Questions

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

She says we shouldnt alter them to "suit our needs". And if we dont want the cat to be natural like nature intended then you shouldnt have a cat. And that its unfair to the cat.

But shes stupid for thinking declawing is "ok", im not sure where she comes off saying that.
I think its unfair to the cat to have her as an owner

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your 'friend' gets a male cat that starts stinking out your house I'm sure they will be the first down the vets for a neuter...
When Sonic got neutered I actually felt I could breath again- his wee really was bad

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
declawing is actually a much more barbaric practice than spaying or neutering, especially considering that the behavior that declawing "stops" is preventable, and you can certainly teach your cat to not claw furniture or people (usually). The results, though, are horrific when you consider how long it is that it takes a cat to recover from it, and how much it hurts them. Not only do they suffer having a bone cut in half, and being amputated, but they also suffer for weeks afterwards... they have to use their paws for everything. It's just like taking a human and cutting all their fingers off at the first knuckle, only a cat has to walk on theirs, scoop litter, run, etc.

Spaying is a little more invasive than neutering, but even so.. a cat that's been spayed can and will still play within a couple of days, and is feeling much better within a short period of time.

I'm sure your friend doesn't realize what is actually involved for the cat in declawing, because she seems to believe that altering is more invasive and hurtful to the cat. Personally I believe she is misinformed (and a lot of people are), but she honestly seems to want whats best for the cat.. but I think perhaps she's making this judgement based on misinformation.

Regarding your husband, my recommendation to find a breeder close to you and take him there to the stud pen still stands.. I so think if he sees and smells what it is to have unaltered cats, he'll quite possibly change his mind, and.. hearing it from someone who breeds is a whole different scenario than hearing it from us, who, for the most part, believe in spaying or neutering regardless. We all, of course, vary a little in our opinions, but I think he needs to hear it from a breeder, who has a different "foundation" and who actually does breed, and has unaltered animals. The perspective is different, and possibly more effective coming from someone who doesn't necessarily unquestioningly alter their animals.

Anyway, good luck.