Quick Question about poo (lol)

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If only one of my 10 cats doesn't cover his poo, is this a territorial thing? Or is this a Himalayan thing? (My Himmy is doing it)

Thanks for any answers.

Warmly,

Julie O'

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sort of a dominance thing. Usually one of the "lower rank" cats will bury it for them. Two of our cats leave their mess uncovered and the last cat to join the clan is the one that does it for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I thought that might be the case! I guess it's good that only one of 10 cats does it. There's a story behind my Himmy as well that could explain. He's the nicest guy!!!!! :eek:)))))

Thanks so much for answering!! :-D

Warmly,

Naps

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Isabella first came home she was only seven weeks old (now she is nearly 9 weeks) and she didn't 'know' to cover her messes, so Zoe my 1 year old would hop in the pan and cover it for her when Izzy was done.
Eventually Izzy caught on and now she does it on her own.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awdweena,

(Love that name, hee!)

That is so cute! I went through teaching fosters where to pee/poo when I was fostering.

With this case, I was kinda hopin' Chief Red Cloud would follow the lead of the others. But . . . {{{sigh}}} not a chance. Meowaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Warmly,

Ju

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Presley then, he must have the lowly job of poop patrol..
He always goes in and helps the other's cover their business. Pipsqueak is the only one that will leave his poop uncovered, but he only does this once in awhile.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten didnt cover his poop for a while, and my adult cat was more than accomodating during that period. The kitten is still pretty bad at covering, and still infrequently ends up needing a bath afterward due to poopy paws. I actually wish it would go back to him not even trying to cover...

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, on that note - I DO have a poop-scoop supervisor! Squint-Delicious is always watching me scoop the poop/pee every single time I do it. I have to keep her at a distance (she always wants to be close to reeeeeeally inspect and make sure I'm doing it right), because her double eye surgery she had - gotta keep those peepers alive and seeing! :eek:)

Warmly,

Ju

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Ju! It's a childhood nickname that just stuck.

Both of mine watch me scoop. They sit side by side opposite me, eyes wide and stare. Then as soon as I'm done, one hops in and does her thing.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly!! Once they're cleaned out, in they go!! lol!

Gotta love'em!

I have 5 super-jumbo boxes that I clean twice a day... why is litter so heavy? ugh! lol

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna doesn't cover. She leaves it for Midnight to cover for her

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly doesn't cover his poop.

He's Top Cat, but he wasn't always. Ootay was Top Cat until she left us for the Bridge, and Mazy and Jennie elected Tolly Top Cat after that.

But Tolly has never covered his poop. And he has the smelliest poop of all the cats too.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! Your Mazey looks exactly like my Beijo (except that my Beijo is a boy).

Look at my pic, above, of Beijo lying in a big bed similar to that of your Mazey!!

It's interesting how they pick top cat. I wonder if THAT is the controversey here... that Chief Red Cloud is taking over as top cat (he certainly acts like one, to be sure) and Fuzz isn't giving in, and Tiny Dancer is sticking up for Fuzz? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm Fur-for-Thought! lol

I have a picture of all of my cats somewhere on here - I've been trying to get them all on my signature like the others and submitted them a few days ago on the Signature forum - guessing that takes awhile? (Chief Red Cloud and Tiny Dancer are not in my pictures, above).

Awwww, blessings in heaven to Ootay . . .

Warmly,

Julie O'

Originally Posted by otto

Tolly doesn't cover his poop.

He's Top Cat, but he wasn't always. Ootay was Top Cat until she left us for the Bridge, and Mazy and Jennie elected Tolly Top Cat after that.

But Tolly has never covered his poop. And he has the smelliest poop of all the cats too.

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rad65

My kitten didnt cover his poop for a while, and my adult cat was more than accomodating during that period. The kitten is still pretty bad at covering, and still infrequently ends up needing a bath afterward due to poopy paws. I actually wish it would go back to him not even trying to cover...
This is too funny!

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know!

"It's all about poo, baby . . ." (or however that song goes). Thought I'd only get one answer here, but it's comforting to know other cats do the same thing (that aren't sick... physically, lol)

Oh, and Chief Red-Cloud's poo stinks more than anybody's too. Geeeeeeez Luiiiiiiiiz!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago my mother had a cat with IBS, terrible stinky poops and he never covered. The dog would follow Jack into the room and after Jack left the box, our dog Cinder would cover the poop.