Ragdoll with curly fur on belly

Miffy22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I have a one year old Ragdoll and he has been getting progressively curlier on his underside. I was wondering if this is typical of ragdolls and other longhaired breeds? I also want to make sure that we are maintaining his coat correctly and it hasn't become curly as a result of insufficient or incorrect brushing?

He doesn't particularly enjoy being brushed except with a tangle teezer which he does love (though still doesn't really like his curly areas being brushed).

I'd love to know if anyone has tips for maintaining this type of coat to make sure there are no mats and I'm not hurting him while brushing.

Thank you! Pictures attached and his name is Wolfgang :)

IMG_1137 copy.jpg
IMG_1447 copy.jpg
IMG_1449 copy.jpg

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have one little bit younger than yours. I don’t think I will be of any help just admiring your kitty. Mine is 10 months and I brush him maybe once a week The fur is silky and straight and luckily no mats whatsoever. I can see in the face of your kitty that you will do what you have to do , when how and IF he wants it. Lol. That is how we roll in our hut lol. Still didn’t crack his code how to get him to participate. Your boy is a cutie pie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miffy22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww thank you so much!! We try to brush him every second day for as long as he'll allow and focus on the curly areas (that curl back up soon after). We also try to feel around and get any mats early on so they won't cause him too much discomfort hopefully. I hope someone can offer some advice because I was concerned that perhaps it isn't curling but instead matting? Thank you so much for replying! :)

Tripmiche

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_8029.jpeg
I know your post was dated a year and a half ago. However, I had to reply, because my Ragdoll cat has a curly belly too!😊 Not the best photo… but you’ll get the idea.