Quick Q on litter placement

negara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
We live in an apartment. We have Charlie's litter in the balcony with the French windows open. It's getting cold and we can't keep the window open much longer. Now I'm at a loss to whether place it inside (will it stink?) or to cut out a part of the window and make a sort if cat door ( will he use it in the rain/ snow?)
Our bathrooms are both too small and if we place it inside the only option will be right inside one of the bedrooms ( is it sanitary?)
Please help. We're starting to freeze!
Where's your cat's litter?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep the litter box clean, there will not be an odor problem. Charlie will want a bathroom that is protected from the weather, so unless the balcony is enclosed, please do find a place inside for it!

I wouldn't want a box in the bedroom, mainly because of the potential for noise (scratching and digging) when I am trying to sleep.

You can put the box in one of the small bathrooms, put it in the tub or shower, simply lift it out when you need to use the shower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

negara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanksso much for the input.

I do very much prefer to make the balcony thing work , though.  for all the reasons I mentioned.

The balcony is semi enclosed. It is surrounded by three walls and the fourth wall is half open like a window , but this opening is covered by a wire net , so I'm sure about his safety there. I was thinking of covering this opening with nylon sheets to protect the box from rain and snow... I have other perishables on this balcony that will need to be protected from direct rain or snow too , so the rain won't be falling ON the box ,  but the litter will be cold.

The winters here are not terrible. It could get to around 30  degrees for about a month or two. With occasional rain and snow two to three times during the whoe winter.

So if I do the window cutting thing , do u think he'll use the cold (but not wet) litter? I don't want to go into all this trouble and end up with him going in the middle of the room!

teeneythebetta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can keep up with odors by keeping everything very tidy.

I at one point had to have my cat's litter box in my bedroom. It was annoying. Because the litter tracking would get on the carpet, so I had to vacuum twice a day. Eventually I got a big piece of carpet just to lay around the litter box, so that I could just carry the piece of carpet outside and shake it off.

Then we got a cat door for my bathroom. (if youre wondering why wwe got a door- it is so that my dogs cant drink out of the toilet, and we dont have to worry about remembering to leave the door open constantly) I find it so much better. My bathroom is pretty small as well. I just have it right between the toilet and the sink, and at least twice daily (often times more- if I know when they go.) I go in and scoop out the box, and I have a mini broom and dust pan that I got at dollar tree.

I use one box for two cats, and I use arm & hammer clumping litter, and completely change out all the litter, bleach the box, and add in new litter every 1-2 weeks depending on if it needs it or not.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Where you put your litter box depends mostly on where you're most comfortable with it. Oh, and where the cat will use it.
I have a litter box in my bedroom, one in the bathroom, two in the hallway, one in the living room (behind a fireplace screen), and one on the enclosed patio (they have a cat door to get out there). The boxes that generally get the most use are the one in the bathroom and one of the hallway boxes. I won't put litter boxes in the kitchen or dining room.

thedeej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My rescue kitty Azlan will only use the box if its in the front hallway of my condo. I tried it in the bathroom but I think he may have been locked in one a bit in his former life and would pee just outside of the box. He growled a bit when I was carrying him into the bathroom so I moved the box.

At first I thought it just had to be out of the bathroom, so I moved it to a more convenient place nearby and he peed where the box was. Most of the time, your cat will choose the place.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a teeny tiny cabin bathroom that I keep 2 litter boxes for 3 cats in.  They fit under the sink and I use a litter mat.  As long as you keep up with it, which is easy when you're in the loo anyway throughout the day, there will be no odor problem.  Especially if you keep the bag of scooped poop outside, which would make good use of the balcony until you can dump it permanently.  If you have a cabinet under the sink you could put it in there, or use one of those dual furniture piece/litter box things that could go in just about any room.  To me the bathroom makes the most sense for people living in tight quarters.  Those furniture piece things would probably make me lazy about keeping the litter box clean - out of sight, out of mind

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just another thought.  I am intriqued with the idea of training cats to use the toilet.  I downloaded instructions on what seems to make a lot of sense on how to do this on E-bay for $1.99.  I haven't checked if there are any instructions on TCS.  You can also buy a kit for about $40 with everything you will need.  I think when my 2 little guys are a little older I am at least going to try this system.  Not sure how to train them how to flush though!

BTW, when I was in college I lived in a studio apartment with a bathroom so small the shower stall was literally in the kitchen area. I put the little box inside the cabinet under the kitchen sink. The doors did not latch so my kittie could easily pull the door open to get in.  Not the ideal set up, but it worked and the closed doors kept it tidy.  

Charlie will let you know very soon if he doesn't want to use a cold litter box.  Is it possible to place a small heater out there for Charlie if you keep the balcony set up?  You can set some so they only go on when the temperature reaches a certain temperature.  Even a chicken brooder heat lamp placed over the littler box would provide some heat and would be a good outside option.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just another thought.  I am intriqued with the idea of training cats to use the toilet.  I downloaded instructions on what seems to make a lot of sense on how to do this on E-bay for $1.99.  I haven't checked if there are any instructions on TCS.  You can also buy a kit for about $40 with everything you will need.  I think when my 2 little guys are a little older I am at least going to try this system.  Not sure how to train them how to flush though!

You have probably heard this before but, if your cats use the toilet instead of litter boxes,  you will not be able to see early signs of digestive problems.  I have 4 inside boxes and it only takes 3 minutes to scoop and fluff all of them. 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I have not heard that before but I will do more research before trying it on my cats.  Since the cat wouldn't be flushing, couldn't you tell by what's left in the toilet?  Small human children who can't fully communicate use the toilet.  I would think there would be other clues if there were a digestive problem brewing.  With 3 cats I never know who's poop is who's anyway unless I'm right there. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to keep track of who is doing what and where.  I am disabled and am home almost all the time, so I can keep a closer eye on them.  If I suspect one of them is having problems, I watch them using the box and get a good look at the poop - from a few feet away - before they cover it up.  (Hey, they watch ME using the toilet)

Also if one cat is having problems, like blood on the stools, if they are using the toilet it would wash off and go down to the bottom of the bowl highly diluted.  You might not even notice it.

Another thing, if the aroma level changes, the water in the toilet will mask the change.  That change is one of the earliest signs of intestinal bugs, like giardia. 

Last edited:

kumitekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think your cat will still use the litter box even when the weather gets cold. I no longer let my cats outdoors, but when I did have an indoor/outdoor cat, he would carefully go outside in the snow, do his business and want in immediately. I never had problems with him going by the door in the house or anything. That is more of a territorial issue. But, it does depend on the cat. If it's already out there and he uses it, then maybe he likes that location too. Cats like to be outside. They like to be warm too...so you will have to see what his preference is.

I think it would be worth it to try it. If you make elaborate changes though in order to accommodate keeping the litter box out there, you should be prepared that he may not like it.

I would say you have a 50/50 chance. Really helpful I know, but cats are as unpredictable as people as far as knowing what their preferences may be.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
We live in an apartment. We have Charlie's litter in the balcony with the French windows open. It's getting cold and we can't keep the window open much longer. Now I'm at a loss to whether place it inside (will it stink?) or to cut out a part of the window and make a sort if cat door ( will he use it in the rain/ snow?)
Our bathrooms are both too small and if we place it inside the only option will be right inside one of the bedrooms ( is it sanitary?)
Please help. We're starting to freeze!
Where's your cat's litter?
Thanksso much for the input.

I do very much prefer to make the balcony thing work , though.  for all the reasons I mentioned.

The balcony is semi enclosed. It is surrounded by three walls and the fourth wall is half open like a window , but this opening is covered by a wire net , so I'm sure about his safety there. I was thinking of covering this opening with nylon sheets to protect the box from rain and snow... I have other perishables on this balcony that will need to be protected from direct rain or snow too , so the rain won't be falling ON the box ,  but the litter will be cold.

The winters here are not terrible. It could get to around 30  degrees for about a month or two. With occasional rain and snow two to three times during the whoe winter.

So if I do the window cutting thing , do u think he'll use the cold (but not wet) litter? I don't want to go into all this trouble and end up with him going in the middle of the room!
Is there any way you could put plastic over the net on the inside?  Or maybe sheets of foam insulation?  How big is the opening that you would have to insulate?

I think he would be reluctant to use cold litter, but it might not bother him.  Do the perishables have to be kept cool?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

negara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the great support.
The opening is about 7 by 4 feet. I can't cover it with foam because this opening provides the only natural light to two bedrooms. But the clear plastic lets light through. The perishables have to be kept cool but not too cool so the plastic will work.

I got some heartwarming news from Charlie's previous owner that last winter he was using the cold outdoor litter. So I'm going with the balcony idea first.

Can anyone plz tell me the standard dimensions of a cat door? Does it have to accomodate him as he walks streight out or can it be lower in height than him?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one the ladies are using is about 14 x 10 and is mounted 4 inches off the floor.  The door only has to be big enough for him to go through comfortably.  The door here was chosen for two 20 pound cats,
Wickett and Truman
.  Hardware stores sell special plastic for windows that is mounted and then tightened through heat-shrinking with a hair dryer.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you like the idea of him going on the balcony and are going to try that but if I were you I would buy another box and put that inside. That way you are letting Charlie decide what he is most comfortable with. If it gets cold and he decides he doesn't want to go out there it's going to be much harder to try and clean up his mess (to prevent him from re-marking) than it would be just to have another box inside. I have a litterbox in my bedroom and it's really no big deal. Just clean it once a day as others have suggested and I think you will find the intrusion minimal. 

I understand you may not have room to have the box inside your bathroom but perhaps you can get it close to it? Then, use a natural litter like World's Best that is flushable and clean up will be a breeze! 

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Especially if you keep the bag of scooped poop outside, which would make good use of the balcony until you can dump it permanently.  If you have a cabinet under the sink you could put it in there, or use one of those dual furniture piece/litter box things that could go in just about any room.  To me the bathroom makes the most sense for people living in tight quarters.  Those furniture piece things would probably make me lazy about keeping the litter box clean - out of sight, out of mind
I am a huge fan of the Litter Genie and Litter Locker.  Summers around here are hot and kitty waste smells will knock you off your feet if it's kept outside.  We have a Litter Locker for each box.  Each takes one week to fill up, so we empty them on our weekly trash day.  The best part is, there is no smelly garbage can to deal with.

We have four boxes.  Two are in the "sitting room" part of the dining room and two are in a spare bedroom.  The two in the dining room area are each enclosed in THIS.  The two in the bedroom are enclosed in Rubbermaid tubs.  We have a routine of scooping all boxes twice a day at feeding time, so we never forget.  We also have no smell.  I could never have a litter box in our bedroom because of the scratching/digging noises (I'm a really light sleeper), and I will never again have a box in the bathroom because stepping on litter on the floor in my bare feet (especially freshly showered bare feet) grosses me out.

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of getting a litter genie or locker.  I live in a cold climate now, but I've lived in warm year round places and you're right about the stink factor.  I once had the luxury of having a nice size laundry room and that was by far the best set up ever.  The ottoman is beautiful, BTW.  I have two Iris High Top boxes - they are open at the top, and high on three sides.  They do a good job of containing the litter in the box, and the litter mat in front of the opening does an amazing job of trapping what sticks on their feet.  With hardwood floors, I keep a small dustpan/broom and usually vacuum several  times a week.  Believe me, I hate stepping out of the shower onto litter even if it's clean!  I keep the shower mat hanging over the shower door, and only use it after showering so I don't step on litter - yuk!  I would love to have the space of having a dedicated kitty area or even an extra room, but for now the bathroom is my only option other than the kitchen, living room or bedroom.  Luckily this works for my cats too, and when I'm in the bathroom and have a few extra seconds, I can make several scoops a day. 

thedeej

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I highly recommend the litter locker. Azlan being a condo cat, it truly does lock the smell away. People enter my place and there is no trace of any bad liter smell... unless Azlan went just before they came in.