Random Bouts Of Diarrhea

vortex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
Thank you for reading, and I'd be grateful for any help you can offer. My roommate's poor kitty, Jax, has been having random bouts of diarrhea. He's 5 years old, on the chubby side (about 2lbs overweight), and is super sociable. This previous incident, he had defecated all over my bed as if the urge was so all consuming that he couldn't make to the litter box just 2 feet from the foot of my bed.
I urged my roommate to take Jax to the vet, and he did. They did a fecal test, and nothing was wrong/worrying according to the vet. I don't think he's had a follow up or scheduled anything, but I'm not satisfied with this answer. I have my own kitty who really likes hanging out with Jax in my room on my bed by the AC unit. I don't want Jax to diarrhea all over my bed again, and I know he really likes chilling with my kitty and chirping at birds out my window. He's a little sweetheart, and most importantly, I'm worried for Jax's health. Do any of you know why this is happening? According to my roommate, it happens randomly.

I have compiled a list of things that may be the cause:
1. We moved ~2months ago
2. My kitty and Jax became roommates 2 months ago (they really seem to enjoy each other's company)
3. My roommate over feeds Jax, which is why he is overweight (gives him 2-3 fancy feasts a day plus dry food. The vet told him to stop and talked diet with him, but I'm going to really have to work to keep my roomie from over feeding him.)
4. There was some old canned food left out for a little while, so it's possible he ate that
5. My roomie feeds Jax fancy feast that has cheddar cheese in it
6. My roomie has a gf in another state, so he is gone a lot. I see this does affect Jax :(
7. Maybe he ate a plant or something off the ground, but this is a repeat incident
That's all I've pulled together :/ Please, share your thoughts, opinions, and/or experiences.
Thank you!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm wondering if he has allergies of some sort, to begin with. Does the roommate feed the same variety of Fancy Feast every time, or give him several different ones? That might account for the seeming randomness of the bouts. Stress could also play a factor, here, as well.

Once one person posts a reply, it seems as if everyone finds a thread! I'm hoping that this happens here. I'm so glad that you found our site. Welcome to you, your kitty (what's his/her name?) and poor Jax!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I would agree that it might be related to the food he is getting. Do you think the roomie would be amenable to keeping a log of what he feeds when to see if he can find a common denominator? Could be chicken, tuna, turkey, or the cheese, or something else within the food.

He might try adding a good probiotic to his food, although I'm not sure that would really help if it's an allergy.

As to the dry food, it is consistently the same food, or does he switch it up? If he's changing it around, that could certainly cause digestive issues.

When he's out of town visiting the girlfriend, does he take the cat, or leave him with you? Do these episodes happen when he's gone? (Trying to figure out if stress related or not)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keeping a log would certainly be of great value in figuring out just what is causing this. I know it's a bit of a pain, but well worth the end result!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vortex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your responses! Here's a list that should answer some of your questions-
1. My roommate feeds Jax a few different fancy feasts, but recently bought like a 40 pack of just chicken from BJs, so he might have been only using that (I'll ask)
2. Jax definitely can't handle tuna of any sort, so I'll make sure my roommate hasnt started giving him that again
3. The episodes do not seem to occur in association with his owner disappearing (Jax stays with just me when my roommate is gone, which is fine, I love my lil' Jaxy. I do notice a change in Jax's general demeanor. He becomes more submissive, and it seems like he's really concerned I'll get angry with him. e.g., If my kitty is batting at Jax with his paw and I assert "Stop!" Jax backs away from me because he assumes he did something wrong :( I'm trying to make it clear when it's my kitty being bad. If he does do something slightly wrong, like sit on the air conditioner, and I tell him 'nope" and pick him up to move him, he seems so hurt and shamed by it. To me and my cat, it's not a big deal, just don't do it and if you do, I will move you.)
4. His dry food did change recently (about 4 months ago), but he's had these episodes before the food change. Idk if my roommate has changed up Jax's dry food in the past, but I'll ask.
5. I'll talk with my roommate about keeping a log. I'd be willing to takeover feeding Jax so I can keep the log. I actually have IBS myself, and I wonder if Jax has the same thing. I've kept a log in the past for myself, so I should be able to do this pretty easily.
6. And my Kitty's name is Vortex, like the little black tornado he was when I got him as a kitten ^_^

I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks for the help. Please, let me know if you have anymore ideas!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a number of cats here with sensitivity to chicken, one in particular with IBD. If it should turn out that he has that, and is diagnosed by a vet, I'll send her here to advise. He really should be checked for it, the sooner a cat with IBD is diagnosed, the better the long-term prognosis is. As with humans, it is a "forever" thing, but early detection can stave off or prevent it from becoming megacolon. For now, try a lamb-based protein. That seems to be soothing to the tummy in many cases.

Have you been over to New Cats on the Block yet to introduce yourself, Vortex (LOVE that name) and Jax? Pictures are always welcome! I feel terrible that I didn't welcome you to the site when you first posted! We're so glad that you found us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vortex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Thank you for the welcome! We took poor little Jax to the vet at a cat specialty clinic. She gave us this special food and did a fecal test. The Doctor didn't find anything. The only thing that came out of it was that Jax is about 2lbs overweight, so I'm gonna have to hash out with my roommate how he's going to get Jax eating right. I've already started the log. One thing I found was tuna fish fancy feast in my roommate's fancy feast stash for Jax. I happened upon it as I am taking care of Jax this weekend. Last time Jax had an episode, he was eating only tuna for quite a while. My roomie says he stopped giving Jax tuna fish, but maybe he started up again, and Jaxy's stomach can't take it.

Anyways, we decided if it happens again, we'll take him to a different vet again. Do you know how they go about diagnosing IBD?

Thank you!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The tuna could be too fatty for him. Take it out of the rotation and see if it doesn't help his problems. Also, you might see if incorporating a little pumpkin in his diet helps. It has helped my kitties in the past. Just a little bit of pure pumpkin puree in their food.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I left a link to your thread with a friend who's cat has IBD, asking her to pop in here when she gets a minute. If anyone here knows the ins and outs of a cat's digestive issues, and how they are diagnosed, she will!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi V vortex Welcome to our family.

My guy has IBD and a chicken allergy, along with other issues. My guy has the opposite problem: constipation..however, before his diagnosis of IBD, I noticed each time he ate chicken, he vomited; therefore the chicken allergy.

As far as diarrhea goes, a food log is really the only way to handle it. It could be the transit time between food and diarrhea is a day or 2, depending on his digestive system. You would have to look back a day or two to see what protein he had eaten.

Fancy Feast Classic, is a rather good food, surprisingly.. Not many fillers..just make sure it is the Classic variety.. Yes, I would stay away from the tuna or any fish for a while, to see what happens.

Fish is a common food allergy, as well as chicken.

Did anyone mention probiotics? You would have to ask the vet about that. I think S. Boulardi is good for diarrhea. If it turns out to be IBD, there is a great website from a former member here:
IBDkitties.com they also have a Facebook Group. It is private.

If it were my kitty, I would eliminate fish, compleltey; stick with Fancy Feast classics; and make a log of daily food and stool habits.. You can then see a trend. This way, you have evidence to present to a vet. And I would not overfeed the kitty. You do not want to starve Jinx, you cannot cut down on food drastically.. just gradually, over time... and see what happens...

Good Luck.. hope this helps... if you need any other ideas, just ask....

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ppl keep saying how Fancy feast classic is good food...Can you send me an amazon link of it?
Most fancy feast at my store is filled with fish, mystery meat or by products. Im missing something?

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just not so sure about fancy feast. I do have it in my rotation but he doesn't eat it much. I notice that when I feed him that (yes, it's pate) his coat gets a little rough and he gets alot of dandruff. When I feed the Instinct canned his coat is shiny, fluffy with way less dandruff.

I don't like that fancy feast has artificial flavors in it.

Oh, and when I feed him the fish flavors he ALWAYS does a puddle poo. Yuck!

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link. Still cant see how it is good. I do understand that for the price, you probably cant get better.

Vortex, you should ask your room mate if you can adopt his cat. You seems to love him so much and take great care of him:)

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, there's a thought. You seem to be doing all of the work in this, anyway.