Raising an Inbred Kitten (Advice PLEASE!!)

bettedavis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Approximately four months ago my husband and I adopted a "possibly inbred" kitten from a work colleague of mine. The owner was unsure of the kittens' fathers and only a few weeks after bringing our little "Bowie" home, our suspicions were confirmed.

The first warning sign was that he was hurt very easily. I've had cats my entire life but our little guy was not very resilient. He limped around the house periodically after playing with our dog or other cat. He then developed a virus of some sort that made his legs wobbly, causing him to look "drunk" and fall over. He was hospitalized for a few days and the vet put him on three different antibiotics. The virus cleared up in about a week. A few weeks later, Bowie fell off of our bed and fractured his leg and possibly injured his spine. He was unable to walk for two weeks. It was then (after his x-rays) that we discovered he has low bone density, which explains why he is so easily hurt. During his healing time he became severely constipated. We were desperate to find him some relief. He had too many ememas to count, including several that my husband and I performed on him ourselves after receiving instructions from our vet. It was during this awful time that I found this blessed site and was able to relieve Bowie by taking the advice of all of you! Bowie's leg healed and he is now walking, running and playing! We are very careful with him, never allowing him to jump or fall from the furniture, supervising him when he plays with the other animals, etc.

However, NOW he has contracted a respiratory infection. He was on three antibiotics for a week but they didn't seem to do much good. The vet now has him on steroid shots (that we administer ourselves) amoxicillin and lysine gel. He seems to be improving.

I wonder if anyone has any advice to how I could improve his health and reduce our trips to the vet. In the four months that we've had this wonderful little guy we have spent well over a thousand dollars on his care and upkeep. We are not wealthy people and his health has really taken a toll on our emotional well being, as well as our bank account. If anyone has any advice, please HELP! He is currently eating only grain-free canned foods. Wellness Kitten formula seems to be his favorite, but he is also a fan of Precise Holistic, BFF and Evangers.

Clearly we are devoted to keeping him well and alive. I'm sure many of you feel that he should be put to sleep (I think that our vet feels this way) but we have invested so much love in him and are not ready to give up. I've considered finding him a new vet, because our current one has been wrong a few times, especially during his constipation, when he prescribed high fiber food and Lactulose, both of which seemed to make his case worse.

Thanks in advance to any replies!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you'll find a LOT of folks here are more than willing to fight for a kitty that, aside from a few health problems, is otherwise thriving and eating and has a will to live. That seems to be the case with your kitty. Is he using the litter box without a problem?

I don't have any experience with the issues your kitty is having, but it does sound like you are doing all the right things. You've been taking him to the vet as needed, and feeding him well. You may have to do a bit more "cat-proofing" than someone usually would need to do, and possibly have pillows in lots of places. Nothing wrong with that though!

I don't know what they can give to treat low bone density, but I'm guessing probably something similar to how they would treat such a thing in humans (not sure though). Has he been tested for FIV? I"m just asking since he seems prone to infection going by what you stated. Also, what virus was it that he had that caused the wobbly issues? My first thought was cerebral hypoplasia when you first described it, but that's based on the very little bit that I know about that disease. Plus I'm sure the vet would have mentioned it by now if he did have that.