Ragdoll cat does not like to be loved on

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

destiny73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am first going to check out my local shelters, I did this before I got Micah but none of the cats and I seemed to click. This time again I will go look and ask how the kittens act in their foster homes (any kitten to rough will have him running for the hills). However a small part of my heart wants to get a British straight, it was the breed of the first cat I ever spent time with. She was the most easy going thing and belonged to my grandmother (Whom also had a munchkin, a maine coon, and two persians. The catlady gene is a genetic thing apparently). I'm feeling so excited for him and he doesn't even know he's going to be getting a sibling yet

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww... Micah is very handsome.  Is that one blue and one gold eye?  On the subject of getting them playmates.  We got Tati to be a playmate for Snowy who we rescued from the Shelter.  We took Tat's from a lady who got her to be a playmate for HER Ragdoll (and possibly for breeding as Tat's wasn't fixed when we got her) but it wasn't working out.  Things were rough between Snowy and Tat's the first couple weeks... but once Tati developed her confidence, she gets along with all 4 cats we have now.  She is the peacekeeper and mother hen.  Buttercup is a big bully but Tati even gets along, and enjoys playing with her. Bcups and Snowy are unable to get along and if she sees them heading towards the same room, she will be right there trying to keep the peace-or maybe she just wants a good seat to witness the drama first hand.  But if it does turn nasty, she won't stand up for anyone, she is out of there. 

destiny73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds quite a bit like my older sister when me and my younger brother got into a spat! Your cats all seem to have such spunk. Should I get a older kitty so they can hold their own if need be then? I don't want him to harm a 2 or 3 pound kitten if he plays to rough. Also, he has two blue eyes, it's just the angle of his head :)
He's so fluffy you can't see his collar.

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Ragdolls are known for being very pet-friendly and getting along with other cats, I doubt that Micah would bully a baby kitten, or any aged cat for that matter.  I think the concern is more that Miach could end up being bullied by an adult newcomer.  But then again, because ragdolls are so sweet & docile, hopefully any new adult cat would find Micah or Dudley amiable company and so would be less likely to get into fights.  I think it important to find a cat who has been neutered before 6 months old though, no matter what it's actual age.  I am looking for a cat under 4 years but would happily take another wee, baby kitten as I think Dudley is missing out on someone to play ball with.  

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going to try to get photos of my babies so I can share them on here... will probably be this weekend.  As far as what to get, it is very helpful for the kitties to pick each other so they get along right away, but it is important for you to get a kitty you like too because you will be the caretaker and it is a lifelong commitment. I think Ragdolls for the most part will get along with anything that gets along with it.  Both older and younger have merits... so what fits into YOUR life should hold a lot of weight.  Do you want the cuteness of a kitten or the calmness of a senior cat?  Ha, Buttercups is the oldest of our cats, and while Tati and Theo tear the house down chasing each and are far more playful in a social manner, Buttercup outpaces all of them on keeping herself amused and playing with bits of lint, or sunbeams, or twistyties for hours on end without ever getting bored.   

judi golden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ohhh those are some lovely flame ragdoll pics!  That is a pretty rare color.  I can't tell if it's a lynx or a point.  Is his tail red too?

I had two ragdolls, one who passed away from kidney disease at age 5, and one who passed away at age 17 last year and also died of kidney failure.  One was a flopper, but obviously didn't like it, and the other didn't flop at all and would struggle when you picked her up.  My in-laws have a ragdoll too, and that guy is way more docile than either of my two, so maybe it really depends on the cat.  I would say maybe Ragdolls are more docile than most average cats, but they aren't all super cuddly.  

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ohhh those are some lovely flame ragdoll pics!  That is a pretty rare color.  I can't tell if it's a lynx or a point.  Is his tail red too?

I had two ragdolls, one who passed away from kidney disease at age 5, and one who passed away at age 17 last year and also died of kidney failure.  One was a flopper, but obviously didn't like it, and the other didn't flop at all and would struggle when you picked her up.  My in-laws have a ragdoll too, and that guy is way more docile than either of my two, so maybe it really depends on the cat.  I would say maybe Ragdolls are more docile than most average cats, but they aren't all super cuddly.  
Yep... sometimes I think Ragdolls go limp because it is the easiest way to slip out of your grasp, like water, they just slip through your hands. :)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@Judi Golden  I think I must have lucked out with my Dudley then, as he doesn't go limp (but does let me scoop him up and reposition him somewhere more suitable), quite likes being carted about (though he weighs half a tonne so I don't hold him for long!), is so sweet & well-mannered (docile but not subservient by any stretch, he definitely does what he wants but what he wants is usually the same as what I want), and is super loving & cuddly, especially overnight in bed when he's my solid lump of red hot fluff  
 Sorry to hear of your losses 

I'm going to try to find a more boisterous cat as his companion.  I love Dudley dearly but I miss all the antics and constant interaction of my beloved Brian, who I always knew was around, even when he was asleep.  I feel that I have a lot of time and patience to offer to a potential furry handful.  As long as it doesn't bully Dudley, I reckon Dudley would be a positive, calming influence on someone bouncy 

destiny73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Judi Golden I was told he's a cream lynx. His tail is about as long as he is and is also the shade of his face (I think he has mittens though because his paws are white). I don't really understand why he's called cream but I'm by no means a expert on this so I roll with what I was told.

his mom was this shade, and he looks this color in direct sunlight. When I first saw him I thought he had gotten into something

(image found on google)