Radio question of the day: 06/15/06

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Real emergency:

While I was deployed in 2004--Had an Airmen come in with a drug overdose....my ONLY patient the entire time I was there. Non-responsive, intubated (my job kicks in as an RT), Tubed him, adjusted the ventilator settings, ect...

He started to wake up...so we pulled the tube out (breathing tube for non medics), and he puked on my shoe...lovely.

Non emergency but still emergent, we were in the commissary and I heard of the intercom, 911 man down in Aisle 2....so I get out of the grocery line and run to aisle 2. Man down, conscious, he had fainted. Have him stay down, elevated his head...he starts to go unconscious on me again and looks like he might be in the process of vomitting, so I gently move his body to the recovery position to maintain his airway just in case.

He comes back to, the medics come on scene...I give them report....(I was just a bystander okay but the medical person in me will never die) and let them take over. All I know is they took him to the local hospital.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...wow.

Probably my own emergency when the doctor said "SHE'S GOTTA HAVE THIS BABY RIGHT NOW!!"

(at a regular appointment, was definatly not ready for that)

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My last emergency was when I went over to the renters to ask see if he had any trash to take out since he'd just moved in, he told me he wasn't feeling well and wasn't holding anything down, I asked him if he needed to go to the ER and he said he didn't have a way there. I took him and it turned out he hadn't taken his insulin for 2 months and was going into an insulin coma. He ended up in ICU during the night and I guess from what I heard, went into a diabetic coma because they couldn't regulate his insulin. They finally regulated him the next afternoon and he came out of it and checked himself out of the hospital because he "felt better". stupid, stupid man! But so far nothing bad has happened to him because he did that.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did tons of emergencies but being a Cardiopulmonary technician in the Air Force for 7 years--I worked Cardiology(a few emergencies there)for 4 years, and Respiratory therapy off and on, you'll be assured to see a few real medical emergencies here and there.....and some weird freaky stuff too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Wow....you all have been through some stuff!

I think my last emergency was when my niece *had to go potty really bad!*

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My latest emergency turned out to be a false alarm (thank God). The tuesday after the Memorial Day weekend the fire alarm went off in my building @ 4 am. I ran to get Maggie May & Jazz a Boo and of course they were under the bed (I don't fit under there) so I ran into the kitchen opened a can of food and screamed TREATS!!!!! at the top of my lungs!!! Didn't work. I had to drag Jazz out from under the bed with her screaming and hissing at me put her in the carrier and go back for MM. She ran out and I stuffed her into the carrier w/Jazz. By the time I got out of the door my neighbor came back and the super said it was a false alarm. Then I look at myself and realized I had just woken up I was in my pj's with no money/wallet or cell phone. I spent the next couple of nights unable to sleep because I thought the alarm would go off again!