RABIES VACCINE

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

My neutered 5 year old male persian cat last had the rabies shot 3 years ago and he is now due in october. I've switched vets since then. I am here to ask you all what your opinion is on this vaccine his new vet does or what you think is better. My main concerns are sarcomas on the injection site or adverse reactions I have read online that killed/adjuvenated vaccines can cause a reaction. My vet has said quote "all rabies vaccines are killed" is this accurate? Purevax 1 year with a

The vaccine they use:

The vaccine they use is: Purevax 1 year with a canarypox vector (non-adjuvanted)

Also they inject in the "hip"

I always thought the lower limb was safest. Is injection in the hip okay?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not let them inject into the hip. Lower down the leg is preferable, just in case, even though the incidents of injection site sarcoma are rare. I would also try to find a Vet who doses the 3 year Purvax vs the 1 year, just because it's less stressful on the cat (in my opinion) to go through the process.

As to which is better, adjuvanted or not, I guess that's up to you. From what I have read, adjuvanted might give better coverage, however, the side effects (pain at injection side, etc) could be a little worse. So take your pick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three different animal hospitals said this about the vaccines they use. Which is the safest?

Animal Clinic 1

-Purevax rabies vaccine. 1 year.

-Quote "the 3 year contribute to increased cancer"

-Inject them on the back left or right hip.

Animal Clinic 2

-Purevax feline rabies vaccine. -Contain a non-adjuvenated lyophilized suspension of recombinant vectored rabies vaccine plus a sterile water diluent.

-This vaccine comes in a 1 year and a 3 year.

-Inject into the right hind limb around the hip area in the subcutaneous layer.

Animal Clinic 3

-Injection in right hip
-Quote "rabies vaccines is always killed"
-Purevax 1 year. With a canarypox vector (non-adjuvenated)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not let them inject into the hip. Lower down the leg is preferable, just in case, even though the incidents of injection site sarcoma are rare. I would also try to find a Vet who doses the 3 year Purvax vs the 1 year, just because it's less stressful on the cat (in my opinion) to go through the process.

As to which is better, adjuvanted or not, I guess that's up to you. From what I have read, adjuvanted might give better coverage, however, the side effects (pain at injection side, etc) could be a little worse. So take your pick.
Thank you so much for your help! My cat is very low risk. I am so stressed trying to make the right decision I am even considering not doing rabies vaccine at all! Why should i risk all these things when he is so low risk! Im unsure what to do. I prefer non-adjuvenated then i think. I posted what 3 clinics have said would you mind taking a look and seeing what you think. I dont understand them very well. Thank you! 😺

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is rabies requierd by law in your country? If your cat bites someone and they go to the doctor or hospital even for just antibiotics you could be in for a fine and your cat quarentiened if you can't prove they have been vaccinated in some countries.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
AS far as which one to choose, I really don't understand that much about them either. That being said, I would choose option #2 simply because they offer the 3 year non-adjuvenated injection. However, I would ask them if they would give it a little further down the leg rather than in the hip, just to be safe.

I have heard just the opposite of what option 1 states, that the 3 year has more occurrences of increased cancer, especially since now they are saying the risk is more from the actual injection rather than from what is being injected. They used to call it Vaccine Associated Sarcoma (VAS) and now they call it Injection Site Sarcoma (ISS).

In any case, there are no guarantees. Last time one of my cats got his 3 year rabies shot (the only vaccines they get BTW), he did develop a lump and I was terrified for him. Our Vet said to keep an eye on it because most of the time they go away. Sure enough, it disappeared after a couple weeks