just tolerates her back and if you don't realize that she's just putting up with it, you miss the change from OK to NOT OK and you pay for it.

Sorry, long answer!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
First off:  wow, what a stunning cat!   She has very beautiful shaped eyes and face to go with her lovely blue fur.   I have only seen a couple of Nebelung at cat shows here but your cat has much thicker, fluffier fur than them  (the fur can look and feel a little flat although it is long).  In your photographs she also looks to have a slightly more cobby build - legs a little more shorter and muscular with larger paws than the Russian Blue crosses I have seen.  I love her.

I am sorry to read about the difficulties you have been having with her.   Your description comes across as a playful and high energy cat who also enjoys her cuddles.  You are doing rather well to get her to stay still with you for 10 to 15 minutes!  I'm lucky if I get Mouse to stay that long with me even if he jumps up for snuggles of his own choosing and he's now 4 years old.  At 1 year he was a non stop play machine and would only snuggle if he'd just woken up, had a couple of hours play or had been left on his own and was all anxious.  I know you say you do not think she is getting over stimulated but I still wonder about that.  Whether it is the build up of static and energy that you see with some cats, or a little 'hot-spot' she has that sets her off when it is touched, this is what your description reminds me of the most.  It can also be when a cat gets very relaxed but then senses a movement or catches a glimpse of something moving and they suddenly react with a defense / attack move.

The advice you have already had has been great and I don't have much to add, but a couple of things I know other people have tried are touching and stroking sometimes not using your hand - to see if there is any different response when you touch different parts of her body.  This can help identify 'hot-spots' with less risk of injury.  They can be areas which are more sensitive, where she has some pain, or simply feels vulnerable when they are touched.  The other is to think if there is any difference between whether she has come to snuggle of her own accord and choice of time and sits with you but with little or mo stroking, to when you have picked her up, or are stroking her actively.   Does she ever become aggressive after a very short session with you or is it only after a longer period?   Avoidance of the behaviour is always best and in the interests of still having lots of lovely snuggles and strokes I am thinking the aim is to find the length of time she is happy and relaxed with and if it is a touch, movement, or length of time that she then changes beahaviour with.

Lastly, is there any difference if you time your laying together and stroking her with after a long and fully exhausted play session?

What ever it is, I share everyone's view that watching for even the smallest of clues in her body posture, tone or expression, tiny tail movements or other is key to getting to know when she is about to attack.  Then you need to stop all movement, if you are touching her potentially slightly increase any solid, flat pressure rather than there being a light touch, and if you move away then do so very slowly and smoothly otherwise it can look like an aggressive move to her.

drawsonanything

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since your kitty keeps doing the same thing, he must like the results of his behavior.  Don't know if it's possible to change the results to something he doesn't like and teach him a different way of communicating that he's done with snuggle time.

If a cat is swishing its tail, my instinct is to put a little space between me and the irritated cat.  My advice on this is that if kitty is swishing his tail, you move him a little distance away from you, I'm thinking like arm's reach, nothing dramatic.  Maybe he'll learn that when he's irritable it feels good to have some space and will start just moving away all by himself--just a thought.

drawsonanything

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, ps, make sure to check out lists of human foods toxic to cats if she's into people food!  I've got one that's always going for something toxic and I have to watch him (he chewed on a zinc supplement pill this morning!  There goes life # 8....)