Rabies Vaccination After Exposure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for information.
Today I gave all my cats Rabies shots and I talked to the vet about my concerns,
She said the chances are so slim and almost 0 since the cat has been supervised for almost 6 months now and no symptoms showed up and he would have been death by now if he had rabies virus. She said I do not need to vaccinate myself, but I did that for my cats to be on safe side and it will immune them for the next 3 years because I found out that my other cats also had been vaccinated against rabies last year and this new vaccination is now a booster shot for all of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity what country is the high risk country you are referring to? I would be more concerned to get your other house cats up to date on vaccines. If you are worried about rabies in the new cat why did you let it in to your house with other unvaccinated cats in the first place? It has been 6 months and your new cat is vaccinated, I really don't think you have anything at all to worry about.
The cat is coming from Iran, I actually had no clue about rabies and how scary it is until I read something about it by accident and found out how important the vaccination for pets is.
Well, since I also adopted the other two cats from a rescue I did not know if they had rabies shot but the Vet looked into their health books and found they had been received shots for rabies last year and gave them a booster today so I am now so relieved. so they are all now immune for next 3 years.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds great! It's so much better when you don't have to worry about it any more!

Yeah, like I said earlier, rabies-free countries are pretty strict about letting new animals in so you could be pretty confident that he had a rabies shot before and they confirmed it. I'm glad your vet was able to find the info for you.