Quick & Easy recipes! I want yours!!

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My favorite fast dinner:

Make some rice in the rice cooker.

Set the oven to broil.
Take one portion of frozen fish. I prefer Costco's single serving Chilean Sea Bass.
Make a tin foil dish by crumpling the sides so that any juice stays with the fish. I use double a double layer of tin foil.
With a fork, shave little pieces of butter onto the top of the fish. Top with a tiny sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.
Take 2 cloves of garlic and smash them with the flat side of a knife as. Lay the garlic on the fish.
Place the fish in the oven.
Come back in 15 minutes, and serve your fish on a plate with rice and a wedge of lemon.

You can play with spice combinations for toppings it's really fun and gives you an idea of what spices go well with what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

I've got the BEST soup for you, you can eat it hot or cold and I'm the QUEEN of easy easy

1lb butternut squash
1lb sweetpotatoe (you could do 2lbs of just butternut squash)
3 green apples
1 large onion

cut up in to chunks
toss with oil, salt and pepper
bake at 400 until done (apples will be done first but just keep cooking)
blend ingredients in batches in a processor until it's a smooth consistency, I add water to make it more 'soupy'
once done, add some chopped garlic and chili powder

YUM
Oh that soup sounds sooo good!
I love soup!

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tuna Casserole

1 can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of milk
2 cans of tuna
half a cup of frozen peas
Butter or marge
1 onion. chopped fine
Grated cheese (cheddar is good!)
1-2 cups of rotini, depending on size of dish

Boil rotini. Preset oven to around 400.
Saute the onions in about two TBSP of butter until cooked. Add soup, stir until warm, then add milk and tuna. Stir until soup is mixed well with milk. Put the noodles in a baking dish, add soup mix, throw in some frozen peas, top with cheese. Bake for about half an hour. It's YUMMY, and very easy to double.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Quill_luv

Tuna Casserole

1 can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 cup of milk
2 cans of tuna
half a cup of frozen peas
Butter or marge
1 onion. chopped fine
Grated cheese (cheddar is good!)
2 cups of rotini

Boil rotini. Preset oven to around 400.
Saute the onions in about two TBSP of butter until cooked. Add milk, stir until warm, then add soup and tuna. Put the noodles in a baking dish, add soup mix, throw in some frozen peas, top with cheese. Bake for about half an hour. It's YUMMY!!!
I will definitely try that one! Thanks!

Come on peeps, keep em coming please
These are great ideas!

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the original recipe I've been making for over 10 years, as it first appeared in Vegetarian Times. I've tinkered a bit and added extra info if useful.

Mexican Lasagna

15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (I prefer using more black beans, esp in ratio to the corn, I think it tastes better)
14oz can diced tomatoes
4oz can of chopped green chilies
1.5 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 green onions, minced
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp dried oregano
8 corn tortillas
1 ½ cups greated Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese

Preheat over to 400 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine beans, tomatoes, chilies, corn, green onions, cumin and oregano; mix thoroughly.

Oil a 2 quart casserole or baking dish (I use cooking spray).
Line baking dish with 4 tortillas, overlapping if necessary.
Spread half of bean mixure in a layer over tortillas, then sprinkle with half of cheese.
Repeat.

Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Let stand 1-2 minutes, then cut into squares to serve. Highly recommend serving with sour cream and tortilla chips of course.

==========================================
Extra notes:

I cook dry beans and freeze the leftovers. The seasonings and cook time, IMO, is worth it and the dish tastes much better. I do it on a weekend, not when I want to make it pronto. If this is not pleasing, I suggest you heat the can beans with garlic and onion and simmer for a bit first so the flavors bloom. I find it a bit bland otherwise.

The packages of corn tortes I can find have 10 tortes, so I have 2 leftover.
To make you own chips: Cut into fourths (a pizza cutter works great). Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Place in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 375degrees for 8-10 minutes, until chips begin to color.

I find this recipe v. easy to double. I’ve also frozen once cooked (as long as the beans weren’t frozen previously) and it has come out fine.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

So has anyone tried any of these recipes yet? Other than the original poster of each recipe of course. Just wondering.
I need to know that too LOL.
If I ever give a recipe out it is a requirement they get back to me and tell me how it was

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

So has anyone tried any of these recipes yet? Other than the original poster of each recipe of course. Just wondering.
Its only been one day!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just going to post a thread about winter warmer recipes and I found this. We had a chicken pie last night:

2 chicken breasts
3 rashers
2 small onions
5-6 mushrooms
100ml chicken stock
160ml cream
tarragon as required for taste

mashed potatoes with butter and milk (last night I used garlic butter for extra flavour!)

Cook the chicken, bacon, onion and mushrooms in olive oil. Add the stock, cream and tarragon and simmer. Place in a baking tray, put the mash on top and stick in the oven for half an hour (or until golden on top) at 180 degrees celsius. Eat and enjoy!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I was just going to post a thread about winter warmer recipes and I found this. We had a chicken pie last night:

2 chicken breasts
3 rashers
2 small onions
5-6 mushrooms
100ml chicken stock
160ml cream
tarragon as required for taste

mashed potatoes with butter and milk (last night I used garlic butter for extra flavour!)

Cook the chicken, bacon, onion and mushrooms in olive oil. Add the stock, cream and tarragon and simmer. Place in a baking tray, put the mash on top and stick in the oven for half an hour (or until golden on top) at 180 degrees celsius. Eat and enjoy!
That sounds amazing! What are rashers though?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here one that might be nice for Thanksgiving:

-- In your biggest mixing bowl, make some yellow cornbread batter, either from a mix or your favorite recipe -- but leave out the eggs.

-- Then throw in a pound of extra-sharp shredded cheddar cheese and three cups of cut corn (frozen is fine), and mix it all up. There will be only enough batter to barely hold the cheese and corn together. That's okay! (Sometimes I add a few chopped green onion tops and a dash of cayenne pepper, too.)

-- If your original recipe or mix called for one 9x12 pan, you'll want to use two, because this needs to be spread thin... and I like to line the pans with parchment, because the cheese will tend to stick otherwise.

-- Bake it at 375 F for a good long time, until the edges are nice and brown. S'wonderful! (If I do say so myself!)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I adore my crock pots, especially in the cooler months. I love 'em so much that I frequently have both the 6 quart large one AND the 4 quart smaller one going at the same time!

I recently came across a recipe for homemade apple sauce that really is fabulous, easy and quick. I hope someone will try it and let me know what you think, but my husband and I really enjoyed it.

8 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks (I used Granny Smith apples)
1/2 Cup Water
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (I up'ed the cinnamon because we really like cinnamon)
1/2 Cup Sugar

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Delicious served warm or chilled.

Variations:

Toss a handful of those red cinnamon candy hearts in the pot in place of the ground cinnamon. Adds a rosy color and spicy tone.

Add raisins or chopped walnuts during the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking. (As a personal note, this stuff rocks warm over vanilla ice cream! *wink*)

Add to yogurt or cooked oatmeal.

Another really good crock pot recipe I found was for ham and sweet potatoes. I normally don't like sweet potatoes all that much, but fixed in this way, both my husband and I really enjoyed them. I sent this dish off to work with my husband and when he got home, he told me that a lady there commented on how much his wife loved him to send such a nice lunch with him to work. *smile*

1 Large Can of Sweet Potatoes, sliced into chunks
1 Large Cooked Ham Slice
1 Large Can Mandarin Oranges or Chunk Pineapple, retain liquid. (I used the oranges, but I think I would like it even better with the pineapple.)
3 Tablespoons Honey
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch

Place potatoes in bottom of slow cooker. Arrange ham and fruit on top. Combine honey, brown sugar, cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of the retained fruit liquid and drizzle over ham and fruit. Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours.