Ragdoll vs Himalayan

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

There are Himmy/Persians without the peked face, Persi for example isn't peked faced.

I have only had experience with a Persian. He was a bi-colour black and white. He shed a LOT. I didn't have time to brush him daily, and he didn't like being brushed, so I brushed him every couple of days, and it was always a major ordeal. He just hated brushing.

I would pick a Ragdoll, however. My Persian died at a young age, and the Vet told me they're not as strong as other cats. I don't know if this was true or if it was a bias against Persians. He just told me, that if he were another breed, he might be able to save him, but because he was a Persian, he wasn't strong enough. However, I might consider a doll faced Persian. They might be a bit stronger, physically, I don't know. I love the look of a doll faced Persian.
Oh, I am sorry that happened to you, you must have been heart broken

I don't know if that is true of himi/persians or not, if they aren't a stronger breed, but it is true of ragdolls, they are a pretty hardy, sturdy breed. I am sure they all have their strenghts and weaknesses, it's all indiviual, but ragdolls are hardy and will hold it's own

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GlamourPuss

I'm sure no offense was meant by tiffanyjbt's post. Just a personal preference was being noted, we're not all the same, we have likes and dislikes! When comparing the physical differences between a persian/himmi and a ragdoll, the shape of the face is an obvious difference - some people are bound to prefer one to the other.
Personal preference is one thing. But saying something like I don't like their faces is another. I'm not all steaming about it. I just think people should think and have some consideration for others and choose their words a bit more carefully. If all was said was they are not my preference it may have been better. Obviously I wasn't the only one that cringed at the choice of words. And saying I'm not sorry I said it is just plain old not right. One can be sorry for their choice of words but still hold their preferecnes or beliefs. Enough said.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Personal preference is one thing. But saying something like I don't like their faces is another. I'm not all steaming about it. I just think people should think and have some consideration for others and choose their words a bit more carefully.
"I don't like ..." is 110% a personal preference statement...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

"I don't like ..." is 110% a personal preference statement...
Not exactly, and not everything that was said. I don't prefer is less offensive and a personal preference statement. This is ridiculous and just plain stubborn. I'm finished with the subject and ready to move on. I was just asking for consideration of others and as adults, better choice of words. Guess some just can't handle that.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People ... people ... can we all just take a deep breath? There is room here for everyone, no matter what their personal preferences. I think we all just need to remember that much like people, cats come in different sizes, shapes, colors, body styles ... it isn't what's outside that matters.

That being said now, let's discontinue to discuss personal preferences and assist the OP with making the decision that is right for HER/HIM and leave the personal preferences out of it. Facts and experienced observations only, please?

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To the original poster..

Persians/Himmie, or the Ragdoll are very different, I would suggest going to a cat show and seeing the cats up close. If you have breeders within driving distance, visit a breeder of both breeds, so you can see the personality and temperament of both the adults and kittens.
I chose a Ragdoll for their specific traits, I believe they are great with kids and other animals, but they do shed, but it is less than most other breeds, and the coat maintence is very minimal. Ragdolls can have various lengths of coats, which will vary in how much they shed and how much grooming is needed. Ragdolls should typically have a medium length coat, not the longer length. A Ragdoll should get much larger than the Persian breed.
As far as Persian traits, I am not one for giving advice, I am sure Scamperfarms or one of our other wonderful Persian breeders could give better advice. My personal opinion is to first think of how much time you want to devote to grooming, and then choose a kitten that would best fit with your family, whether it is a Persian or a Ragdoll, or even a mixed breed.
When you choose a breeder, that you feel comfortable, make sure that various tests have been ran on the breeding adults, make sure you get a health guarantee, and if you find a breeder who early alters, it saves you worry later. Tell the breeder what you are hoping for with your kitten, the type of personality, the breeder can match you and your family up with the best kitten for you.
I think any breed, that is well socialized, and fits the personality traits you are hoping for, will bring you much joy. I just suggest doing research and homework on any breed you are considering, and once you have made a definite decision on a specific breed, speak to others with that specific breed, such as you have done here, and you may want to ask for referrals from your breeder, to find out how their kittens have grown and what the personality of the adults are now.
Expect the breeder to ask many questions to you, some you may think are over personal, but the questions are not meant to offend or scare you off, they are just to make sure that you are the best person for their kitten.
I personally don't find much differences between male and female altered Ragdolls, however, I have heard many say they do prefer one gender to another.
Also, since it seems you do seem to like the pointed breeds, certain colors are more available, such as the seal and blue points, the rarer colors such as the reds, chocolates, and lilacs can be more difficult to find, and in Ragdolls, many are finding that the chocolate and lilac Ragdolls are just poor color Seal and Blues, after doing a DNA test, so that is something to think about.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

Do you have a himi? Does it shed less then the ragdoll? I don't think any one is saying they shed less then a shorthaired cat or don't shed. They are long haired, there will be some shedding, any one with long haired cats knows that. I think the point we are making is that they tend to shed less then a himi/persian, and mabey some other breeds of long haired cats,not that they don't shed or shed less then a siamese or some thing. I had a short haired cat that shed way more then any of my rags, but it was shorter hair and was less noticable then the long hairs every where. Mostly what is being said is they tend
to shed less then himis and matt less. All cats shed (except mabey a sphynx, since they have no hair) and that is expected. A himi should be brushed every day mabey a couple times every day, and raggies can get a way with less frequent brushing.

I don't think any one on this wonderful site means to offend any one, every one is pretty conciderate of others, so please don't take any ones personal prefrences personal
I love ragdolls, but would never care to have a solid raggie, I don't feel they are what we know for ragdolls, and prefer the pointed to the solids or minks for that matter, but just because I like them less doesn't mean I would ever try and convince ragdoll breeders not to own or breed solids. I just wouldn't want one, that's my prefrence. (I hope no one has a solid and takes offense, LOL! I don't think they are ugly or dislike them just wouldn't want one or breed them is alll) Same with other breeds, I'm just not going to mention them so those breed people don't think I am saying their babies are ugly
All cats and breeds are beautiful, thats why we love them they are cats no matter the coat lenth, texture, color, or the size of the cat, as long as we all continue to do what we do, and that is love and charish cats
Celestial Rags,

I happen to agree with you. If you are not a member of TICA, become one soon, as the solid and mink vote will be on the forefront for the next few years as they try to advance the Solids and Minks into championship status. I do not breed the minks and solids, I believe the same, that the Ragdoll should stay a blue-eyed pointed cat, and I will vote in TICA for it to stay that way. If you are against the advancement of the solids and minks, become a member of TICA, and the Ragdoll as your breed selection, so you can have your vote count.

Our own breeding, Angel, became a TICA "kitten" champion, she will be 8 months at the end of this month, so we look forward to taking her out in the adult division and see if the judges still like her. Our fingers are crossed.

We also have a litter of 7 week old blue mitteds, and I think we may be keeping one or two out of the litter, we produced 2 beautiful babies, 1 female and 1 male. So far the male we are calling Blue Baloo, and he is out of Blue Buy....LOL I really think the male will stay with us, but we shall see. At 7 weeks it is difficult to see if they will stay breeding quality, and get opinions from my mentor and other breeding friends.
I hope Icey and Dante' are both doing well.

Raggie love,
Stormi

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To the Original Poster, i have persians and exotics- and i also have a huge Golden Retriever. Persians and exotics are so so so laid back that i find they accept dogs very quickly.... My persians will actually play with the dogs tail, hang off his ears and generally cause havoc!

Persians are also extremely affectionate and love to be cuddled! I'm sure you'll be happy whatever choice you make