Questions to ask a breeder of Maine Coons

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone :)

Ive really got my heart set on getting a Maine Coon. Ive looked at so many different breeds and ultimately, the Maine Coon is the one breed that keeps jumping out at me! They are just so beautiful! and they seem like they have great personalities.

I wanted to ask you guys about what kind of questions I should be asking a potential breeder about thier cats/kittens, to ensure that I get a healthy beautiful kitten! I'm very interested in entering into the show circuit as well. So i'd want to get a show quality kitten. 

What questions are important when talking to a breeder about show quality kittens?

Thanks for your help guys :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First make sure they are registered. Do all necessary health checks like hcm scans, hip checks

You'll need to tell the breeder you want to show and may have to wait awhile for a kitten they feel is suitable

I'd he happy to recommend some breeders to you

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First make sure they are registered. Do all necessary health checks like hcm scans, hip checks
You'll need to tell the breeder you want to show and may have to wait awhile for a kitten they feel is suitable
I'd he happy to recommend some breeders to you
Thanks missymotus! are u aware of any breeders in Australia? as thats where im located :)

Cheers

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a breeder that specializes in show kittens.  Usually they have one or so from every mating that they consider "the pick"... Most reputable breeders will give a health guarantee and recommend you take the kitten to your own vet at least 48 hours after you get it for inspection. I would suggest researching what is looked for in a show quality Maine Coon so that when you find a breeder, you'll have an easier time picking out the kitten you want and not just "taking someone else's word for it."  Also, ask the breeder if they can help you get into the show circuit.  Most breeders I know are involved in someway and are more than happy to "mentor" someone who is interested in showing, especially if they want to show one of their kittens!!  Most breeders will recommend for beginners, entering the neutered/spayed category and once you build up a name for yourself and get the hang of it, they are usually helpful in mentoring you on starting your own breeding program, if that's ultimately what you want to do.  But don't be surprised if they want you to spay/neuter the first show kittens you get. 

I have 2 Maine Coons myself!  They are very beautiful and very sweet. They are also very smart and very much clowns.  They love to have fun and make you laugh. 

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Missymotus! that would be very helpful :)

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Find a breeder that specializes in show kittens.  Usually they have one or so from every mating that they consider "the pick"... Most reputable breeders will give a health guarantee and recommend you take the kitten to your own vet at least 48 hours after you get it for inspection. I would suggest researching what is looked for in a show quality Maine Coon so that when you find a breeder, you'll have an easier time picking out the kitten you want and not just "taking someone else's word for it."  Also, ask the breeder if they can help you get into the show circuit.  Most breeders I know are involved in someway and are more than happy to "mentor" someone who is interested in showing, especially if they want to show one of their kittens!!  Most breeders will recommend for beginners, entering the neutered/spayed category and once you build up a name for yourself and get the hang of it, they are usually helpful in mentoring you on starting your own breeding program, if that's ultimately what you want to do.  But don't be surprised if they want you to spay/neuter the first show kittens you get. 

I have 2 Maine Coons myself!  They are very beautiful and very sweet. They are also very smart and very much clowns.  They love to have fun and make you laugh. 
Thanks so much for that advice! ill start looking at breed standards right now!..They really do sound like fantastic cats to have!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OFA hips and HCM screening (you can look up their hip info on the OFA website but I'm not sure if there's a database for heart screenings). Obviously their cats would need to registered--decide which registry you'd prefer to show with (CFA or TICA, if you're in the U.S.). Ask about their breeding practices to make sure you're comfortable supporting them. Go to visit their cattery to make sure their cats are well cared for. I'm sure they'll start you off with a neutered show cat--they don't give intact show cats to just anyone. Plus it's easier to get started in neuter class. Of course you'll want their cats to have a history of showing well.

I love Maine Coons. I'll likely never get a cat from a breeder but if I did it would be a Maine Coon.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to mention, that you often can dual register a cat, if they come with CFA registration you may be able to register them with TICA or vice versa. It might depend on the breeder though (if they would allow that.) My Maine Coon kitten came with CFA registration but I couldn't show her as a purebred in CFA since she is a polydactyl. However, I was able to register her with TICA by providing her CFA reg. info to them, and so I could show her in the TICA "New Traits" category (with the breeder's consent.)

However I have been told there are some differences in the preferred "look" or type of Maine Coons in CFA vs. TICA so you might want to look into that, I assume if a cat strongly had the "look" preferred in one registry they might not do as well showing in the other organization so that is something to consider too as far as doing dual registration or deciding which breeder to go with. Also some cats can do well in any type of shows so it depends, and some breeders will register with both organizations (or others like ACFA)... So I think it's only some cats who strongly fit into one "type" or the other, some are sort of in between, so this may be a moot point.

This explains the different "looks":

http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/maine-coon-1.html

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I'm very interested in entering into the show circuit as well. So i'd want to get a show quality kitten. 

If it is important to show and compete, you can perhaps take an older kitten, or even a grown up, where you know the result and psyche.

With kittens it is quite difficult to know.  Breeders try to find them, but it is not easy. You can get disapoointed.

It is of course not easy either to find this unsold, older kitten, who IS of show quality. But you can never know, it can happen.  The price was perhaps too high from the beginning. Or it get returned because of allergy...  I know several breeders who did started with such an unsold kitten as their mother queen/ show exemplar..

If the self competition isnt THAT important, you are happy just to participate, the choices are of course more wide.

At least in Sweden "not really show quality" are allowed to participate, and often do. although they of course never get any titles.

There is always also the pet "moggie" class...

Prob not what YOU dream about, but it is no bad way to begin.   :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks missymotus! are u aware of any breeders in Australia? as thats where im located :)

Cheers

Yes. That's why I suggested it, I'm in SA
I'll send you a PM

I wanted to mention, that you often can dual register a cat, if they come with CFA registration you may be able to register them with TICA or vice versa. It might depend on the breeder though (if they would allow that.)
We don't have TICA or CFA in Australia. Depending on the state the poster lives in dual registering with the appropriate governing bodies may or may not be allowed as it differs by state.

Most breeders over here neuter the kittens before they leave home

Last edited:

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. That's why I suggested it, I'm in SA
I'll send you a PM

Haha thanks so much 
I only noticed u were in SA after I posted that haha. Im in Canberra

Cheers

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for that advice! ill start looking at breed standards right now!..They really do sound like fantastic cats to have!

Breed standards are usually gobbledegock to people who don't know the breed - they are a short-hand for judges as to what the cat should look like.  If you can go to some shows and actually see the cats, and maybe listen to the judge talking as they judge (if they do that in Oz) you will learn a lot more.

I would be asking the breeder what health checks they do and can they show me the paperwork rather than asking if they do a given list - I don't want to put words in their mouths.

Looking for a registered breeder is spot-on.  It doesn't guarantee a problem-free kitten but it makes sure you are avoiding the BYBs.

BTW I thought about trying to afford one when they first appeared in the UK, but when I discussed show preparation with one of the early importers I changed to a short-hair breed!

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looking for a registered breeder is spot-on.  It doesn't guarantee a problem-free kitten but it makes sure you are avoiding the BYBs.

BTW I thought about trying to afford one when they first appeared in the UK, but when I discussed show preparation with one of the early importers I changed to a short-hair breed!
Thanks Oriental Slave :) Yes I definately want to avoid Back Yard Breeders! I'll be attending a local show next month. I'm reaasonably certain it is the kind of show that you mentioned where the judges sit there and talk about each cat. So that will be an invaluable experience for me :)
Oops sorry I didn't realize you were from Australia.

Thats ok Nekochan :) thanks for you imput! I actually found it interesting to know about dual registrations, even if it doesnt apply here in Australia lol :) And thanks to everyone else who replied! Appreciate all your advice!  Missymotus has put me in touch with some very good people :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think being in Australia may make it easier for you to find a good breeder. As I understand the Australian breeding system, there are registered breeders who are held to certain standards of conditions, practices, health testing, etc. So you just find a registered breeder and you can be reasonably assured that they aren't BYBs or mills.

In the U.S. it can be very difficult for a newbie to find a decent breeder, as the registration system means nothing in terms of the quality of the breeder. Anybody can breed registered animals; it's "buyer beware" as to their breeding practices. They may even show and still engage in substandard practices. . ."show mills". I've about given up on ever getting a purpose-bred dog because of how difficult it is to find a decent breeder with values I can support (getting a breeder cat has never really been an option as I doubt I'll run out of strays/dumped cats long enough to ever get a cat on purpose! :lol3:). It's rather disheartening.

Anyway, rant over! I'm sure missymotus has set you up with some good breeders and we'll be seeing pictures soon! Anything about OFA, CFA, or TICA obviously wouldn't apply but I'm sure Australia has equivalents.

Last edited:

ciggggg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone :) Thanks for all your replies :) Missymotus has put me in contact with a fantastic Maine Coon breeder here in Australia! I've paid my deposit and now just have to wait for a future show kitten to be born! How exciting! Im sure the minute I get my baby, every cat forum in the world will be bombarded with pictures haha! :)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very exciting, hopefully you won't have too long of a wait, though of course the purrfect kitty is well worth it no matter the time.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone :) Thanks for all your replies :) Missymotus has put me in contact with a fantastic Maine Coon breeder here in Australia! I've paid my deposit and now just have to wait for a future show kitten to be born! How exciting! Im sure the minute I get my baby, every cat forum in the world will be bombarded with pictures haha! :)
I'm so, so excited for you!! You're giving me kitten fever...uh-oh!!

When I finally decided on a breeder after looking at hundreds (literally!) of websites, I contacted her to see what was available. Since I wanted the more "sweet" look as opposed to "feral," I got to see and choose the mom and dad kitty that were expecting a litter.

Maxie's breeder actually kept in constant contact with me via email sending lots of photos of him from when he was just a few days old until the day I went to Minneapolis to pick him up (he's from NC and I'm from IA). I even got to see Maxie interact with his furr mom and dad this way (via email of them all together). I also got to see his environment--lots of kitty trees, and interaction with the breeders family. Even Maxie in the litter box, and hanging off the side of a kitty tree.
I have numerous photos of Maxie that were sent by Judy before he came here that I'll forever cherish.

Because Maxie had to travel so far, and me to go pick him up, my breeder gave me her cell number so I could call after I picked him up to see how we were doing.
I pulled into a rest area outside the city and finally got to hold my little baby boy and talk to him--out of the hubbub of a busy city to a more quiet location. Then called the breeder to let her know that all was going great, and we were off for the four hour drive home. I sang to him, talked to him, put my hand in the carrier, and just felt this immense love for him. I felt like I already knew him because of all the photos.

I can't wait to be bombarded by photos!! I'll give ya the Maine Coon fever by posting one of Maxie...

Maxie as a wee youngster a couple weeks before he came to us--his lynx tips (or Angel Ears as I call them) were very long even as a tot (he's eating w/his furr parents):

I loves me my Maine Coons! In case ya couldn't tell.
Wonderful breed! I'm shutting up now!

P.S. Aw...I also love my two rescues just as much--they're all unique. Wouldn't trade any of them for anything in the world.