radio question of the day: 07/31/06

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a tornado when I was a kid that passed by our apartment building. It completely destroyed the field on the other side of the street, but, fortunately, only uprooted a small tree outside our building.

A few years ago we had a microburst hit at the building I was working in. The building was fine, but it blew out the rear windows of many of the cars in the parking lot.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot about ice storms or even freezing rain then it gets colder and everything is ice covered-isn't that fun to drive on!!

prncss89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes a few but Hurricane Katrina and Rita were the last ones! We had 4 feet of water in the house and no power of 7 weeks and we are still trying to fix our house. Hopefully by next week all will be finsihed.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little, we lived on Long Island. There was a really bad hurricane that hit the island, I can't remember the name of it. But it was really scary, we taped the windows, stocked up on water and supplies. And we lost power for 3-5 days... we were eating cans of food, and using flash lights... as a child it was pretty scary.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

When I was little, we lived on Long Island. There was a really bad hurricane that hit the island, I can't remember the name of it. But it was really scary, we taped the windows, stocked up on water and supplies. And we lost power for 3-5 days... we were eating cans of food, and using flash lights... as a child it was pretty scary.
Hurricane Gloria circa 1985? I went through that one too.

Then moved to Florida just a few weeks before Hurricane Frances made landfall on my roof... soon to be followed by Jeanne. Was out of power for around two weeks with Frances. Awful. Absolutely awful. That's heat you can't even describe... there's just no way to get out of it.

And during Jeanne, my dining room almost collapsed (was in the apartment at the time)... that was fun

Oh and then got to walk my dog in tropical storm force winds... would have been kind of nice if it wasn't for the rain

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Yup! That was the one! So I would've been about 7 years old! Very scary for me at that age!
I hear ya! I was 5 at the time. I remember hiding in my basement with all my dolls... if I was going to go down, I'd be darned if they weren't going to go with me!

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hurricanes Charlie, Frances, Jean, Wilma. Got one of my rescued dogs the night of hurricane charlie, and that's what we named him. Baaad idea, thinks he has to live up to his name.

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since I've moved to Florida, I have endured 3 hurricanes and before I moved down here from Washington State, I did feel a slight tremor in my parents' kitchen (suddenly felt like I was surfing). So I've experienced those, although I wasn't hurt or had my things damaged in any of those.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a flood here...actually I slept through it! (though the damage lasts for a long time afterwards). And just last week there was a huge windstorm here that knocked out power and a ton of trees (wind up to 100+km/hr). The city is still trying to catch up on removing the trees...it's so sad to see 200 year old trees lying broken on the ground.