Questions & questions

Hjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have 4 cats. 1 male who got neutered 4 weeks ago & the rest are females; unspayed!

1. When can I let my male cat; Bandit go around the unspayed females, without risk of impregnating with residual sperm?

2. Before bandits nueter, he impregnated one of the other females; Gaia. Right before his nueter they got into a really bad fight, one i haven’t seen before absolutely terrifying!!! They’re separated and have been since, the day after she gave birth and still darts at him to attack if she accidentally gets out. Will they get along again once the kitten is rehomed? Do we need to get her spayed to be able to get along with him again? or is it best to find new homes? i love them all and really need help from other cat lovers!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is likely that Gala was protecting her domain and herself even before she delivered. Hormones can last a while in a neutered male, so that probably also played a role. She is also likely readying herself for another litter, so anything is possible in terms of how she might react to him. Female cats can go into heat again even when they are nursing.

I don't know what your plans are, but it would be best to spay all the females, and after they have recovered, start a re-introduction process. Once everyone's hormones have settled down, it may not be necessary, but be prepared anyway.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To answer your first question, he should be "safe" after eight weeks. Some four, but up to eight, so don't take chances.

Females can be extremely territorial, due to their instinct to establish and maintain a safe territory for rearing their offspring. This instinct is present 24/7/365, but is at its most extreme when the female is pregnant and/or has kittens. It is, to a lesser degree, present even after spaying. Removing ovaries doesn't remove millions of years of instinct...HOWEVER, it does calm down quite a bit! Yes, get your females spayed, and after they are recovered, being reintroducing Bandit to them. By then, he'll be safe to be around them.

And don't, once the eight weeks have passed, be alarmed if Bandit shows mating behavior. It isn't uncommon in cats who are neutered after mating habits are established. The point of neutering is to stop kittens, and it will still do that. It doesn't always happen, but it can. AND your females will let him know in no uncertain terms when they are not interested.