Ragdoll Biting

tiamaria2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Wonder if I could get some thoughts on why my cat is biting...

She is a 6 month old Ragdoll called Gracie , gorgeous in every way, affectionate, devoted, playful, mischievous and lots of fun to have around but she has a tendency to bite me.

To set the scene, she can be curled up close to me having a cuddle on the bed in the morning and will be purring away contentedly and lean forward to give me a bite on my arm or on my finger, or she can be having a 'lap' cuddle and while I put my arm in front of her to keep her from flopping off my lap she'll bite me. It's never to draw blood and she isn't being angry or nasty, she just gives me a bite and carries on purring.

I appreciate she is in her teenage period and maybe still teething a little but it's not a bite using the side of her mouth how a teething animal would try to get relief on their gums, she uses just her front teeth, almost like someone pinching you.

I am wondering if it's a back to front affectionate gesture or maybe a prod to me of 'don't stop the stroking' 

I do tell her 'No' and then removed her from my space when she does it, not sure if this is the best thing to do or not, can anybody  offer any advise?

Thanks in advance :)

anamoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

It seems that she is just giving you a love bite, being affectionate :)

If you don't like the bite, tell her no and don't stroke her, or else the "no" will be ignored and she will just feel rewarded for biting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiamaria2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for replying, so shall I continue to take her off my lap or the bed when she bites or just say No and stop stroking?

missy sue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a rag doll kitten also and a hymilain they are both under 6 mos and my rag doll is constantly licking and or biting it gets annoying at times

gangsta chanca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does the same, but goes further. He will usually be licking me, then suddenly start biting. I say no, and think he will stop, but he gets more agressive, and latches on my arm, biting and scratching. I believe doing it purposefully, but it does hurt.

anamoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tell her no and proceed to ignore her completely. Don't put her on the floor, as picking her up would also be considered "nice", so it would be confusing for her: "huh she said 'no' but now she is picking me up? 'no' means I did something right?"..

If she keeps biting you or anything unpleasant, blow on her face.

So to summarize it, if she bites:

1- Tell her no, stop stroking

If she keeps biting or bites stronger or anything unpleasant

2- Blow on her face

If blowing on her face is not working, leave the room and ignore her completely for a few minutes.

presouz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm on my fourth Ragdoll, this kitten started doing this about 6 months old. I got to the point that I had to hold her by the scruff of her neck gently so she could not bite or lash out with sharp kitty teeth and gently tap on her nose and say no ...no ...no until she calmed down. Do not Yell do not raise your voice just be firm. Also if you don't think you're gentle enough to hold the scruff back then don't do it you have to be gentle with kitties and animals in general. Granted the first few time she was not happy she was not getting her way. She definitely learned after a while. She treats my 24 yr daughter like she's a litter playmate she tried to do that with me and can't get away with it. She gets so much love from both of us I don't understand the biting either but again I think it's just her aggressive play that usually another kitten would actually tell them stop with a bite or a scream.

Never want to do anything to harm the baby at all, but holding them back from latching onto your arm or lashing out at you needs to be controlled. I've had at least a dozen kittens in my 59 yr old lifetime. In the 80s I rescued a beautiful gray kitten. She ended up being that way a bitter. I was too young to know back then that you could actually stop them from doing this she continued her whole life treating me like I was another cat by attacking my feet my arms my legs whatever she can get a hold of all the way until almost the day she passed away age 15. When she got in those moods I had to use a big pillow or a couch pillow to put the tween us to keep her from actually drawing blood. She was my baby grey I loved her dearly. I think I could've corrected her if I started when I got her younger. But again I was younger then too. Best of luck again don't ever hurt the baby by Spanking them or yelling at them just have to be firm with them and let them know that you're the boss of the house the pack leader so to speak. It can be done in a gentle way but you have to be consistent. Also you could buy a kick toy, or make one out of a tube socks stuffed with paper or more socks, tie the end. And when they get aggressive like that give them that to play today Gsh with it let them know that you are not to be played with that way but a toy Can be. I ve had kitties all my life and yes they are all different but they're all wonderful and I love kitties so much they are Gods best creation! [emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

shannonscats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha. I have an 8 month old Ragdoll named Casper. He bites our feet when he is hungry. Which is often. We have a spray bottle and we firmly tell him no. Nothing has worked yet. The little brute.

presouz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When they bite like that they're bored you need to keep them playing anytime they bite your feet give him a toy catnip toy amassed toy toy some kind of toy to do for them it will take time but it can work, also get a laser pointer couple of them keep them all around the house keep them busy and tired out if they're busy and they're tired out it won't have time to bite your feet best of luck