Quite upset about new kitten

stormi71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
We picked up our new kitten from the breeder today, she is a ragdoll. Having never had bought from a breeder before (she is a registered breeder), I wasn't sure what to expect. So we pick up our kitten and she stunk, she'd just done a poop and the breeder said she'd stepped in it, so cleaned up her feet. The breeders house absolutely stunk, not of cat poop or week, but it was like a wet dog smell. Anyway, the breeder said she had five dogs as well as all her breeding cats etc.
So after our hour long drive home, we put Deliah in her safe room, and she came straight out and was happy to explore. Then hubby notice she had poo (runny) all up her tail and around the fur around her bum etc. She didn't eliminate in the car on the way home, so this was there when we picked her up. It was so bad I had no choice than to bathe the poor thing! I have no problem with bathing a cat (although this is the first time I'd ever done it), but Delilah would be stressed enough having just come into a new house with new people, let alone having to have a bath as well! She has been bathed before (so the breeder said) but the bath water was disgusting even before I shampooed her! She still smells of whatever that smell was in the breeders house (like wet dog smell), but not as bad. She has got a bit of diarrhea because she was all clean but now her bottom is dirty again. I know they can get that a bit from stress.
So I'm just a tad upset because you would think if you're paying a lot of money for a purebred cat, they'd at least be clean when you pick them up. It was so bad that my three kids (aged 8, 12 and 15) wouldn't even touch her until she'd had her bath. That just doesn't seem right to me that a cat should be that smelly with poo everywhere when being picked up. They may not have noticed it on her tail as she had a dark tail, but still, WE managed to notice it.
So now I am worrying how well the kitten actually was raised, because of how stinky she was and the house was. Like I said, she is a registered breeder AND the president of a cat fancy. She was quite bad with communication, too, over the few weeks we were waiting for Delilah to be ready. I'd send emails that went unanswered, then I'd text her and she'd always have some excuse like she didn't get my emails etc.
Other than that, Delilah has settled in well and has already explored some of our house. She's very confident and now she's clean again, the kids have been playing with her. She' gone back in her safe room to have a nap, but she's crying at the door constantly! I told the kids not to let her out because if they do everytime she cries, then she'll cry all night.
I'm wondering, though, if the breeders house is cause for concern? I don't know what standards breeders are meant to have, but something just sits wrong with me.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, first, I don't know your experience with cats?  A lot of people, even people who claim they have experience with cats, kind of treat them like dogs.  And for a dog, putting it in a room and ignoring the cries is what you would do to "Show him who's master"... But this is not true of cats.  Cats do not like closed doors as a general rule.  Open the door.  Let her decide when she needs to go to her safe room.  Tell your kids when she goes there, do not bother her or follow her.  That is what you are trying to establish.  What your are doing is consider cruel to a cat.  She can hear you out there. She wants to be with you... Let her.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience with the breeder but there were several red flags that you missed.  But, what's done is done and not much can be done to help you now except say yes, the kitten should have come to you clean. Most breeders do not let you meet at their houses.  Most usually meet you elsewhere so that's unusual.  But the judgment on that is just your opinion.

Runs are to be expected.  She is stressed but soon it will subside.  Again I am sorry you had an unpleasant breeder experience.  Open the door to your new kitty.  Dogs have masters.  Cats have staff.  :)

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, first, I don't know your experience with cats?  A lot of people, even people who claim they have experience with cats, kind of treat them like dogs.  And for a dog, putting it in a room and ignoring the cries is what you would do to "Show him who's master"... But this is not true of cats.  Cats do not like closed doors as a general rule.  Open the door.  Let her decide when she needs to go to her safe room.  Tell your kids when she goes there, do not bother her or follow her.  That is what you are trying to establish.  What your are doing is consider cruel to a cat.  She can hear you out there. She wants to be with you... Let her.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience with the breeder but there were several red flags that you missed.  But, what's done is done and not much can be done to help you now except say yes, the kitten should have come to you clean. Most breeders do not let you meet at their houses.  Most usually meet you elsewhere so that's unusual.  But the judgment on that is just your opinion.

Runs are to be expected.  She is stressed but soon it will subside.  Again I am sorry you had an unpleasant breeder experience.  Open the door to your new kitty.  Dogs have masters.  Cats have staff.  :)
I agree but I have to add, since she is tiny, make sure your place is safe for her. Like make sure she can't get into trouble, like behind the stove or refrigerator. I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Now enjoy your wee one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormi71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been in her safe room with the door closed for about an hour maximum today. I have not shut her in there and left her there all day on her own. I thought she may be tired and put her in there for a rest.
If it's cruel to confine a cat, then why does every breeder and animal shelter recommend it? Maybe it's different in Australia, but EVERY piece of advice I have heard and read has said to confine them in one room until they are settled in, even if it takes days. I never knew that nor did that with my last cat, but now all the "experts" say it's what you should do to minimize stress?
We got her home around midday, it's after 9pm now, she's only been in th safe room on her own for an hour that whole time. The rest of the time she's either been in there with the door open, happily playing with myself or my kids, she's also now explored all of our house except the bedrooms and bathroom/toilet. She's sleeping up in her cat tree now after her busy day.
As for breeders not letting you go to their homes, well I guess that's different in Australia, too. Most breeders expect you to come and pick them up from their cattery. Alarm bells would ring for me if the breeder DIDN'T want me to see the breeding conditions. The house was clean, the cats all looked healthy and happy and were all very friendly, it just SMELLED like wet dog.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First welcome to the site :wavey:

I'm sorry you are having this problem with your new kitten.
I'm a registered breeder but I just want to state that just because a breeder is registered doesn't mean they are a good breeder even if the are a president of a cat breed club.

Now I agree there were a few red flags you missed like unanswered emails and that. But if you have never brought a pedigree cat before it's very hard to know as you don't know what to expect. Its best now to just write this off as a bad experience that you have learnt a lesson from. If something don't seem right it's because it's not - just walk away and find another breeder.

You know this now so please don't let this experience put you off buying a pedigree cat again. There are good breeders out there its just finding one and you will be more clued up about it next time.

Now I don't know if things are done differently in America when getting a new kitten but here in England you ALWAYS go to the breeders home to collect your new kitten. You are always told NEVER to buy a puppy or kitten from anyone who wants to meet you anywhere but their home. You want to see the kittens in their home environment with their mother and siblings. If a breeder did not want me to go to their home I would think they were hiding something. Like they are a backyard breeder and the animal are kept in bad conditions.

As for putting her in her safe room I don't see anything wrong with that for a short time. Sometimes you need to for their safety and you know where she is, if you are having deliveries ect... You don't want them slipping out the door and getting lost. Most people recommend confining a new cat or kitten to a safe room when you first bring them home. This is because most cats and kittens will be a bit scared and confused in a new environment and will need a few days to get use to their new environment. - but it sounds like your new kitten settled in virtually straight away which is really good ! :D
Its also recommended if you already have resident cats for which you would need to do staged introductions and a safe room would be needed then.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @GemsGemabout the "safe room" thing.  The purpose of confining a new cat there is usually so THEY feel safe, especially if you have a large house or other animals that have not met her yet.  Most cats or kittens take a few days to come out socially, but some are social from the beginning.  Since it appears you have a happy outgoing kitten or cat, there is no reason to keep them confined when you are home, so by all means let her out.  The more she interacts with your family, the better family member she will become.  It sounds like she has the wonderful easygoing Ragdoll disposition too.

As for the breeder, it sounds as if she has too much on her plate at the moment -- five dogs plus a number of breeding cats is a lot to care for, so the fact that you could go there and the place was basically clean is a good sign.  Some breeds of dogs are just generally stinky (Beagles for instance) and have a strong "wet dog" body odor except immediately after being bathed.  Other dogs (Poodles for instance) do not have this odor.  Since the breeder lives with the five dogs, she probably doesn't even notice the odor, but you do.  Your kitten will lose the smell over time, although she may need another bath in a week or so if the doggy odor has not left her.  For all you know, she may have been sleeping with the dogs!  Now hopefully she can sleep with you so she won't be lonely.  Many years ago, my husband and I were in our twenties and got a baby Siamese.  We made her a nice room with a bed and her food and litterbox and expected her to sleep there.  We were totally wrong.  Siamese are very loud and very persistent and she did not want to sleep alone.  If we wanted to sleep, she was going to sleep with us. And so it was.  :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormi71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. She was happy sleeping in her safe room last night, didn't hear a peep out of her. Went in there this morning and she was quite content on TOP of this soft cube shaped bed thing lol. Her bottom was still dirty, but then she got a skid where she was sitting and tried to cover it with air, so I popped her into her litterbox and she did a poo. Wasn't runny but very soft. Which she got all over her paws as she is a very vigorous poop coverer. So I gave her a sitz bath to clean her paws, as it was sticky and hard to clean with just cat wipes etc, cleaned her bottom, too. After she pooped, her bottom has stayed clean, and it's been about two and a half hours now. So hopefully it will stay that way.
She's settled in really, really well. Has been exploring the house and the kids have been playing with her all morning. She's a happy little girl, and hopefully she'll stay a clean little girl now, too. I am going to trim her butt fur as she's quite fluffy and the fur is quite long around that area.