Quick -- anybody who knows something about allergic reactions to Augmentin?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey
Glad to hear you're feeling better now. I had a terrible reaction to Augmentin...full body rash, itchy mouth/face. It never thankfully caused breathing problems, but I now avoid anything in the same family.

The treatment was rest, lots of water, benadryl and a different antibiotic.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your feeling better today? You still need some of these even if you are

I`ve only taken it once but it gave me terrible diarrheoa
Couldn`t leave the house but carried on taking it because it says on the bottle to complete the course
then was told off by the doctor for still taking it and it didn`t work anyway!

Have a nice relaxing day today

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love you guys! I'm sorry, if I'd known you were still concerned, I would have come and checked in sooner.

I know that you were right in telling me to go to the ER. If our roles had been reversed, I would have been smacking y'all upside the head, too. I could have at least gone and sat in the lobby so I'd be there if something did happen, and I'm sorry I was too stupid to do so.

By about 2:00 in the morning, I felt like my breathing was pretty much normal, and at that point, I went ahead and ate a piece of toast and took some Percogesic for the pain and to help me sleep. In retrospect, that probably wasn't very smart of me... if the breathing trouble had recurred while I was sleeping so hard, that could have been bad.

The conclusion I've reached is that, when I'm sick, I haven't got good sense and ought to just do what people tell me!

So... now all I have is some lingering digestive issues and, of course, the original dratted problem. I went to the doctor's office around 10:30 and explained what had happened -- they started to prescribe Cipro, but then gave me some Avelox instead. So far, just some drymouth from that, so maybe this one will work for me.

And to my amazement, the pharmacy says they'll actually give me a refund on the Augmentin! It's certainly not their fault I had a reaction to it... but they're just awfully nice people (it's Target -- their pharmacy is wonderful).

Anyway... I can't thank you all enough for your concern and your vibes and your advice, even if I was too dumb to take it.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What should I avoid while taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium?
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or has blood in it, call your doctor. Do not use any medicine to stop the diarrhea unless your doctor has told you to.

Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have diarrhea that is severe or lasts longer than 3 days, or if you have nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, or jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Keep taking the medication and talk with your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:

mild diarrhea, gas, stomach pain;

nausea or vomiting;

headache;

skin rash or itching;

white patches in your mouth or throat; or

vaginal yeast infection (itching or discharge).

Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium?
Before taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:

allopurinol (Zyloprim);

probenecid (Benemid); or

another antibiotic (for the same or for a different infection).

If you are using any of these drugs, you may not be able to use amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium, or you may need dosage adjustments or special tests during treatment.

Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium can make birth control pills less effective. Use a second non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium.

There may be other drugs not listed that can affect amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.

Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist has additional information about amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium written for health professionals that you may read.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get to the ER asap hon if you think you're having an allergic reaction (sounds like you are!) i am REALLY allergic to agumitten along with a bunch of other things. If you have an Epi pen- use it and have someone drive you to the doctor quickly. Each person has different reactions so there's no way to judge that medications effects from one person to the next....i know for me when i was prescribed it- it sent me into some really severe asthma attacks, i couldn't breath, and i had a rash. Luckily when i got to the ER (i was little at the time) they gave me something and it helped. Good luck hon
Feel better soon hon.

Also in the future- be sure to check all medications and make sure they aren't too similar to agumitten. Many pharmacies will note your allergies and cross check them with any new presciptions before sending them out nowdays (walgreens does that on mine).