Rabbit not pate

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm getting a little frustrated. In the search for a LID rabbit protein wet food that Fancy will eat, EVERYTHING wet is a pate, with the exception of a topper that specifically says "not a nutritionally complete food" (I purchased some accidentally because the front label was not clear about it being a topper).

I did try cutting the pate into chunks but she wasn't fooled. So far I've tried Koha and Rawz and she's nor that happy with either. I have instinct on order. I just suspect she'd be more ready to eat a non pate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What would happen if you mixed the rabbit topper with a rabbit pate - would she eat it that way? If she would, you could actually do the same with one of the dry rabbit foods.
I have done that but I have to watch Fancy's calories and nutrition very carefully. When I adopted her she was only 4.5 pounds (the rescue said she was 6 pounds). Last official weight she was about up to 6.5 a month or so ago. Looking at her condition now I'd say she's at least 7 and vet says her max weight should be around 8. She and my other cat have access to rabbit LID kibble in their timed drop feeder because I'm out from 7 to 5 weekdays, but I think my other cat eats a lot of that. Fancy doesn't seem as interested in kibble (I suspect that's one reason for her weight loss - they were only feeding kibble at the rescue).

She's also licked off the pieces and gravy and leaves some of the pate behind. Both cats have microchip feeders so I know only she's having that bowl, and she's not in Delilah's bowl.

I guess I've become paranoid about her nutrition. She's on a LID due to room clearing flatulence and soft smelly stools (also room clearing - and I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment)

This is her when I first saw her before I adopted her and when I got her home.
20211120_110809.jpg 20211123_084245.jpg

And this is about a week ago.
20220208_070404.jpg 20220208_061357.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nature's Variety has a minced rabbit

Instinct Grain Free Wet Cat Food, Minced Recipe with Gravy Natural Cat Food https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDR3ZZH/?tag=thecatsite
I checked. That one is not "limited ingredients". It has pork in it. Fancy is on an allergy trial so it has to be single protein, at least for 3 months. Supposedly after 3 months, if her allergies clear, I can start introducing other proteins one at a time.

She is looking good!! You are taking very good care of her!

You could consider a raw frozen rabbit food, such as one like this (claims to be nutritionally complete). I suppose you could mix it with some water to make some 'gravy' to go with the morsels?
Absolutely Rabbit Frozen Raw Dinner Morsels | Stella & Chewy's Pet Food (stellaandchewys.com)
Thanks. I learned a lot from having Delilah first. She's supposed to be 9 pounds and weighed in at 11.4 last visit.

If Fancy totally refuses the Instinct LID pate I ordered (no store carries it in my area and I had to order it from Chewy in a case) I'll try the Stella and Chewys.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most rabbit only foods are pate only.

Have you tried freeze dried raw rabbit? A complete diet one, not a topper or treat. A rehydrated smushed up patty or nugget is kind of chunky. Vital Essentials has a rabbit one that doesn't contain any junk stuff Freeze-Dried Mini Patties Raw Rabbit Cat Food | Vital Essentials If you want a picture, I can take one at my cat's next meal.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll look at those next next. I had ordered the instinct LID yesterday after trying to track it down all over the Dallas area. I prefer to get a few cans/small bags to test rather than ordering a case.

I just find the lack of a shred or chunk in rabbit very strange. I could get a shred in venison, but oddly enough the dry that I found had salmon oil which I can't give the other cat. I need them both to be able to eat the same dry.

The vet recommended rabbit or kangaroo. She said no duck because we need to see if it's a poultry issue, and Delilah won't eat lamb.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so this is funny.

I ordered a case of the instinct pate and a small pack of Stella and Chewy freeze dried. I took the S&C bag into another room and put it down to read the package. Fancy comes in and starts sniffing the bag. And then she does it more. Then she starts pawing it and trying to bite into the bag and I had to chase her off (this is a cat who has single handedly tore apart and devoured at least 5 partial packs of temptations treats by herself). I gave her a piece and she went wild over it.

I'll see if she eats the instinct tomorrow. At this point she's been eating a mix of pate and kibble with the topper. I'd rather just give her one food but she has to be willing to eat it.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so this is funny.

I ordered a case of the instinct pate and a small pack of Stella and Chewy freeze dried. I took the S&C bag into another room and put it down to read the package. Fancy comes in and starts sniffing the bag. And then she does it more. Then she starts pawing it and trying to bite into the bag and I had to chase her off (this is a cat who has single handedly tore apart and devoured at least 5 partial packs of temptations treats by herself). I gave her a piece and she went wild over it.

I'll see if she eats the instinct tomorrow. At this point she's been eating a mix of pate and kibble with the topper. I'd rather just give her one food but she has to be willing to eat it.
Freeze dried food has to be fed rehydrated though.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll look at those next next. I had ordered the instinct LID yesterday after trying to track it down all over the Dallas area. I prefer to get a few cans/small bags to test rather than ordering a case.

I just find the lack of a shred or chunk in rabbit very strange. I could get a shred in venison, but oddly enough the dry that I found had salmon oil which I can't give the other cat. I need them both to be able to eat the same dry.

The vet recommended rabbit or kangaroo. She said no duck because we need to see if it's a poultry issue, and Delilah won't eat lamb.
I had to do a novel diet some years ago. Kangaroo was what we used.

You can find high quality limited diet food from Rayne Nutrition. They have rabbit and kangaroo.

Novel Protein Diets and Treats for Cats

Alligator is another one used but seems to have become difficult to find. Rayne used to carry it years ago but no longer.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried food has to be fed rehydrated though.
I know. I read the package (once she left it alone). This one also said it can be crushed as a topper. I did rehydrate it for dinner and she ate it.

I had to do a novel diet some years ago. Kangaroo was what we used.

You can find high quality limited diet food from Rayne Nutrition. They have rabbit and kangaroo.

Novel Protein Diets and Treats for Cats

Alligator is another one used but seems to have become difficult to find. Rayne used to carry it years ago but no longer.
Thanks.

I'll check them next if this doesn't work.

Meanwhile Fancy has been on rabbit for about 2 weeks now. She used the litterbox while I was in the room. It still smelled really bad, but it didn't have the rotten egg/rotten plant smell like before so I'm hopeful it's working (only 2 weeks).

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried the Stella and Chewy after wetting it down - she prefers it as a dry treat.

If the food is just pate, she'll eat a little then ignore it. Same for kibble.

So now we have what I'm calling "bunny mix" - 1/4 can pate mixed with enough water to make a slurry, about 1 to 2 tbsp of kibble (depending on which meal it is), and 1 tbsp of topper. She gets this 3x, plus there is rabbit kibble in the timed feeder for her and her sister. I'm glad I splurged on the microchip feeder with the network connection - I've discovered Fancy is a grazer and goes back to her bowl several times over the day while my other cat is generally 1 and done, with maybe a little bit leftover for later.

The things we do for our cats.