radial aplasia in cats

illovewynter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done research on radial aplasia in cats because my cat has what I am talking about. I am also trying to write a speech on it and thought that I ask cat owners because you guy's may have more questions than I can think of
here is what i have so far
(Hello I have my own cat named Wynter. She has a condition called radial aplasia. Now what is radial aplasia? Radial aplasia is a condition where the radius is undeveloped caused the arm to twist inward towards the chest. Let’s learn more about the amazing cats with radial aplasia. First we will see the many names of radial aplasia in cats. Next let’s learn about more about what radial aplasia is and what causes it in cats. Finally we will see what accommodations there are.
There are many names from radial agenis

As I have said radial aplasia is an underdevelopment of the radial bone. A cause is not known but here are some theories. Here is one by Dr. Jess, she says that “the fairly rare mutation that is thought to be related to polydactylies in cats, where cats are observed having more than the normal amount of toes per paw.”(Dr. Jess, 5/27/2020). Another theory is hereditary as explained by Chelsea Kunst “A singular etiology is not known, however this is likely to be in part a hereditary condition and therefore breeding is discouraged.”(4/8/20).These are very popular theories but veterinarians are still trying to figure this out but they are pretty much thinking it is hereditary.)
thank you very much as this is also for my grade in high school

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Since this is an obscure condition, make sure you have visuals of some sort for the class/audience. Bring in pics of polydactyl cats as well for those who are not cat familiar.

Is the condition painful? Does it affect lifespan? What is the best way to care for a cat with this condition? Is it comorbid with other conditions, meaning if a cat has this might it have other conditions that would need treatment.
Can surgery be done? What accomodations does the cat need? How frequently does it occur? Is it more common in certain breeds?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All excellent questions fionasmom fionasmom ! illovewynter illovewynter , if you do as suggested above, I think you'll have covered most questions people will have.

Good luck on getting a good grade on this report. We'd all be interested in the reading the final report as we're always curious about anything cat related.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

illovewynter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your reply's mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens and fionasmom fionasmom . I would gladly show my final report as this will give more knowledge to the public about this rare condition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

illovewynter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And also from reading, I feel as if the names of radial aplasia aren't interesting and all the questions that fionasmom fionasmom asked I would've answered in one of my paragraphs so any other questions, and no it wouldn't affect lifespan that's why I didn't put in there