Raising A Singleton To Be Gentle And Kind?

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
while raising a lone kitten, what are some tips and tricks to teach correct behaviors? How do I say “ow, dont bite, that hurts!” Etc And if my playful wittlewon is teething should I disregard those sharp chomps?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
A strong hiss, used repeatedly and consistently will be an effective tool to help your little one learn unacceptable behaviors, just like his mama would do :)

Try and keep your hands and fingers out of play, and have a soft toy available as an alternative to your fingers.

When teething time comes, try taking a washcloth (well rinsed if you use dryer sheets), dampen it and partially freeze it. If your baby likes it, the chewiness should help keep him from using other things and the cold should help ease his mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamakitty&me

Autumn
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! My little guy cries unless I rub his back, sides, and ultimately, belly.. he LOVES belly rubs and cries if I stop, but holds on to my hand and gnaws on my fingers .. is this play ? I want him to be able to be affectionate, but all touches turn to this

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if your little one might be teething already?
In any case, this is where you'll have to give a soft toy for his mouth while still rubbing his tummy.

Also, try the warm dry rice or beans in a sock that I saw you mention in a different thread, and you might also see if your baby will be a bit more at ease with a ticking clock or heartbeat toy.