Raising two new kittens

au1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, all. New to this site, but it looks like a great resource.

I recently surprised myself and offered to adopt two stray kittens from a litter that a friend was placing. I've had cats before, but never two of them, and it has been 15 years since I've had a kitten.

Anyway, I have the kittens (about six weeks old) in a bathroom and hallway, blocked off from the rest of my house. RIght now, they seem fine. They love their surroundings, etc.

I'd love to open the whole house up to them, but I keep reading about hazards, and I think I'm just frozen into thinking this house will never be completely cat safe. There are a lot of cords in every room (lamps, TVs, charging cords, etc.), and I'm wondering how worried I need to be about those.

Bottom line -- I'd like to let them roam, but I don't want to hurt them in the process. THey're rambunctious, which I love, but I also think they'll be rather fearless while exploring.

Am I overthinking this? Should I just let the cats be cats? Or are they too young for that?

Thanks for any advice!

lovemyzeus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got my kitten he was 11 weeks old and I was comfortable with him roaming the house from day one. I would wait a bit, 6 weeks is really small and quite young, maybe once they are 9 or 10 weeks at least - I would only do so when I had the time to watch what they do and where they go.....that's what I would do 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

au1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. 6 weeks does seem really young. I worry about them being cooped up, but they seem happy. The two rooms they're in give them room to run around and play with each other.