Random aggression

lycimnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I feel desperate so I came to this forum hoping someone will have an advice.

I have a 6 months old neutered Ragdoll boy. We took him home when he was 12 weeks old.

He can be the sweetest cat ever if he wants, headbutting us and purring every morning and evening. But then he has these moments when he randomly attacks and bites REALLY hard. For example just now I was sitting on the edge of the bed with my feet on the ground, he came in the room with his tail up, mneowing a bit and headbutted my hand. Then he lied down and grabbed my leg and sunk his teeth in really hard n wouldn't let go..

I've tried hissing, loud no, high pitch sounds dog do when they're in pain (the only thing that makes him stop for a second), loud NO, pressing his nose a bit and saying NO.. Taking a toy immidiately..

He has plenty of toys, no other pet in the apartment, he can go to every room, anywhere except for the kitchen counter.

It has happened that he randomly bit me in the face, my instinct was to back away which ended up with me smashing the back of my head in a shelf..

I'd be very grateful for any help.
Thank you in advance!

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You need a wand toy. He's obviously got an active cat with a high prey drive. He needs to hunt. He needs to pounce and jump and run. Exhaust your cat and let him attack something that is okay to bite. Toys sitting there aren't very intestine because cats are attracted to movement. Think of mice or insects. They're a rarely still.

Here's a little video of a cat behaviorist Jackson galaxy teaching you how to properly drain the hunting instinct out of your cat

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:

savingkali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that it's not coupled with hissing or growling shows it isn't aggression. he is simply a natural predator that is bored and dying to hunt a moving target. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lycimnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need a wand toy. He's obviously got an active cat with a high prey drive. He needs to hunt. He needs to pounce and jump and run. Exhaust your cat and let him attack something that is okay to bite. Toys sitting there aren't very intestine because cats are attracted to movement. Think of mice or insects. They're a rarely still.

Here's a little video of a cat behaviorist Jackson galaxy teaching you how to properly drain the hunting instinct out of your cat
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
We have 4 feather sticks and we play with him multiple times a day to a point that he is so tired he has to go lie down and sleep. But I will try do it even more often then. Thank you for your insight:) I hope more people will come with some tips. And yes, he never hisses but if I push him away and say "NO" he gets into total attack mode:(

Last edited by a moderator:

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 4 feather sticks and we play with him multiple times a day to a point that he is so tired he has to go lie down and sleep. But I will try do it even more often then. Thank you for your insight:) I hope more people will come with some tips. And yes, he never hisses but if I push him away and say "NO" he gets into total attack mode:(
Then put him in time-out until he calms down again. Teach him that being too aggressive means he gets no attention at all.