Rabies vaccine while on steroids?

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat takes a low dose of prednisolone daily for IBD and chronic pancreatitis.

He hasn't had a rabies vaccine since he started this med in 2019.

We unfortunately had to change vets recently. We board him with vet when we travel, which isn't often, due to his medical issues. This vet will board him, but has us sign a waiver that he doesn't have rabies vaccine. I'm nervous because he once in while does a small nip (love bite, no skin breakage) when waking me up in the morning and I'm afraid he'll do it while there and they will quarantine him. He's never done it anytime he's been boarded before, but I'm nervous.

So long story short, can he even get the rabies vaccine while on pred?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did your vet think this would be a problem? Tell them that he likes to do those love bites (I had a cat that would do them as well. No broken skin, but he'd get overstimulated and grab your finger!) Ask what will happen if he would do this to an employee and if he would need to be quarantined.
FWIW I co-own a boarding place, and we've had a few instances where animals were given a waiver from their veterinarian for certain vaccines for different reasons (age, health, etc.). The vets would give them a thorough exam, sign the waiver, and send the waiver to us declaring them healthy and free of communicable disease. It has never been a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did your vet think this would be a problem? Tell them that he likes to do those love bites (I had a cat that would do them as well. No broken skin, but he'd get overstimulated and grab your finger!) Ask what will happen if he would do this to an employee and if he would need to be quarantined.
FWIW I co-own a boarding place, and we've had a few instances where animals were given a waiver from their veterinarian for certain vaccines for different reasons (age, health, etc.). The vets would give them a thorough exam, sign the waiver, and send the waiver to us declaring them healthy and free of communicable disease. It has never been a problem.
The new vet seemed fine with boarding without rabies shot. She did ask if he was ever aggressive when being handled and I said no. Poor guy has been in hospital a number of times with flares and is always a love bug.

I'm just nervous now that he will love bite them! But he wouldn't be climbing on them in bed! They would be just feeding him when they get him from his cat condo!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The new vet seemed fine with boarding without rabies shot. She did ask if he was ever aggressive when being handled and I said no. Poor guy has been in hospital a number of times with flares and is always a love bug.

I'm just nervous now that he will love bite them! But he wouldn't be climbing on them in bed! They would be just feeding him when they get him from his cat condo!
Just make sure they know what he likes to do, but, if the vet is fine with boarding him as is I'm sure they are not worried. :)