Rambunctious Kitten vs Introvert Cat

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had my kitten Shambles since December and my cat Cleo for 4 years or so now. Shambles has been more and more rambunctious with Cleo. He will attack her randomly. He never hurts her and she will fight back but again they never hurt each other. Most of the time after the attack he will lay down on his back in front of her to show surrender. Is there a way I can get Shambles to leave Cleo alone or is he just being a kitten? I have multiple catnip toys and cat grasses to keep him busy but it still seems like he needs to burn more energy by bugging Cleo.

fluffyncupcake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he's just being a kitten to me.  Our two female kittens are rambunctious but one is more so than the other. Cupcake will attack Fluffy all the time and make Fluffy scream out in pain when she bites too hard.  I think its just that certain kittens are more playful/hyper than others. Every cat has their own personality and some like to play rougher than others.  Also, sometimes catnip toys don't work.... Do you have a laser pointer? Those are always good ways to burn extra energy that a cat has built up.  We used to have a male cat (he's at my mother in laws now) that got into everything.  The only way to make him more calm was to wear him out making him chase the laser pointer... by the time he was done playing he was panting.  I hope this helps! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I'm relieved that you think it's just him being a kitten!

I did use a laser pointer before but I found that once I turned it off he would start searching for it going room to room and howling for it! Perhaps tho when he is feeling a bit fiesty I should bring it out again.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The favorite of a lot of cats is Da Bird. It is basically a few feathers on a string attached to a wand. S&S will chase it, jump way in the air after it and do flips trying to catch it. Of course, you need to let them catch it once in a while. Even Meezykins will go crazy for it. Has Shambles been neutered? That usually calms them down some. But, I agree he is mainly just being a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome thanks for the toy tip! Yes both cats were adopted from SCARS so they have been fixed :)