Random aggression

marabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old tabby named Apollo, and I've had him a year this May. I adopted him from a shelter and wasn't sure about his life before the shelter.

When I had first gotten him, he was overtly snuggly. He loves attention, and will even meow until you pick him up or love on him. He likes lap time, and generally will sleep in bed with myself or the two people I live with, my mom and brother.

When I first got him he slept with me often, and after about a month he'd fall asleep on my out stretched arm. He'd then wake up randomly, hiss (with teeth showing, and even spitting), and scratch at my face. He got me a few times.

Thankfully I was able to break him of this habit, at least for a while. This past week it seems he has reverted back to it. He was sitting in my brother's lap about a week ago, while my brother was playing a game on the TV. My brother was not touching him, and had began talking to answer a question my mom, when my cat hissed at him and scratched his face (rather badly at that, thankfully not a trip to the hospital bad). I put Apollo in my room to calm down while we cleaned the wound and dressed it.

Just a bit ago, Apollo was laying on my outstretched arm like he usually does when he's sleeping in bed with me, and was sleeping so deeply he was snoring. All of the suddenly woke up, hissed, and tried to scratch my face. I was able to move him away from me, and put him lower on the bed. Instead of leaving in a huff, he's curled up by my legs.

I'm not understanding why he's reverting back to any of this. The only thing that's changed was moving-which happened two months ago now. He's such a lovable and sweet cat and generally not trouble at all.

He gets a lot of play time, between the three people that live here (including myself) and my brother's dog (they love to play with each other and cuddle!) He does go outside but it's always supervised (generally on a leash).

I'm honestly not too sure why he's been acting this way-and I'd love to find out, or get any general ideas.

elfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed no one had replied, so whilst not an expert from reading your post it seems like it only happens when he wakes up? It could just be an automatic fear reaction from being in a deep sleep and being jerked awake, or maybe he had a bad dream and took out the kitty aggression on the first thing he sees when he wakes up.

If the aggression starts to happen when he hasn't been asleep then this could be a whole host of other issues from redirected aggression (more common in cats that are indoor only but not limited to these) or could be an indicator of them not feeling so good. Keep a check on it and if you get more idea on what could be causing it would love to hear!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats definitely do have bad dreams/nightmares, and it's certainly possible that Apollo's either disoriented or still caught up with the dream on waking.

It sounds like you're giving him a wonderful life now, but there's no way of knowing exactly what happened to him before he came to you. If this continues to be an issue a vet check might be a good idea - its just possible there's something neurological going on.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marabelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats definitely do have bad dreams/nightmares, and it's certainly possible that Apollo's either disoriented or still caught up with the dream on waking.

It sounds like you're giving him a wonderful life now, but there's no way of knowing exactly what happened to him before he came to you. If this continues to be an issue a vet check might be a good idea - its just possible there's something neurological going on.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I'll definitely keep an eye on it. He hasn't done it for a few days, but I may get a bet visit anyways, just so I can make sure it's just a bad dream, or him waking up, and not some deeper, neurological issue. Thank you!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a safety point - be sure to keep his claws clipped to reduce the damage he can do to you ;) Softpaws claw covers would be a great idea too - you fit them over clipped claws and they stop the cat being able to break your skin, but don't interfere with the claws in any other way.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Nightmares sound like a real possibility.   I don't know how you stop a cat from having nightmares so hope you will let us know what the vet says.  Using claw covers is a really good idea.  

You mentioned you were able to break him of the habit before.   If it is your move that has triggered these nightmares, they might fade with time as he feels more secure.  I'm curious though - how were you able to break him of the habit before?