rad cat question - first time feeding a raw meal

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Answers pet food, raw for cats, is excellent, similar to Rad Cat, also free range meats but with fermented goat's milk and rich in digestive enzymes. They don't utilize HPP on their poultry products.
Thank you

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rotating products is always a good idea.

Rad Cat is the premium brand since they use grass-fed and free-range meats, if you're budget can stand it. Other pre-mixed and balanced products are good too.

A medium cost alternative is to buy whole carcass grinds from a company like Hare Today. Those grinds usually have too much bone, so you have to do a little work to add some extra boneless meat and a little extra liver.

You can also get a supplement pre-mix like Alnutrin or EZ-Complete, which you mix into grocery store boneless meat.

Homemade raw, using a recipe like the one at Feline-Nutrition.org is extremely affordable, but more work for you.
Thank you so much

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rotating products is always a good idea.

Rad Cat is the premium brand since they use grass-fed and free-range meats, if you're budget can stand it. Other pre-mixed and balanced products are good too.

A medium cost alternative is to buy whole carcass grinds from a company like Hare Today. Those grinds usually have too much bone, so you have to do a little work to add some extra boneless meat and a little extra liver.

You can also get a supplement pre-mix like Alnutrin or EZ-Complete, which you mix into grocery store boneless meat.

Homemade raw, using a recipe like the one at Feline-Nutrition.org is extremely affordable, but more work for you.
My local pet health food store
Thank you
My local pet health store is going to give me some samples of primal. I hope that one is ok.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might see if they will order some some small tubs of Radcat for you to sample too. That's what I had to do because no one locally sold it. They could only special order it for me and I wanted to sample it first before I had them special order it for me.

Oh, and Primal is good. I feed my guys freeze dried Primal (rehydrated). Used to feed them the frozen patties before I started doing my own.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might see if they will order some some small tubs of Radcat for you to sample too. That's what I had to do because no one locally sold it. They could only special order it for me and I wanted to sample it first before I had them special order it for me.

Oh, and Primal is good. I feed my guys freeze dried Primal (rehydrated). Used to feed them the frozen patties before I started doing my own.
sounds great! I think I'll try:0))

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just found out that my local pet store has rad cat and they are ordering me samples

sounds great! I think I'll try:0))

sandyshores

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't find a rad cat cat distributer in my area, but I'll keep lllooking
I will admit that the rad cat looks fresher and more natural to me verse the NV. My cats don't have manners when I'm getting their food ready. They jump up and down up and down in my face, so it doesn't give me much opportunity to really look at the food. When I give them a sardine I have to go into the bathroom to open the can and put it in their bowls. They're crazy. Maybe I should search the behavior section to fix this. lol In any case, I'm not a huge fan of the instinct anyway. The cats seem to really like it but I'm not positive I like it. They eat these pellets way too fast. With the primal they seem to take their time in a focused way. The rad cat they just scarf down like crazy starving cats. I need a scale or something before I thaw the rad cat out. I got a big tub of it and I'm really not comfortable eyeing portions up.

It looks like there is activity in the boxes this morning. I will confirm 2 urine balls hopefully in a little when I clean it and all will be right with our world over here.

I pull my hair out trying to understand the labels and the analysis info. I'm still at the start line of the learning process :-( I have a notebook that I've been writing things down in and also list calories per ounce of all the foods I've been given them.
I have 2 persians. I used to make my own but just never felt comfortable with it as there are so many recipes on what to put in it, so tried different raw from the stores. Rad Cat was the winner by far. And I personally think the smell of rad cat is more like what I would eat than the others - the others seemed to have a weird smell to them. I like how they took customer feedback and finally made a sealed top, you don't get ice and a lot of brown meat on the top like you did with the ones prior that didn't have that extra seal on them. They do have recalls and most voluntary so they check often. Their facebook site is good and most people that feed rad cat aren't concerned about the recalls, and Rad Cat says no cats have gotten sick. My pet store checks the recalls often and doesn't shelf the ones with recalls so I've never gotten one that had a recall. But what's interesting is that there are 2 pet stores that sell rad cat by me. One the exp date is always way off... in October 2019 now (it's the end of July 2018 today). The other store the exp date is a lot sooner. My good pet store was out of turkey and I went to the other one and the exp date was in 2018.... so I didn't get it. I just like to know I got it right from the distributor when it came out and I stored it.... rather than wondering about how it was stored for a year!! My big male doesn't like Rad Cat that well. He will eat some of the beef and some of the turkey but won't touch the chicken or lamb. Neither like the venison. My female gobbles up them all but prefers the chicken. I buy the 24oz tubs and put them in the frig overnight so they are still frozen but I can stick a serving fork in it and get out frozen chunks to put in 4 small glass pyrex containers. Then I put those in the freezer and take out a frozen one a day ahead of when I need it. I just don't like raw meat sitting in the frig for 2-3 days from that big container eventho they say it will last that long ok. Much cheaper buying the 24oz and separating it than buyiing the 8oz ones. Rad cat does have little 1 oz samples, my pet store has had them from time to time. So if you want to try different ones, ask your pet store if they can get some samples the next time they put in an order.